Thread: SAW Sponsons

Default SAW Sponsons

Hi.I am after a set of SAW sponsons for a 6s rigger.Thanks

Don’t be surprised if no one answers. SAW sponsons are part of the secret recipe racers are unlikely to share. I suggest you start with a JAE sponson and then test and modify. Try different widths and angles of attack till you are satisfied.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Thank you for your input.Its funny you say JAE sponsons as i have tried them with sucsess.They fell apart on the last run i had.Maybe i should be asking if someone has a SAW rigger for sale

Once you get to a certain speed SAW rigger sponsons and their booms become expendable items. I build 6 pairs of sponsons for new SAW boats these days as any crash it almost a guarantee a sponson and/or boom will break.

I came up with a good system where I would design the sponson as a 2D profile similar to a JAE with my own angles. I would buy a 12"x48" sheet of foam and birch ply and make a large sandwhich panel. I would laser cut an acrylic router template and using T-pins to hold the template on the sandwhich panel using a trim bit I would cut as many sponsons as I could from a single sheet. The router template also had plunge holes where the boom tubes would go making it easy to have consistent boom placement. I would then glue on ride pads and bond in tubes for the boom.

Later versions used a center rib in the sponson and laser cut wood frames. The routing was necessary to trim the foam to the sponsons. Notice how I also hollowed out the sponsons to keep them light.

IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0503.jpgIMG_0504.jpgIMG_0505.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Wow.That is awsome.I have a pair of JAE i am working on now.Looks like you have a pair of sponsons for me. hehe or would you be willing to make me some working with mine and your design.Thanks

Sorry I only build SAW components for teammates.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Randy Naylor at BBY Racing may be your man, I know he has built SAW boats for profit in the past.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Tyler, I would never ask you to tell us all your secrets but is there an AOA range that's sensible for a sprint boat and an AOA range that's sensible for a SAW boat? haha And never the tween shall meet?
    Noisy person

Terry, they tend to be different and the width of the ride pad changes too.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525