Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/8th Scale Circus Circus FE Build

Default 1/8th Scale Circus Circus FE Build

Well, I have had a build thread on IW for this boat since last november, but I wanted a few people like Randy Naylor at BBY to see the boat his hardware is going in. It started out as a boat I was building for myself, but I was approached by an IW member about purchasing and me finishing out the hull build and paintwork, so I let it go.

I was going to do it as the 88 Miller High Life hull, but the buyer has always wanted the 89 Circus Circus. I told him my original intentions were an FE hull, and he decided he would like to keep it as FE. This will be his first FE boat! Like I was saying, this started in November from Newton Marine plans, but it utilizes a Wood over Foam center former core, with Newton frame up sponsons and non trip. The wing/ fins are from Phil Thomas and are epoxy over foam. The cowling was originally the Dumas plug, but a friend of mine in California and personal friend of the late Roger Newton wanted to make a mold to do the cowling in epoxy, so that is what you are seeing! The exhaust/turbine tube is my design and is full epoxy as well. All of these epoxy parts, and wood over foam core have kept the weight way down. The hardware package and motor mount that is in place is all Randy Naylor's quality workmanship. I am only going to show a few photos of the build as it progressed, and a few that show were I am right now with it. I have a few odds and ends to finish up before it is shipped to the owner. He will power this with 10s1p and a Neu 1527 1.5Y 825kv motor. ESC is TBD. Enjoy the pics. I really enjoyed building and doing the paintwork on this one. Mike Luszcz

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

nice work

Love it. Dont try to raise the bar on me lol.

What kinda speeds you expect with that 1527 i thought the 1527 model for a scale was a 3y wind?

Hey how about some paint numbers?

Xfactor, the 825kv 1527 Neu will push the boat around 60-65 mph according to others that have that setup. They only pull around 90-100 amps as well on 10s1p. The white paint is just some dupont chromabase I had, nothing special. The three pinks are Spectramaster Dupont. I had to hand pick them as no one seems to have a basecoat code for the pinks. The light pink is RS338, medium pink is RS326, and the dark pink is RS318. The RS stands for Red Solid in the spectramaster book. The decals are dumas! Hope that helps, Mike

that is a beautiful boat! well done!

Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Xfactor, the 825kv 1527 Neu will push the boat around 60-65 mph according to others that have that setup. They only pull around 90-100 amps as well on 10s1p. The white paint is just some dupont chromabase I had, nothing special. The three pinks are Spectramaster Dupont. I had to hand pick them as no one seems to have a basecoat code for the pinks. The light pink is RS338, medium pink is RS326, and the dark pink is RS318. The RS stands for Red Solid in the spectramaster book. The decals are dumas! Hope that helps, Mike
    I have some paint numbers on the original but it was dupont imron ;some nasty stuff, so i was looking for an alternative. I reckognize the dumas stickers of course . I guees my next question is thats not a true u-31 is it? There are no ride pads in the rear?The cowl looks like a dumas one too.Will we be fortunate enough to see your motor install?

Whats your weight so far?

I will get the weight soon.

Almost there. Got the canard flaps installed, windshield installed, and worked on the wing mounting, and got the turbine tube mounted to the hatch cover. This weekend I will reinstall the hardware mounts and finish up some odds and ends. I also added some clear vinyl to all the "rub" areas where the cowling, wing, and fins mount. this will help to reduce the chance of the paintwork getting scared up over time. Enjoy, Mike

That my friend is beautifull! Good job as always.

Whats next?

Wow, that is stunning!! Really nice job, I was following this build on IW, nice to see it almost done. Promise us some shots of it running?

Thanks for the nice comments. My wife took about 50 pictures tonight. These are a few of the best. I am now done with my portion of this boat build. I will be honest, I am going to miss it. 7 months of my life I will never get back! I hope, and think, Tim will really enjoy this boat. I have already started boxing up the small items, and it will be mailed off hopefully Tuesday. Thanks and Enjoy. Tim may keep the thread going as he gets all the fast electric components installed. I hope to see a video of it for sure! Sorry I look so pissed off in the picture. I was out in the full size boat today and the sun had me pretty exhausted. Mike

Up next, my Phil Thomas Smokin Joe's 1/8th scale FE build!

