Thread: esc cooling question

Default esc cooling question

IMG_4638.jpg

OK so I've got a 2'crackerbox nearly complete. Since this was my first attempt and its for the 8 year old grandson (don't want to break speed records just yet), I went with a brushed motor, and parts from the local hobby shop. I took the boat in and said I didn't want to break the bank, but want decent stuff. So they set me up with brushed motor and a Horizon air cooled ESC. Since there is no airflow inside the hull, I have been toying around with either buying an esc water cooling heat plate, or, cutting a 30-35 mm square hole in the hull below the water line and installing aluminum plate to cover the hole (flush to the rest of the hull), epoxy it in place, and viola(!), cooling plate with all the water one could ask for! I would mount the 'fin' side of the ESC against the plate with some epoxy and heat sink goop.

Any thoughts?
    -MEC

I have often thought of doing just this. As long as it is not getting hot it should be fine. Heat tends to break down epoxy.

Shawn.

Thanks for the tip. I may look at using superglue, contact or some other high temp glue.

Superglue(cynacrylic) is worse with heat, not to mention putting off cyanide gas when heated(also doesn’t sand or smooth well).
    BUT...
    What kind of power is planned? If it is tame things won’t likely get hot, maybe warm but with an aluminum plate in the water it can’t really get too warm. Just as long as it is riding on the water and not getting airborne too much.

Another option here is a small brushless computer fan. They actually make them for ESC’s.

My apologies, I neglected to see the picture you have in the first post. How about running some aluminum tube across the ESC fins? Thru the would be even better. Then just run the water line to those tubes and then to motor.

As long as you don't over prop it you should be fine. the Brushed Shockwave26'' years ago did fine without the fan. As I understand yours is a 24''. I believe they ran a 6 or 7 cell NHID batteries, not lipos.
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

Thanks...I did find a water cooling plate on th ose store. Going this route instead of tearing up the hull...