Thread: Setup Opinions please

Default Setup Opinions please

I attached a video of my BJ29 V3 and am looking for opinions to get the most speed out of this setup before I change props. It peaked at 66.2 mph but I feel like it has more in it. Hull is running flat with no bounce at speed but I feel like it could be a tad bit higher in the nose so maybe a bit more pos strut angle....? Or is the strut too high sucking the rear down? Not sure if you can tell in the video as I had to drive one handed and hold my phone at the same time.
    Right now strut is about 1/8” higher then sponsons and about nuetral.
    I only do speed runs and don’t race so before everyone says it should be on 4s, I know.

Mods are minimum and as follows
    OSE flex
    OSE strut
    X642 prop
    Leopard 4082 2000kv
    Sanded sponsons to knock down some of the wave high spots on the surface
    Knife edge sharpened the rudder
    Stock 120 ESC. - 180 coming soon.
    ABC 1716-17-45 coming soon
    Any other prop suggestions to get the most out of it? I bought a ABC 1816-17-45 but it shuts the stock ESC down. Not sure if the 180 can handle it.....?

Last thing, motor is cool when done at about 105-110 deg. But wiring and Deans connectors are hot. I am assuming it’s due to the ESC and ESC wiring being marginal but looking for opinions if things will actually run cooler once I upgrade the ESC.

https://youtu.be/9Ida4VD3eok

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Dws6; 05-29-2018 at 11:39 AM.

If you put either abc prop on you will have to dial it in again because it will blow over with the abc props because of the bow lift they will produce. If your looking for speed with what you have try this:

Sharpen rudder
    Shorten rudder 1/4” at a time
    Knife edge the bottom of the rudder
    Eliminate slack in steering
    Polish your flex shaft
    Use motor oil mixed with graphite powder as your flex lube
    Shorten power wires as much as possible
    Add a cap bank

I guarantee you’ll go over 70 if you do all these. Do one at a time though to see which one makes the most difference and you’ll learn something too in the process.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks kfxguy,
    I did sharpen the rudder and rounded the bottom leading edge and then chamfered the bottom edge, forgot to include that.
    I will try the other things you listed.
    I expected more tweaking with prop change but like you said it helps learn what happens.
    Any opinions on how it’s running or is it too hard to tell?

Deans connectors get hot for many people. Boats just pull a lot more amps than cars and crawlers. Try some EC5’s or bullit 5.5’s to reduce heat.

Definitely ditch the Dean's connectors. EC5's, Castle 6.5, or bullets are all much better options. Can't see your video at the moment, so I can't comment on your current ride setup other than I've run all of my V3 cats with a neutral strut angle, a few mm above the sponson bottoms, similar to what you're doing now.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The 180 will handle the 1816 .usually I disable the LVC and control my running time. and yes get rid of deans connectors. Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Yes i had a little esc issue with premature motor cut outs until it was mentioned to disable the LVC on the Turnigy 180 , then all was fine. as Gil said, control / count your running times if you do this lvc delete.

I didn’t realize you had deans. Personally I wouldn’t use the ec5 connectors because it’s not much of an upgrade but that’s just me. You’ll pick up speed going to the castle green connectors from deans.

Sharpen the bottom of the rudder in the shape of a v. Look How the bottom of the rudder looks https://www.amainhobbies.com/pro-boa...281029/p450600 that may get rid of that slight wawawa you have before getting fully on plane.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

If I remember correctly Deans were rated for 50 amps. I would go 6mm at least. Even those are going to get toasty.

That reminds me.....

Guys, I've been using this tape from Harbor Freight on my connectors. It's bulky but is the best thing I've found yet for temperature tolerance.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x...ape-61414.html
    Noisy person

Deans are good to almost 100 amps. The best way to tell if your plugs are not up to the task is if they get hot or not. The plug only has to have as much cross section as your wire does. Ralphs T mono that went 107 mph and pulled 700 amps only used 3.5 bullets. Now they were German made and not the ones we get but it shows bigger bullets aren't always needed. I use 5.5 bullets sold by Neu motors in all my oval boats and saw boats. Your plugs should not be getting hot or melting shrink tubing. If it is then it's time for new bullets or a better made one.

Mark

Plus good quality Solder and soldering done well.