Thread: Miss Vegas Conversion #154287548

Default Miss Vegas Conversion #154287548

Hi guys. Well, everyone else did it 7 years ago, so clearly its time for me to do it too.

Started with a reasonable Vegas donor that had blown its original Nitro powerplant.

20171026_160152.jpg

From there I cleaned out the hull. The original wooden engine mounts were a PAIN to get out. Dremeled to death.

20171026_143919.jpg

20171026_143902.jpg

TBC

Cleaned out the hull, and then sanded back the original clear coat as I was waiting for all the hardware to arrive from OSE.

20171031_162313.jpg

Just rubbed it over with 400 grit wet and dry.
    Hmm looking at the photos, apparently thats 2 beers work.

Look what turned up in the post.

20171102_220541.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hastykiwi View Post
    Hmm looking at the photos, apparently thats 2 beers work.
    All worthwhile projects are measured this way!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

During the interim, I glassed the bottom of the hull, for strength, plus added some ply to form the base for the motor mount.

The mount then went in recessed in to the ply. Must say its a bit of a pain as the motor wouldn't sit low enough to line up flat with the flex shaft, so I suspect I have done what most others have and tilted the motor onto the shaft. Anyway its in, with the rest of the drive train cut and fitted.

20171202_133049.jpg20171202_133057.jpg20171202_133117.jpg

Also cut about 5cm off the shaft tube for flex in the shaft.

I've left the original servo box mounts in for the servo platform.
    Last edited by Hastykiwi; 12-03-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Had a couple of minor glassing fills to do next, ( bloody uncontrolled dremel),

20171202_144101.jpg

so while they dried I masked up the hardware for the primer coat.

20171202_144045.jpg

20171202_144039.jpg
    Last edited by Hastykiwi; 12-03-2017 at 04:56 AM.

and voila! The Grey Ghost emerges. (Another two beers later...)

20171202_215652.jpg

20171202_215714.jpg

Well thats the end of a busy day. Next will be to drop the main coats on, and reinstall the hardware.

At this point I've not purchased a radio or batteries, so the end is still a bit down the road.

Time for another beer then.....

Cheers Boys.

Is the conversion still being done? I have just listed a couple Miss Vegas Deuces for sale, but will be doing conversion to electric if I don't get any reasonable offers....

Quote Originally Posted by Tomthevet View Post
    Is the conversion still being done? I have just listed a couple Miss Vegas Deuces for sale, but will be doing conversion to electric if I don't get any reasonable offers....
    Yes indeed. It is full speed ahead, ..... at walking pace. More an indictment of my ability to plan and organize my time.

SO..,

20180106_210919.jpg

the beginnings of a paint job. I have not done this before with the layering of paint to get the strips etc, so I learn't a lot, whilst making a fair number of mistakes in the masking dept.

Right now I'm making a mount for the ESC. I have glassed in a couple of wooden mounts. Still have to buy batteries. Next is mount for the servo and receiver. Slow progress because I have to work on the weight distribution as I get the components. Tonight I am applying clear coat on the hull. A bit of work to do on the cover as the extra paint has made fitting a bit tight. Will put up some photos tommoz.

cheers
    Nick

I was one of those who did this 9 years ago. Looks good, one thing to consider is making a sub hatch and then attaching the cowl with some thumb screws. My dad has one without a sub hatch and man does he grumble about taping the cowl down!
    Looks good and good luck with the build
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Well I promised photos so I had to get my ass into gear. I've clear coated the hull, but not the canopy. There were a couple of cracks that appeared around the nose which required a re-glass and touch ups.

20180211_130726.jpg
    20180211_130156.jpg

Also made a mount for the ESC and glassed it. Still need to trim it off.

20180211_130202.jpg

And it will sit thus...

20180211_130218.jpg

It will be cable tied down.

BTW, for all those that have responded, thanks for the really positive posts. I know I am making mistakes on this build, which while I would prefer not to, it is a first time so I'm relaxed about it. Having said that, its nice getting constructive positive replies that at least implicitly acknowledge the effort you put in and the intent, even if its not the perfect result.

So, I tip my hat to you guys for a great attitude, and to the lads who actually do produce high quality results.

Cheers Boys.
    Last edited by Hastykiwi; 02-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Great update...I was under the impression that it was possible to just leave the stock waterproof box and steering servo within it, and mount the esc on the top of the box. That way I could use battery placement alone to help determine proper weight distribution/ center of gravity. Is this just wishfull thinking? Also, if a slightly smaller diameter motor was selected, would that make it much easier to line up with the flex shaft? (Like 28 mm?). Am a nooby, and the simpler the better, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomthevet View Post
    Great update...I was under the impression that it was possible to just leave the stock waterproof box and steering servo within it, and mount the esc on the top of the box. That way I could use battery placement alone to help determine proper weight distribution/ center of gravity. Is this just wishfull thinking? Also, if a slightly smaller diameter motor was selected, would that make it much easier to line up with the flex shaft? (Like 28 mm?). Am a nooby, and the simpler the better, for me.
    You and me both. I mentioned some of the mistakes I've made along the way. They include weight distribution amongst others. I think I placed the motor to far aft, thinking only about where the mount was going. That means I have to work the rest of the weight through the batts, ESC etc. The original radio box is fine to use, its just in my case it had disintegrated somewhat after years sitting in the shed. I reckon if you can get the motor where the original nitro was, batt box the same, then you're right, u just have manipulate batteries. My issue isn't width, but the reducing height between the floor and deck as the batteries move forward. Also I think leaving the motor more forward will reduce the need for angle on the motor.

Fun finding all this out though.

Good Work!!!
    I'm currently in the middle of a Vegas conversion as well...
    Keep us posted!!!

Looks great! You have an awfull lot of flex between the stuffing tube and coupler, under hard acceleration it tend to want to knot up and break . Look into a flex cable saver they are cheap compared to a prop. Put it as close to the stuffing tube as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Looks great! You have an awfull lot of flex between the stuffing tube and coupler, under hard acceleration it tend to want to knot up and break . Look into a flex cable saver they are cheap compared to a prop. Put it as close to the stuffing tube as possible.
    Sweet idea. What is it I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Hastykiwi View Post
    Sweet idea. What is it I'm looking for?
    This is what Beaux suggested: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80072
    But you could also go the shaft seal/saver route: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=aero-sts-125

Here is one that is close to you: http://www.rcboatbitz.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2564

I now see that you have just the Teflon coming up thru the hull, the flex saver would be the option then.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I now see that you have just the Teflon coming up thru the hull, the flex saver would be the option then.
    Cool. Thanks for the help..

Hey guys,
    massively slack finishing this thread, but here we go. Got the boat done, and took it for a test. The Nostradamus above who mentioned the amount of flex exposed was proven correct. Under load about 30secs into its second run it developed a whip in the flex cable, which buggered that up. Soooo, another flex cable later and the addition of another section of stuffing tube in the aforementioned spot, and we have a drive line that runs pretty smooth. It runs pretty well on a 442, and testing with a pile of props from 3 blade 38mm to 445's etc. nothing else quite gets to the same speed on 4s. We will see what happen with a bit more battery....when I get a bit more battery.
    Anyhoo, here a vid of its second run post rehashing the drive line. I must say for a hull that was setup for 50kph on Nitro, it is so stable at 80 odd.

cheers boys.

Awesome! Looks pretty solid. Good Job.