Thread: New facelift on my Blackjack 26

Cool New facelift on my Blackjack 26

Hiya Guys ,

I wasn't going to do a post on the facelift I just done on my Pro-Boat Blackjack 26 because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, however it turned out a little better than I thought it would have so I decided to sure. Anyway ...

Usually when I paint a boat I strip the entire thing and do a nice 2-3 stage paint job on it, but I decided to cheat on this one & see how it turned out. I picked the load up here locally for $200 rtf w/ a metal prop, 45A 3s esc, 3630 1500kv motor & a Spekky MR200 rx.

The top of the tunnel and the hatch didn't look too bad with the graphics that were on it but the sponsons and the bottom of the boat were a silver color that someone had slashed a bunch of gold paint on and it was really fugly & left a lot to be desired . Well, I got tired of looking at it so I decided to cheat a little bit and try to keep the original graphics and give the rest of the boat a facelift. I pulled all the hardware and went to work sanding down the bottom of the boat and the sponsons being careful to keep the original lines on the top edges of the sponsons without getting into the original graphics. Then I pulled out some blue painter's tape and got creative and taped off the hatch and the top of the tunnel and trimmed a few things up with some scissors trying to get it just right before I started laying paint on it. When I was satisfied with my tape job I laid 3-4 coats of white primer followed by 3-4 coats of bright gloss white and finished it off with three coats of crystal clear clearcoat all three of which were the new Krylon Color Masters enamel. I sanded the final coat of primer w/ 220 grit so the paint & clearcoat would lay down real smooth.

Overall it took me 2 days to get it done & I gave it plenty of time to cure and dry before I started pulling tape late last night. Even though it's a half-ass paint job it didn't turn out too bad. The sponsons and the tunnel are bright glossy White and the rear transom is still the original silver color which contrasts with it real nice and even though the hatch and the top of the tunnel aren't perfect it doesn't look that bad. Other than a little cleanup work on the top of the tunnel and the hatch I think I'll leave it as is. It runs real nice on 3s lipo but I'm planning on pulling the speed control and dropping one of my 60A Venom racing esc's (rebranded seaking ) in it w/ a couple t's to plumb it into the water lines and run it on 4s ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb

Attached Images Attached Images

Well....I'd say it came out pretty sweet.....Nice Job..!

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    Well....I'd say it came out pretty sweet.....Nice Job..!
    Thanks, even though it's something that I generally don't do I tried to do the job right so it didn't end up being butchered too bad. The original graphics on the top of the boat aren't in the best of shape but overall it turned out pretty good