Thread: Playing with the big boys!

Default Playing with the big boys!

This is the result of racing with the big boys, gas boats 60" plus, they hate it when you beat them with a pursuit, but they just seem to completely fail to get off the gas and avoid smashing over other boats.

20180701_163406.jpg

My poor little pursuit, it will have to get a repaint later in the year now!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Haha, love it. Hang in there Peter

Yeah I was leading into the last turn, stuffed in and came up under the 60+" MHZ boat that was chasing me. For not backing off or turning out he ended upside down. That's racing but it sucks to have to fix the boat again. The best part was suckering two boats into crossing the start early in both the last two heats, hard going in the tsunami size wakes those boats make, couldn't even get to full throttle!

Yup that wake is killer from the gassers. They are setup to be ‘stuck’ to the water.
    I was running with a few at the now defunct pond with my DF 35 and I was good if in front but if there was a rogue wake I was over.
    I applaud your running Peter. Try and get some vid please.
    Shawn

Ah, memories (Tyler driving my DF33 in an "open class" sprint race)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6JneLQ4v-g
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Gassers use welded metal starting tables at the water's edge. They've been known to jump out in front of you..................

donutcrashnotfixd.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I race against gas guys all the time.. can’t put the blame on them.. sometimes it just happens

I'm a gas guy too and am offended by this post...
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I'm a gas guy too and am offended by this post...
    Here ya go

beano.jpg

Truthfully, the D19 gassers are responsible for the rebirth of FE racing in SoCal. Great guys all

(they do however churn up the h20 some )

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Gassers use welded metal starting tables at the water's edge. They've been known to jump out in front of you..................

donutcrashnotfixd.jpg
    Hi Tony,
    How are you?!
    That is pretty impressive damage, but your repair was even more impressive and spectacular.

Happy 4th of July.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Hi Tony,
    How are you?!
    That is pretty impressive damage, but your repair was even more impressive and spectacular.

Happy 4th of July.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Thanks Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    I race against gas guys all the time.. can’t put the blame on them.. sometimes it just happens
    You haven't seen our guys run! They are real good at not letting go the throttle and smashing another boat. Race haze of some sort, a need to have to try and win at all costs, get inside of the other boat and beat them to the corner or at the corner regardless of whether there is room or not. Happens too often.
    Yep sometimes things just happen, but often it can be avoided, especially if you would rather finish with an undamaged boat rather than just win a club day race.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    You haven't seen our guys run! They are real good at not letting go the throttle and smashing another boat. Race haze of some sort, a need to have to try and win at all costs, get inside of the other boat and beat them to the corner or at the corner regardless of whether there is room or not. Happens too often.
    Yep sometimes things just happen, but often it can be avoided, especially if you would rather finish with an undamaged boat rather than just win a club day race.
    In NAMBA D19 events (IC or FE) the first and second place finishers of a heat must act as corner judges for the next heat. Infraction lap penalties and DQ's are dished out as needed.
    Last edited by properchopper; 07-04-2018 at 05:02 PM.

We can struggle for numbers on club days, sometimes only having one person to help launch and another to lap count. The launcher usually goes and helps the lap counter call dead boats etc. Sometimes "spare' people are just busy sorting their boats between heats etc etc. All the usual stuff. Working on it....
    1st and 2nd as corner judges, not a bad idea that, I will keep that in mind for the future.

In order to eliminate crooked judging/favoritism we sometimes have found the need to resort to unquestionably trustworthy judges

nuns.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    In order to eliminate crooked judging/favoritism we sometimes have found the need to resort to unquestionably trustworthy judges

nuns.jpg
    Too many boats, not enough time...