Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello everyone.

I am new to the page but have been involved in all forms of RC for years. (mostly planes) My current projects include building an electric cat and converting a glow powered V bottom to electric. Maybe some day I will convert my very old wooden hydro to electric as well.

-Andrew
    What could possibly go wrong?

Welcome to OSE!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Welcome Andrew. I've got a nitro to electric conversion project waiting on a shelf in the workshop. It should be fun to breath new life into an old, messy, smelly nitro boat. Good luck with your projects!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks guys.

My current project is a 53" cat hull. It will be electric powered.
    On the shelf is,
    A ShockWave36 glow to electric conversion
    A Dumas Skidaddle gas repower (motor locked up)
    A old wood hydro electric conversion. (currently glow and very very old)
    A freshen up of my son's SW 55

None of these are listed in importance. If I can get one or two done this summer, I will be happy.

-Andrew

Welcome Andrew you won't be disappointed with your convertions but a 53"cat will need a good trusty combo.
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Thank You.

Yea, I received some suggestions from Steve on what to use. It should work great. Now I just need to start ordering parts and build it.

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by grsboats View Post
    Welcome Andrew you won't be disappointed with your convertions but a 53"cat will need a good trusty combo.
    Gill

A 53 boat is a big hull so motor/esc must be proportional to this displacement......also depends on how many cells you want to run it,just for fun or saw?There are may ways to built your boat but you need to know your personal goals and how many bucks you want to spend with or without breaking the bank .Here is the best place to get assisted by the top's.
    Good luck and let we know your progress
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Yes also single or twin motors.

Thank You

I have no interest in racing competitively. I just want something to buzz around the pond with. It doesn't need to be the fastest thing on the water either. It is just an oversized toy.
    I have gas motors, but I don't want to build a gas boat. I am really digging the electric powered stuff. I will admit. I wasn't expecting this build to be so pricey. So it is going to take some time to build.

-Andrew

A 53 boat is a big hull so motor/esc must be proportional to this displacement......also depends on how many cells you want to run it,just for fun or saw?There are may ways to built your boat but you need to know your personal goals and how many bucks you want to spend with or without breaking the bank .Here is the best place to get assisted by the top's.
    Good luck and let we know your progress
    Gill

Andrew there are many things that can go wrong with Fe boats.The main problem is Amps and temperature that come together. if your goal is to have fun a 56 serie Tppower/Leopard with low kvs running on 8 or 10 S with a 240 A esc will be your combo.You must be conservative with props at the beginning checking your temps to then go bigger.Running tme is another issue that many have faced but this depends on the capacity of your batteries,ie, bigger means longer running.Good quality batteries is also important like Revo's and a good charger too.My Icharger is working great but another good option is the Power Lab from Revoelectrics.....anyway try to stick to good quality products that will last longer and ensure your investment.
    Good luck and boating
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Oh yea, I know.
    I cooked a few ESC's in more than a few of my planes. I have flown down to 1% in some of my older Li-Po's. I had one come down so hot and round. I'm surprised it didn't explode. I have a decent charger from HiTec. It works well for the size batteries that I use. (mostly 3-4 cells, 800-5000. I do have one 6S 2200 for one of my planes.) I have a WATT meter so I can measure current draw. Keeping an eye on the heat will be somewhat new. I am used to airflow keeping things cool, not water flow. But I'm sure I will be able to figure it out.
    If nothing else, it should be fun. And that's what it is all about.
    -Andrew

A project on the wait list is a 53" cat with TP Power 4070 motors (around 1000kv) with 240 amp ESC running 8s. I have all the parts required but other projects keep pushing it back. A big boat requires a big wallet. The minimum battery capacity is at least 5000mah each side if you expect any sort of runtime (a few minutes). If thinking of using the 2200mah battery you may just spin the prop a few revolutions but no runtime.

Also with the battery you will need a battery with a high discharge rate (say 60C) unless running two packs in parallel and then a lesser discharge rating is suitable. FE boats can get really expensive, really quickly! Quite often the large hull can be the least expensive outlay.

Oh yea. I agree totally. I was just saying I understand the electric side of it. A set of 70C / 5000 Li-Po's are definitely needed for a boat of this size. I learned a lot when I went electric with my planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    A project on the wait list is a 53" cat with TP Power 4070 motors (around 1000kv) with 240 amp ESC running 8s. I have all the parts required but other projects keep pushing it back. A big boat requires a big wallet. The minimum battery capacity is at least 5000mah each side if you expect any sort of runtime (a few minutes). If thinking of using the 2200mah battery you may just spin the prop a few revolutions but no runtime.

Also with the battery you will need a battery with a high discharge rate (say 60C) unless running two packs in parallel and then a lesser discharge rating is suitable. FE boats can get really expensive, really quickly! Quite often the large hull can be the least expensive outlay.

Will this assembly work with my 53" cat? It is the only part of hardware I need. My current strut/rudder assembly isn't designed for a cat hull.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80085

-Andrew

Andrew,
    the thinking these days is an offset rudder as the inline rudder causes interference with the prop thrustline. Single drives on large hulls is common with gas powered hulls but I do not believe as popular with electric. You would need a large single electric motor with a very large capacity ESC (300 amp plus).

A boat this size I feel would need a 1/4" flexshaft. Check on eBay as there are numerous 1/4" drive struts available and usually little more expensive than a smaller 3/16" drive. You also need to know the mount pad area on the cat transom to ensure sufficient mount pad for the selected strut.

My son recently purchased an Expresscraft Supercat. This is a 60" cat hull with a flat transom and generally powered by a single gas motor. Our intention is two 56XX series motors driving through Speedmaster 1/4" nitro stingers mounted to the sponsons and not centre mounted as on a gas powered model. With a large hull you cannot skimp on quality as these motors are several horsepower each.
    Last edited by Old School; 06-07-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Definitevely this strut won't work for you,Speedmaster produces one for cat with a skeg and you will have to stick to 1/4 flexcable too.....offset rudder is a must nowadays.
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Ok, great. Thank You
    -Andrew

Definitevely this strut won't work for you,Speedmaster produces one for cat with a skeg and you will have to stick to 1/4 flexcable too.....offset rudder is a must nowadays.