Default Boat Building

you'r boat is anmazing will done. i'd like to Build a 1/8 SC my self but have no plans if you dont mind can you send me the plan if not no big deal

Newton plans you can get just about any 1/8th scale boat from them or you can get a Circus kit from Dumas.

hi nice boat was wondering im kicking around idea to build 1/12 circus circus by buying the 1/8 plans and shrinkking down was wondering where did you get the canopy/cowl its not wood i was trying to figure out how to make the round cowl and such so what you thing 1/12 out of balsa with my black jack brushless motor on 6s2p

ps been try to buy eliam 1/12 on ebay but price going half price of new and more before i pay half price for second hand i would buy new or just build and have a little fun in process

The canopy he has looks like a dumas fiberglass one. I have the abs one but it had to be joined. Both are from dumas. My suggestion build a finlay 12th of your choice and make the cowl yourself from eye. I know it sounds crazy but once you start youll be surprized at what that pentium on top of your neck is capable of lol.Trust me it will all fall together just build your hull first.When u get to the point where your ready to make the cowl we all will help you. These guys are good about that. Check out my atlas build and look at how much the guys helped me with pics of the cowl and cock pit. Since the circus has a f16 canopy you may start with a static model windshield from a f16 if you want it clear. Or maybe use half a nose cone from an estes model rocket.Not trying to discourage you but elams run really good just check some of the elam footage on ebay. Theyre nice boats. I love finlay boats but wood models really challenge the buildr in you but I love that dont you. Hit me up if you need help.

Newton may be the way to go for you cause i dont know of any finlay plans with the canards. Also im unsure if the real u 31 was a 4 point hydro or if the ride pads that dumas made are custom to the dumas hull. My bottom is totally different than this one. You might need to ask Randy about that.To my knowledge in concours events and scale events you lose points for riding surface mods not on the real thing but maybe thats old school stuff. Back in the day they even had rules about the relationship of the drive dog and transom (like the drive dog had to be under the transom) . Can anyone clear this up?Cuz its been so long since i looked at scale rules.Id imagine fe is slightly different than nitro

The circus is a very pretty boat thats why I brought my kit in 90 when the real u-31 ran. Yep my dumas has been sitting around for 20 years can you believe that? Time flies boy I tell ya.

Well, there are so many versions of this Circus hull. This is a variation between the dumas and newton plans. It has a little of each mixed. The cowling is the dumas style (not sure if you knew this Xfactor, but dumas had two circus cowlings..I don't mean glass and ABS, I mean two different cowlings. One had side vents, one did not, and the way the upside down frown mounts is different from style to style. Mine is based off the newer dumas cowling, but is full epoxy glass. I had a guy in California make a mold, and pull me two cowlings in epoxy glass. I still have one of them, and he is awaiting making more as requests come in. I will include a picture below of the raw cowling before it got painted. The turbine tube is also epoxy, and I make that part.

Avery, you can scale the plans down to whatever you need. I actually am starting to put all of my newton plan sets on Autocad and redrawing them, fixing all the hand drawn errors, and setting them up to be laser cut. I have the '55 Miss Thriftway, '82 Executone, '03 Vacationville.com, and the '88 Miller High Life (which is what this circus was based on). I should have my '82 Executone laser cut framing back this week. That will be my first laser cut 1/8th scale parts. Doing that will save me weeks of cutting time, and not to mention the accuracy is EXACT side to side. I will show pics of that framing once it arrives as I have to build 3 of those immediately! And I have to build a Blazer thunderboat, and my Phil Thomas Smoking Joes 1/8th scale Hydro has to be set up and painted. Here is the pic of that Circus Epoxy cowling. Enjoy, Mike

Here is the '82 Executone framing image, just to show how it looks. Should have the real laser cut parts Friday.

Sweet whats that other boat in the backdrop?

That's a '94 Smokin Joes.

well call me picky or crazy but i look at the eliam and bud proboat and then i think of what a wood build circus would look like and ther is no comparison the lines and looks of the scale r just way better than the rounded proboat and i dont race i just love to rc i have heli trex 450 and 500 and team asscociated mgt 4.6 and bj26 and of course an hrp ct04 on back burner till i get more money that thing cost to build but yall convinced me im gonna order the circus plans unless you would be able to shrink down to 1/12 scale and email to me i can afford the 4 dollars to print at office depot if not i will spend 40 to newton and then figure out how to shrink and then reprint but im not to savy on that stuff just never did before it took me while to post picture of my hpr ct04 in my build thread thanks for the renewed inspiration though i think the 1/12 wood circus is what i need for now cheap to build and alrdy have parts to rob from bj to make her run thanks again

ps the problem with the newton plan is they gonna be on paper alrdy and i could work better if they we on file so i could just sent to memory card and bring to office depoe

where do you get liser cuting done and what size wood do you use and how much dose it cost the last boat i was makeing was 72- cat, the sawdust was everywhere!!! my cut's came out fine but it take a long time and wine i was puting the hull togather some of the cut where the wrong size!!!!! i had staples blow up the plan and they messed up the plans.....you know the golden rule try try and try again sorry if my spelling is off im not that grat at spelling

does any one have the plans for the U-10 Smokin Joes 1994 ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast