Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radtek 92" hpr 233

Default Radtek 92" hpr 233

Hello... new to the board. Going to be putting down a deposit on a Radtek 92" hull. I was hoping to get information on the best battery esc motor combo to run around 80mph. As well as type of propellers needed to accomplish that. New to boat rc. Have raced nitro on road cars for a long time. Seems the boats have very tailored specific stuff. Thanks for any and all help.

Is this hull 92 inches long or 92 cms ?

Inches. It's the hpr 233

sorry i can,t advise on motor / esc etc power but its not going to be cheap to set this monster hull up for electric, thats for sure.

hope you got deep pockets LOL
    that's a HUGE undertaking for a first FE boat

Money isn't the issue making sure I get the right stuff is what's important. I've been looking at escs, motors etc. I see swordfish and MGM escs are pretty badass, Poseidon and Scorpion motors look like quality stuff.

Haven't looked at batteries. As in on road racing barriers are endless. I will take my time and educate myself along the way. Have nothing but time.

Budget no object, how fast do you wish to go? I am building a 60 inch cat and that is as big as I would want to go.

If I could make it go 80mph I would be super happy. I figured a hull that size shouldn't be going 30mph. If that isn't possible then as fast as I could make it go safely without burning electronics down.

I would recommend Lehner 3080 series motors in the 500 to 700Kv range running on 12S/side. I run the MGM 40063's in my 73" Mystic with Lehner 3060's and everything works together fantastic, I can't really think of anything else I would put in the 233 that is actually for sale at the moment. Actually, TP 5870 is a very large motor that would work too I'm sure, I have one that is going into my 70" Deep V. Props, you'll need a bunch of sets but somewhere around an X470 but starting smaller around 65mm or a bit less of course, that massive hull needs a good amount of bite to get it up on step and something serious to keep it moving. Just so you are aware, the bigger the hull the harder they fall (crash), make sure you take the time to really beef the hull up with bracing and extra layups, a boat that big lifting off the water at 80mph can be your worst day at the lake.

Good luck with the build and keep us in the loop.

Lehner 3080/10 with an MGM 40063 per side with 12S2P per side.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Oh yeah 2P of course but I have even heard of guys running 3P/side in the 233, that would even fit in my 72".

What manufactures should I look at for the batteries? Does gen ace make that configuration? Thanks everyone. Getting some great information!!!!

10mm or 8mm or the Kenner 3080?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonracer78 View Post
    What manufactures should I look at for the batteries? Does gen ace make that configuration? Thanks everyone. Getting some great information!!!!
    Personally I like REVO cells but the guys here can chime in on some other top quality cells if they want, I use 70C 5000ma "Gopacks". As for configuration, the packs won't come in 2P or 3P, you will be needing to solder up some wiring harnesses so you can run them in parallel (P) using 8awg wire and something along the lines of 8mm gold connectors being sure to keep all wiring as short as possible. Just the battery project alone on these large boats is an undetaking soldering-wise. OK so in other words, you'll have two 6S packs in series to give you the required 12S voltage then a second set like same as this wired up with the parallel wiring harnesses you made which would of course get you the "2P" we're talking about so a total of 10,000ma @ 48v/motor. Remember this is on each side of the hull running to each motor...that's alot of 6S packs(8 in total) and a seriously dangerous amount of juice so be ultra careful when doing any of this work including setting the boat up before a run. You will really have to be on top of monitoring your cells as time goes on, one bad cell in the system can cause a catastrophe and with such an investment...well you can imagine. You really should always use the best cells you can especially when you are paralleling them all together with this voltage and amperage consumption.

10mm or 8mm or the Kenner 3080?
    Definitely 10mm

Oh and while we're here, on the esc's you need to make sure and run some big capacitor banks, MGM offers this as an addon to their esc's, don't skip them.

Thanks everyone! Awesome information I'm getting!!!! I race 1/8 scale nitro onroad cars which so far these boats seem to be on a whole new level. I've always wanted to try large scale rc. I dig the catamaran look!

