Thread: Rotor spun on shaft

Default Rotor spun on shaft

Yesterday i managed to spin the rotor on it's shaft. During a 20 min race with my offshore endurance boat, the tow rope came loose (we have to have one), and wound up in the prop. The flex shaft held up but the shaft spun in the rotor. The motor is a TP 4060 580kv running on 10s. My thought was to swap out the rotor from another 4060 TP motor, however while the length is the same, the od of the rotor is bigger so that is a no go. It may be a little tricky to find another motor this size and kv, neither OSE or RCBB (where it came from) have anything low enough in kv.
    So for the mean time, and for club day next Sunday, I am going to try fixing the shaft back into the rotor with bearing retainer. The motor runs end bell temps of <50*C so heat should not be too much of an issue, I will see if I can get some high temp resistance stuff.
    Does anyone know any other way, or even how I might find another low kv motor?
    Appreciate any advice, other than that it will be give it a crack and see what happens!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Get some Loctite 648 and glue the rotor back on the shaft. Clean it with acetone first.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Thanks Tyler, I will try that.

Well I repaired the rotor last week with loctite 680, because after checking the specs it was the better one to use, and I have some. The repair was a complete success, so much so that I managed to destroy the flex and stuffing tube yesterday! I am now thinking to put cheap couplers back in instead of the MPB one, so I have a sacrificial fail point!

20180701_163344.jpg20180701_163350.jpg