Thread: Dual brushless motor install Expresscraft Supercat

Default Dual brushless motor install Expresscraft Supercat

I am rejuvenating a 60" Supercat and have a build log happening however, I have a specific question that may get lost in the log. The Supercat traditionally is gas powered however, my model has had a litany of electric drives including a quad strut conversion with four outrunners. However, after finishing a carbon inlay today and filling the multitude of holes in the transom and tunnel, I need to know the location to mount a Turnigy (Proteus) T20 in each sponson with 1/4" flexshafts and Speedmaster nitro stingers, please.

It appears on a cat that the CoG can vary between 30% - 40%. As the hull is cavernous inside then I can place batteries just about anywhere to correct the CoG. I am thinking of placing the aft face of each motor at basically just under 30% of the hull length giving me a stuffing tube length around 26 cm not including the locking collet. This will place the centre of weight of the motor roughly at 30% waterline length.

Any thoughts appreciated.

When laying out the gear, it is really nice if you can make it work out so that battery adjustment controls your CG.
    Try to place everything within the hull where it looks good and batteries where it balances 30%. Then you can move them forward and get 35-40%. This may take a little more rearranging.

Usually best handling for a cat is 30% and then the speed runs is where CG goes up.

This is an H&M Supercat? A friend has one that was built by KBB, perhaps he can lend advice. Lonewolf???

Many thanks. Most likely there will be four batteries with a total of 8s or 10s so I will arrange the CoG to get the required 30%. The batteries can then be remounted to alter the CoG once up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Many thanks. Most likely there will be four batteries with a total of 8s or 10s so I will arrange the CoG to get the required 30%. The batteries can then be remounted to alter the CoG once up and running.
    Best to mount all rear hardware first. That kinda just has its home.
    Last edited by srislash; 06-18-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    This is an H&M Supercat? A friend has one that was built by KBB, perhaps he can lend advice. Lonewolf???
    It’s an Expresscraft Supercat

I wouldn,t go past the 30% c.o.g. as its not hard to get the correct balance and ride of the hull by battery location and prop settings.
    if you end up with a nose heavy c.o.g. your in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by hughb View Post
    It’s an Expresscraft Supercat
    Ahhh, a different beast. Flat’ish ride pads then?

Many thanks gentlemen