Next question we are talking about 48v when all said and done. I am not one to mess around with my batteries. Is there anyone I could just pay to set me up a couple of packs? I'm not really up to speed on the battery side of the RC world. A receiver pack is about all I run! Lol and a whole lot of nitro fuel!

Next question, a gentleman on this board was selling the king of shaves hpr 233. He has to really cool looking engine scoops. Does anyone know where these can be purchased.

Thanks again everyone. Many more questions to come.

Lehmer 3080 ordered yikes on price!

Hull is in line to be poured. I think I'm 3rd in line. Purchased the outdrives and a by ch of other stuff RADTEK offers.

Well you certainly are deciding to go "Large Scale"!...heck my 72" Cat is alot of work to get to the lake, I hope you have a strong back or a strong RC partner. You need to fabricate some kind of rolling sled to move the boat around if you are on your own, I've seen guys modify golf cart's with success and not too expensive. Ideally you will have a large vehicle to move it as well, I have a station wagon for my boat and it just fits, you may need a trailer!

One thing I would suggest is you get a quality soldering station and start practicing, I recommend the brand HAKKO. Even if you find someone to do your batteries you'll always need the skills with soldering down the road and its actually rewarding and can be enjoyable. You are also going to need to be good at soldering for the motor connectors, esc connectors and some other bits and pieces. Do you have any local RC buddies that can help guide you?

It's exciting once you start ordering parts and even better when they start arriving, only thing that sucks is getting your credit card bill!

Not trying to freak you out but check out this vid of a poor guys 233 catching fire, I've had this sort of thing happen more times than I care to elaborate on but luckily not in any of my high end boats. You can take all the precautions in the World but there is always a risk when dealing with these sorts of beasts. Hopefully in the near future these things will be in the past once cell technology presents an improved technology, actually for anyone reading this that has Netflix, a great documentary I just watched is called; "Search for the super battery"...some pretty cool stuff coming.

I have the hakko. I've been into RC since I was 8 so I'm pretty knowledgeable with most stuff. I totally get this is oranges and apples. Soldering escs to motors and connectors not a problem. Routing wires and tinning them first I got that down. Assembly and fabricating stuff not a problem. I need help with mainly the battery side of things. I'm a nitro guy but started with electric onroad 2s grapheine batteries. Basic stuff. I saw that video and at 12s a side it's a huge difference in what I am use to. Puffing a 80 2s battery I'm sure is cheap compared to a 12s. Lol

Lonewolf: I have a Ford econoline 150 van that I measured and at 92" it will just barely fit inside. Lol I was thinking about fabbing like a slide out rack. Then to a go cart stand. I use to race go carts and I have a stand that has 4 casters with a nice beefy padded platform that your cart would sit on. I think it will be perfect. Waist high so no bending over if you need to work on the boat before launching.

Contact Mark at Dinogy Lipos. He can build packs for you.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I have the hakko. I've been into RC since I was 8 so I'm pretty knowledgeable with most stuff. I totally get this is oranges and apples. Soldering escs to motors and connectors not a problem. Routing wires and tinning them first I got that down. Assembly and fabricating stuff not a problem. I need help with mainly the battery side of things. I'm a nitro guy but started with electric onroad 2s grapheine batteries. Basic stuff. I saw that video and at 12s a side it's a huge difference in what I am use to. Puffing a 80 2s battery I'm sure is cheap compared to a 12s. Lol

Lonewolf: I have a Ford econoline 150 van that I measured and at 92" it will just barely fit inside. Lol I was thinking about fabbing like a slide out rack. Then to a go cart stand. I use to race go carts and I have a stand that has 4 casters with a nice beefy padded platform that your cart would sit on. I think it will be perfect. Waist high so no bending over if you need to work on the boat before launching.
    OK great, good to know that you have a handle on it and looks like Tyler has a perfect lead there for you.

