Thread: ML Boatworks Vision 20 and 40 tunnels carbon and glass

Default ML Boatworks Vision 20 and 40 tunnels carbon and glass

I wanted to share with you a couple new things I am working on. I am so happy I cannot stand it. I now have the Vision 20 and 40 outboard tunnel molds, and have already started working on new builds to getting them back out to people who have been waiting for several months as Shawn, the previous owner/ designer, decided not to build anymore. I am taking them to another level, with carbon interior layups for much added strength and durability, and now, MLB is using Duratec Hi Gloss Clear additive to the gel coat used on any new hulls I make. The pics below show how a part can look right out of the mold. The Duratec adds more strength to the gel coat, as well as allowing for a higher gloss polish. I am going to do various color top decks/ cowlings as well and have many pigments already on their way here. This will be a build thread, and for customers to share their setups if they want! It has been over 4 years since I got out of building my wood tunnel kits that PTI Racing now offers, and I have been itching for an opportunity to do composite tunnels for some time. This was a great opportunity to take on a internationally recognized, and championship winning hull line up. Enjoy, Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

And the first ones out of the mold!

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Wow, nice Mike!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Very nice, as usual!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks guys. Here is some more info and pics!

I am really happy with the results thus far. I laid up a complete carbon fiber 20 hull, that I am classifying as a "Mod 20" hull per Shawn's weight recommendations. I also did a white 40 carbon fiber cowling made over the weekend. Next up is a 40 size yellow deck and cowling with carbon fiber. The materials for starting that color arrive today. Lots going on, but I am really pleased with how well these molds were made, and how well the boats lay up in them. So easy to work with. Also, the sponsons laid out very squarely on the Granite table, so I know this thing is going to be very very square, which is very important in the grand scheme of things!

-

Nice!

Yellow Vision 40 deck and cowling, carbon layup. Turned out very nice! I cannot wait to see it trimmed and bonded. More soon, Mike

-

Looks like you just about have mine done! Lol

Simply incredible. I'm glad somebody with your skills still plays with toys like the rest of us! :)

Awesome work!!!
    Do you have a time frame for availability? And where to order?
    Rick

I have a running preorder list. I suspect 2 months as the list is around 10 hulls so far. Here is the current price list until I add it to the website.

20 glass is $280,
    20 carbon interior layup is $310,
    40 glass is $335,
    40 carbon interior layup is $360,
    Prices include a radio box kit, and whitw gel coat. Additional colors are $25 for a top deck and cowl, $20 for a colored bottom.

I'm back from Vacation, and back in the shop. I trimmed out the yellow Vision 40, and will use this 40 and 20 to score the molds the way I want to trim them each and every time, so all future hulls will look the same. The yellow hull is actually now getting a yellow bottom per the customers request, so the white one is just for an example. I have to say, these boats are really looking good. I am getting back in the shop tonight to layup more hulls, and start making tongues for the cowls and adding metal in the transom. More soon!

-

Just finishing up this beautiful Chartreuse Green, White bottom Vision 40:

-

Bad to the bone !!!
    Rick