Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JAE33FE Build

Not the greatest quality video but you can see my JAE run.

Going quite well. maybe move the batteries up abit closer towards motor also you could even try ABC 1815-17 or 1817-17 props. guys have had more speed from these props.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    Going quite well. maybe move the batteries up abit closer towards motor also you could even try ABC 1815-17 or 1817-17 props. guys have had more speed from these props.
    Thanks i'll scoot them up a little, had them directly over battery tray during this run. I'll have to order some props to try next. I think I just got the turn fin adjusted correctly, was lifting in turns but seems good after last correction.

Here is another run on packs that are well used. The guys I run boats with are trying to get me to enter a race and set out some buoys to get used to..

Quote Originally Posted by M3Bluegsr View Post
    Here is another run on packs that are well used. The guys I run boats with are trying to get me to enter a race and set out some buoys to get used to.
    I’m going through this debate with a friend. I say you only get better racing by racing. Jump in, get feet wet. Anyways, thanks for sharing build, starting mine this week. Can not wait to get this one wet.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y

Just re-read your quote and wanted to clarify. You would need one lipo 6S 4000mah, two 6s 2000mah packs in parallel, or 2 3S - 4000mah packs in series. Series doubles voltage but keeps capacity the same, where parallel doubles capacity and keeps voltage the same.
    You are correct. As long as you have the same prop speed (load) by using a proportionally lower Kv you will only draw 2/3 the amps on 6 cell so you only need 2/3 the capacity (mah) for the same run time. In this example as long as you have 22.2v and 4000 mah you can use any battery combination. If you have a 4 cell set up pulling 90 amps you are making 1332 watts. (14.8 x 90 = 1332) For 1332 watts on 6 cell (1332 div by 22.2v) = 60a. If you run 2 - 6P in parallel each battery, connector, wire only draws 30a. You don't need high dollar 100c packs for 30a draw.
    Of course if you run a class that limits battery to 4 cell then you are stuck with high amp draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    I’m going through this debate with a friend. I say you only get better racing by racing. Jump in, get feet wet. Anyways, thanks for sharing build, starting mine this week. Can not wait to get this one wet.
    Welcome. Races look like a blast and will probably research classes / enter next race they attend. The guys I drive with all have different boat types, so we just run for fun, and would have to race at another club. Driving in traffic and those "rolling" starts are what I would really need to practice. Anyways good luck with your build and post some pics..

As long as it’s having fun, all that matters.Rolling starts are nice.I’ll put a thread together on mine. Thank you.

If you havn,t raced r/c boats you don,t know what your missing. playing around with a boat on your own is quite boring but once you get the racing bug you will love it plus you strive to get more and more speed from your hull so you can beat your mates. In our club we race 5 boats per heat and its awesome fun, especially with the quick hulls. so find a club or whatever and race.

Keep in mind guys that if you ever decide to race....a 34" JAE rigger was designed for 4s. On 6s you'll be racing guys in the 40" range that are running 6s and pulling 200 amps. You won't be racing guys at the watts equivelant to a 4s boat. Those bigger boats cut giant holed in the pond.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Keep in mind guys that if you ever decide to race....a 34" JAE rigger was designed for 4s. On 6s you'll be racing guys in the 40" range that are running 6s and pulling 200 amps. You won't be racing guys at the watts equivalent to a 4s boat. Those bigger boats cut giant holes in the pond.
    It would however get to the scene of the accident very quickly!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Just watched Ty run a Q mono in open mono at the CanAm. Went exactly like you would expect.
    Noisy person

I started out in this hobby when I was around 10 years old racing off-road cars and wouldn't mind catching the racing sickness again. Is there a "cheat sheet" on the racing classes that mention basic info like what T.S. Davis mentioned to quick reference? I've flipped through the long rule books and can be confusing. Probably obvious to racers, but my JAE would be in "P" rigger: racing 4 cell riggers up to 60"? What would be motor length/size limits, battery capacity limits (if any)? Nice to have a sheet that shows most popular classes: Class, hull type/length, battery volts limits / configurations allowed, Motor size/length.

Not sure there is. Maybe I'll make one. That would be handy for a new guy. Sort of a "here's what to expect" or maybe "here's what works.......ish" kind of thing.
    Noisy person

Normally if your going to race the 4s class there are 2 x classes such as limited and unlimited which means the limited class will be motor kv and possibly esc size limited and the unlimited class will be as it says [ Unlimited ] in motor and esc sizes but you still must stay with 4s battery size. The JAE-33 is a perfect 4s unlimited class rigger for both classes.

Is there a "cheat sheet" on the racing classes that mention basic info like what T.S. Davis mentioned to quick reference? Probably obvious to racers, but my JAE would be in "P" rigger: racing 4 cell riggers up to 60"? What would be motor length/size limits, battery capacity limits (if any)? Nice to have a sheet that shows most popular classes: Class, hull type/length, battery volts limits / configurations allowed, Motor size/length.
    This is the 2 pages I always look at.
    DD971F42-6545-49D6-81B5-A2861B2982A6.jpg
    AB330A7D-C4ED-47CD-BE4B-623C619D6927.jpg

I think to look to see what classes are being run, I’d look at racemaster or club finishing in your area to get a good idea.
    Racemaster: https://www.racemastersevents.com/indexrm.php

Hope this helps you.

There is a difference between organizations too. IMPBA vs NAMBA. Minor but they exist.

If you're even remotely interested in maybe possibly racing sometime in the future, find out what the local yocals are running. Most of the time those guys will tell you exactly what their setups are. Right down to the danged prop. Racers are a weird group. Most dig it when they're challenged. Especially if it's by a newer guy. Blowing a guy doors off is a drag. Unless you know them really well. Then do it for sure. haha

Chances are high that if you find guys that race....... you'll want to also. It's a great group of humans overall. The intensity that you would think racers would have is watered down by their desire to just have a good time and a few laughs. It aint F1 i what I'm say'n.
    Noisy person

FYI: I was convinced, going to try P-Limited Mono this November at OCD race.

IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg

nice hull.

FYI: I was convinced, going to try P-Limited Mono this November at OCD race.
    Man, I was supposed to debut new car at a show, it’s not gonna hit deadline. I’m thinking I may drop in for p-limited mono. We got our p riggers out sunday. Ken haines is good. My friend Eric is good. Mine, I neglected rudder set up and flipped and dunked it. Fired it up today, it’s good. Need the magical unobtainium h7 everyone talks about. Another friend Albert, bought the second rigger from me. You wanna come test Sunday in Melbourne, we’ll be there. P limited mono and cat,p mono, p hydro, q hydro, maybe my t mono...I’m scared of hooking it up...lol... 10s 10,000mah is just scary.
    Last edited by ETOWNE; 10-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    Man, I was supposed to debut new car at a show, it’s not gonna hit deadline. I’m thinking I may drop in for p-limited mono. We got our p riggers out sunday. Ken haines is good. My friend Eric is good. Mine, I neglected rudder set up and flipped and dunked it. Fired it up today, it’s good. Need the magical unobtainium h7 everyone talks about. Another friend Albert, bought the second rigger from me. You wanna come test Sunday in Melbourne, we’ll be there. P limited mono and cat,p mono, p hydro, q hydro, maybe my t mono...I’m scared of hooking it up...lol... 10s 10,000mah is just scary.
    Sorry just saw this, try to make it out to OCD race, I may need some help. Also trying to get boat done, so I can have a little bit of time to test..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12