Your Van sounds perfect, you have it all figured out, having that gocart background is sure helpful for this. I would enjoy seeing some pics of the setup when it's all done. This kinda makes me think an old Ambulance would work perfectly too with one of those wheeled stretchers for the boat LOL!...funny as heck but it would be so perfect haha. The whole bending over ordeal is a real problem and again your idea solves this, nice work!

Looking forward to watching your project unfold.

Lonewolf.... That's exactly what i was thinking. Ambulance slide out right onto go kart cart. I will def update photos as I get stuff as well as progress photos.

Lonewolf... you seem to be super knowledgeable with this large scale stuff. On this site the king of shaves hpr 233 was being sold. There were 2 really cool engine bay scoops. Do you know who manufactures them or are they a one off piece. Thanks for all the info.

Well I've learned alot from my mistakes(like all of us here) and in some cases these mistakes have been pretty costly. There are alot of true experts on the boards here that have been around forever that actually race etc and these are the guys you really need to listen to.

When you start building make sure and ask questions here first because there are so many very skilled builders here with endless tips and tricks, I don't wanna name any names for fear of leaving anybody out, just take the time and really think things through and ask away, the guys here are really helpful even if they have not built a 92" Cat, most of the tricky parts will be similar irregardless of the hull or Cat in this case. Of course I'll help any way I can.

As for those cool engine scoops, sorry I missed that in a previous response. I'm not sure where you could find them other than using Google, try "Large scale RC engine scoops" etc...I'll look around too. Maybe someone reading this has a better idea and will chime in. Personally the one thing I would worry about when adding these external details is the fear of them coming off in a crash, I know they look super cool but a simple blow over or barrel roll and all those carefully installed little bits and piece's quickly turn into Lego pieces...but don't get me wrong, I think if you installed them it would be really nice, maybe you could make them removable with screws from the inside into threads on the underside of the scoops with brass threaded inserts?

OK all for now...

For scoops I found something that might work, I didn't look super close at the various sizes but worth a look;

RC Air Scoops

Lone wolf. Scoops are dope!!!! That's California slang for cool!

https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/...ls/air-scoops/

Stuff with flotation, velcro on. After flip they won't tear up the hull - they'll come off and just float around

You might also consider one of these (look closely-you'll see the towline) just IN CASE

SAW stills Thursday towing hpr.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 07-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    Not trying to freak you out but check out this vid of a poor guys 233 catching fire, I've had this sort of thing happen more times than I care to elaborate on but luckily not in any of my high end boats. You can take all the precautions in the World but there is always a risk when dealing with these sorts of beasts. Hopefully in the near future these things will be in the past once cell technology presents an improved technology, actually for anyone reading this that has Netflix, a great documentary I just watched is called; "Search for the super battery"...some pretty cool stuff coming.

does anyone know why this poor guy's boat blew up? we might learn something ?!

My guess would be a bad cell or an esc went poof under the extreme loads and started the dreaded chain reaction once on shore. IMO his driving style was a little too "punchy" for such a huge hull, if you watch the vid again around 10-12 seconds in he pins the throttle after a slow tight corner, can only wonder what sort of strain the esc's went through there, personally I try and ease into the throttle when accelerating from slower speeds and out of corners with these bigger boats. I'm sure he was using big cap banks to help protect the esc's but if not, well that would be a culprit and/or too much length of wiring which causes huge voltage spikes to the esc. I've had cells go off in my boats a couple times, yeah on shore they register as healthy cells beforehand but then try putting a few hundred amps through them especially nearer the end of a run and...kaboom...or maybe more like what we saw in the vid, a "pfffttt!"...yeah poor guy especially when he got home and tried explaining to the wife about the smell and huge and expensive loss!...been there

Did a quick dig and found this link from here in 2009, explains everything however alot of it is translated but you can get the gist of it...in a nutshell it was a Schulze esc that shorted and then sent the cells into a massive short. I'm surprised it wasn't even worse, I had a 6S pack go off on my bench and it was insanity with flames up to the ceiling!

Norbert's HPR 233

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast