Thread: Turnigy 180 v3 esc cooling ?

Default Turnigy 180 v3 esc cooling ?

Guys, i notice there has been some mod tips on the early versions of the Turnigy esc,s for better water cooling but has anyone do any mods to there newer model Turnigy esc that comes with only one inlet / outlet tube ? i must say mine don,t seem to get hot but it would be nice just to have bit more water flowing through this esc like other esc,s have . the mod would be quite easy if the designer didn,t wack a sealed in capacitor on the end where a tube could come out.

If it's like the seaking 180 v3...you can add a cooling tube opposite the single cooling tube between the fins...connect the two together....

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    If it's like the seaking 180 v3...you can add a cooling tube opposite the single cooling tube between the fins...connect the two together....
    the capacitor is in the way on one end.

Oh...ok...The seaking v3 has two caps on the end..and an external cap bank on the batt leads...

Yes if they didn,t place one of the caps there it would have been a breeze to add another tube for extra water flow.

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks Tony. you do build some very nice boats too.

I have always drilled out the heat sink fin on the one side and just slide a piece of 3/16 tubing through it. Never had an issue with the cap being in the way. I can get a picture later.

Here's a better picture - before I potted it with JB . No drilling - just "ovaled" the brass some to fit in between the fins.

V3 cooling mod.JPG

My main reason to do this was to redirect the output back to where I wanted the exit

DSC06353-1.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-19-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

thats a clearer pick Tony. never thought of fitting the tube like that and out abit further than the other side. as you can see if i tried to fit another tube on other side of esc top about where the original tube is placed, it would hit the capacitor. as i mentioned not sure if i really need the secound water tube but being a simple mod i will do it now atleast there is abit more cooling. thanks all.

You could use some thermal paste on the underside before permanently gluing it.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Here's a better picture - before I potted it with JB . No drilling - just "ovaled" the brass some to fit in between the fins.

V3 cooling mod.JPG

My main reason to do this was to redirect the output back to where I wanted the exit

DSC06353-1.JPG
    tony, any reduction in heat with your mod?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    tony, any reduction in heat with your mod?
    This was built for a customer - I didn't test it. I sincerely doubt that it would improve cooling any better than having a sensible setup. FWIW I both personally successfully raced the same setup (with earlier versions of the T-180) and built many more for customers wanting to race P-Sport Hydro class and know from actual experience that there's no undue thermal strain in this setup calling for additional cooling mods. Again, the purpose of the extra cooling tube was to redirect the output. It may have helped to lower ESC temp a few degrees but I wouldn't bet on it.

Now that so many ESC's are available in decently high capacity and priced accessibly, the need to go to extremes adding additional cooling (and for that matter piling on more capacitors) seems, at least to me no substitute for an intelligent setup. My take is that this extra cooling/capacitor frenzy is the product of unrealistic expectations put on overly ambitious (to put it mildly/diplomatically) setups created to pacify the appetite of the Zoom-Zoom god. Just my opinion, of course
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.