Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new guy...

So after running, the propwash setup sucks...LOL little to no flow... then tried improvising a transom pickup, (aka gluing the pickup hose to the bottom of the boat but that created a nasty hook i guess, since it ran super wet in the water... even tried moving the battery all the way back to the transom, but no dice, still super wet running...cooled like the dickens though...would piss out the outlet a good 6 inches at full speed... ran 2 3s 3300 packs and both the esc and motor were barely lukewarm... guess i gotta figure out either a transom pickup or a thru hull setup... or... convert to stinger and use a rudder pickup...maybe a good winter project... anyone have any thoughts?

Thru hull sounds like a good solution... I’ve used them and have been pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Thru hull sounds like a good solution... I’ve used them and have been pleased.
    Only downside to thru hull is i would have to strip the hull down, as theres a wood plate all the way across the back ebd of the hull, used to have reciever and reciever pack on it, and still has the steering servo... maybe i could drill a large hole in it to acess the hull? Not really sure on that one... i am honestly leaning towards a stinger drive/rudder pickup setup currently...LOL part of me wants to completely rebuild this thing from the ground up and part of me doesnt want to mess with it so i can run it...LOL biggest downside right now i have is the stock 1.5:1 gearbox setup.... props get too big and really torque the hull over... currently i am running a 47mm 1.4p 3 blade carbon... the 52mm i had before that was even worse.... i want this thing to run better...LOL

Well.... just ordered a 40mm high pitch cnc prop, a transom mount pickup and a new boot for the steering... hopefully one step closer to making this thing run at its best...i am hoping that 40mm prop will be a nice match and not torque the hull so much...

Man....OSE delivers quick...LOL new water picup and prop already in, still gotta fix the servo boot....

i've been following your thread for awhile. you have tenacity. you hung in there are kicked a field goal.
    it's not always about the fastest or the prettiest it's about the journey. my water wings off to ya!
    it's just too much fun

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    i've been following your thread for awhile. you have tenacity. you hung in there are kicked a field goal.
    it's not always about the fastest or the prettiest it's about the journey. my water wings off to ya!
    it's just too much fun
    Thanks Stillwet! I started out not knowing anything about FE boating when i got this boat (that was probably my first mistake) and have just been learning ever since... like the fact that a 40mm prop can make a boat go faster than a 52mm prop (given the right pitch) and not torque roll the hull (hopfully find that out tonight...LOL)

Well.... (sad face) i fell victim to the dreaded lost prop tonight... totally forgot to threadlock the prop nut, and that pretty CNC prop is gonzo... notes about how it ran, seems like the 40mm high pitch is just too small to get that boat up on plane quick...takes forever and cavitates bad...

so given the 2150kv 3s setup with a 1.5:1 gearbox, what prop would be a good match? Probably gonna get it from the OSE store unless someone here has something they could offer comparably priced...

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    Well.... (sad face) i fell victim to the dreaded lost prop tonight... totally forgot to threadlock the prop nut, and that pretty CNC prop is gonzo... notes about how it ran, seems like the 40mm high pitch is just too small to get that boat up on plane quick...takes forever and cavitates bad...

so given the 2150kv 3s setup with a 1.5:1 gearbox, what prop would be a good match? Probably gonna get it from the OSE store unless someone here has something they could offer comparably priced...
    that is not the news we need to here on the 4th down well better than a cracked up hull. i'am no pro at props but can do the balancing act ok with them, maybe get some plastic ones to see what would work well before spending extra coins on the the CNC props. Tenacity runs in waves
    i wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    that is not the news we need to here on the 4th down well better than a cracked up hull. i'am no pro at props but can do the balancing act ok with them, maybe get some plastic ones to see what would work well before spending extra coins on the the CNC props. Tenacity runs in waves
    i wish you well.
    LOL! I appreciate the input, i know the boat runs great speed wise with a 47 or 52mm 1.4p 3 blade carbon prop, but torque rolls and prop walks bad as well... just ordered a slim nut, bullet nut, and a 47mm 1.4 2 blade, and an octura 1450 in plastic...LOL start there i guess... the boat originally had a 50mm prop on it (damaged) and i put a 47.5 mm 1.2p 2 blade on it and that ran well, slbeit slow... then got an upgrade shaft to get away from the 4mm threaded, as its difficult to find those props it seems...LOL
    Last edited by bogieboy; 08-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.

So... ran the 1450, still torque rolling like a mother**** and for some reason it was ventilating pretty bad on the holeshot... so i tried the 1.4 47 2 blade... popped up better, but still torque rolling... im starting to rhink i need to get my CG waaaayyyy lower... i never liked how the motor mount puts the motor so high... also seems to me like the boat is aweful heavy too... havent weighed it but feels to me like its 4-5# range... oh also that silicone cooling jacket leaks like a sieve, so thats not helping either.... im about ready to give up and buy a different hull...LOL

Would switching to direct drive and lowering the cg help with the torque roll? I dont really see any great ways to cut back weight... gotta have a motor, esc and battery...LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12