Thread: Mini TFL Zonda Carbon Cat build

Default Mini TFL Zonda Carbon Cat build

I bought this hull from Travis ( kfxguy ) as a bare untouched hull. This would be my first ground up build. I was thinking that this build would take months to complete. However, this horrible New York weather has unfortunately allowed me more free time than I anticipated.
    When I first got the boat in my hands, I have to admit, I was extremely surprised as to how thin this hull was. To me, it looked like it would splinter on the first blow over. So, out came the carbon cloth and epoxy. Travis gave me a few pointers on how to strengthen the transom. I filled the transom about 3/4" with chopped carbon and epoxy. Let it harden in a bucket of water. I poured a couple oz of the same into the tips of the sponsons. Did up a carbon inlay as far forward as I could and up past the seam, right up gunnels. carbon inlay.jpgfilled transom.jpg

Next, as per advice from travis, I drilled and tapped the transom for the rudder mounting bolts. Tapped right into the epoxy and carbon mix. Then mounted the rudder. rudder 2.jpgtransom.jpg

Next came the stuffing tube.
    stuffing tube.jpg
    Last edited by vinnyp; 06-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.

I installed a flush mount dual water pickup.
    thru hull 1.jpgthru hull 2.jpgthru hull 3.jpg

Trying to stuff all the electronics into this little boat was not fun. Maybe this boat should not have been my first build attempt.
    I decided on a Dynamite 3831 motor and a spare Dynamite 120 amp esc from my Zelos that was sitting on the shelf. A digital steering servo as well. All the mounts and hardware came from OSE. I cut out a carbon plate to fit the steering servo. Glued it in the hull with a couple of studs to hold down the steering servo. made a small carbon plate to hole the servo down.
    steering servo 2.jpgsteering servo 4.jpg
    Last edited by vinnyp; 06-10-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Glued in the motor mount and stuffed the esc in with some Velcro.
    esc,motor,servo 1 (1).jpg

I got a custom set of battery trays that Travis had made up. Good thing too, don't know what else would have fit. Glued them in easily.
    20180607_192447_resized.jpg

Started to run water lines, when I found that when I screwed the hatch down, it would pinch off the lines off the motor. I ordered a set of 90* fittings from OSE to hopefully fix that.

20180609_190739_resized.jpg

So, that's the basics. The new ride is pretty much done. If this horrible weather ever improves here, I can take it for its maiden run.

20180609_191226_resized.jpg

Nice work. It's a fun little hull that can haul some ass in the right water conditions. Did you buy the rudder/strut setup or was it recycled from another boat as well?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Looks good Vinny!
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

I ordered the rudder from ProMarine for use on my MTR. I thought I was ordering a dual outlet rudder. Turns out it is a dual inlet but not a dual outlet. Never used it on the MTR. I cut it down a bit as it was too big for this smaller hull. Didn't use the water pick up on this build anyway.

Thanks Mark... hope it runs well.

Have you put this little Gem in the water yet?
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Nice Vinny!
    A thought... if it were me I wouldn’t have my receiver and on/off switch right next to where the flex shaft will be launching lube.
    Other than that, how she run?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Nice Vinny!
    A thought... if it were me I wouldn’t have my receiver and on/off switch right next to where the flex shaft will be launching lube.
    Other than that, how she run?
    Thanks... I will attempt to find a better spot for the switch, however, its so damn tight in there. I only got to run it once on 4s. Didn't have a gps in it, it cavitated out of the turns, but other than that, it ran good.
    Last edited by vinnyp; 06-25-2018 at 04:54 PM.

She runs really really good. It is cavitating a lot however. I think a 1714 or 1715 would grab better and the strut is probably too high. That’s probably why you didn’t over heat things with that prop. You can tell the motor isn’t quite winding out because that prop is pretty aggressive and doesn’t have much slip once the boat is on plane.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here’s mine on 3s with less prop. It doesn’t cavitate, I can’t send you the strut height measurements if you want.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Here’s mine on 3s with less prop. It doesn’t cavitate, I can’t send you the strut height measurements if you want.

Travis,
    Looks like you need a bigger pond. No cavitation going on with yours. As you said, I need to lower the strut. I had it level with the bottom. Maybe I will go down 1mm and see what happens.

https://youtu.be/ctj7wwNc7ko

Yes that was just a small pond that was convenient to me on a camping trip. That was the first day I had ever run it and I had mainly run it on 2s so it was more controllable. I went to a bigger lake and it was choppy, on 3s and scared to run it out, I got 56mph out of it but didn’t pull the trigger the whole way.

Actually I think my strut is a mm or two above the bottom. I’ll confirm this evening.

Here’s my strut. 1.3mm gap. About .050.(inches)

Thanks Travis... I will certainly have to test some more.

You run it again yet? I was thinking about running mine this weekend, although I’m on the fence about selling it. I really don’t want to but all it does is collect dust. I had a 1616 prop on it in that video. It seemed to like it but the one I sold Fweasel liked the 1715,1716 more. I haven’t tried a bigger prop on it yet. If I get to run it tomorrow I’ll let you know how it goes.