Thread: ZELOS 36" - More MPHs = More airtime - Any ways to stop her from flipping??

Default ZELOS 36" - More MPHs = More airtime - Any ways to stop her from flipping??

First time caller, long time listener, love ya love your show...

The Banana 36 loves to "flip" when opened up, one of these days she's gonna "Split"

Any good ideas to keep her nose down without me having to take my finger off the trigger every second?
    Id like to try something without adding more weight and would have thought the 4 LiPos would hold it down.
    You guys with Zelos in the 80's and 90's mph? I cant imagine the fun trying to keeping the nose down.

Walter

Walter, where in IL do you run? What props are you currently using? Where are your struts adjusted to? I've had success with running all for of my 3S packs forward. I run 2 in the center tray as far forward as the stops allow, and the other two flank those, tucked securely under the round foam flotation pieces. Depending on which props you run and how much lift they do or don't provide, you may need to adjust your struts so you run with less positive trim angle (angle them down).
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Walter, where in IL do you run? What props are you currently using? Where are your struts adjusted to? I've had success with running all for of my 3S packs forward. I run 2 in the center tray as far forward as the stops allow, and the other two flank those, tucked securely under the round foam flotation pieces. Depending on which props you run and how much lift they do or don't provide, you may need to adjust your struts so you run with less positive trim angle (angle them down).
    Fweasel With the battery packs installed "4 wide" and wedged in under the front deck is a good way to overheat the electronics and to crack a hull if the battery goes flying. Not to mention it will make a man made water plow...LOL! I always run my packs in the battery tray strapped down the way the boat was designed for them to be placed with no issues at all getting decent speed with the boat running flat and stable...Maybe you should work on a different approach with your set up?? With all the weight up front I can only imagine how bad it would spin out even with the slightest turn. Check out my video that I posted today over on Keagan's fast list (nothing special just several 87mph passes) you might be able to find something that you could apply to your boat to help in the stability category.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...t-List!!/page8
    Last edited by MADRCER; 05-31-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    F weasel With the battery packs installed "4 wide" and wedged in under the front deck is a good way to overheat the electronics and to crack a hull if the battery goes flying. Not to mention it will make a man made water plow...LOL! I always run my packs in the battery tray strapped down the way the boat was designed for them to be placed with no issues at all getting decent speed with the boat running flat and stable...Maybe you should work on a different approach with your set up?? With all the weight up front I can only imagine how bad it would spin out even with the slightest turn. Check out my video that I posted today over on Keagan's fast list (nothing special just several 87mph passes) you might be able to find something that you could apply to your boat to help in the stability category.

Walter,
    Welcome to OSE. You will find a wealth of information here. I have to agree with madrcer. Although I am not running my zelos anywhere near as fast as he is , I have had zero issues with running 4 lipos , 2 x 2 in the trays. The trays in that zelos are long enough to allow you to change the c.g. by sliding the lipos forward or aft. Any further porpoising or tendency to flip can be controlled further by strut adjustments. There are so many variables on set up, that knowing exactly where others are running their struts and lipos may not work well for you. You will have to experiment to find what works best for you. Keeping that boat running flat and level is the secret to speed. If you watch one of my videos, you will see that i am not there yet either. That's where the challenge lies.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...id=liMWAmWCy44

Last edited by vinnyp; 05-30-2018 at 10:23 PM.

madrcr, that's the great thing about this hobby, more than one way to set up a boat. No overheating of electronics from running that way, in fact, it was suggested to me by Rafael Lopez. I've never had one of the two outer packs move after a flip and no water plowing either. Maybe my packs are lighter than what you're using. Who knows. Keep up the good work and thanks for looking out for me.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    madrcr, that's the great thing about this hobby, more than one way to set up a boat. No overheating of electronics from running that way, in fact, it was suggested to me by Rafael Lopez. I've never had one of the two outer packs move after a flip and no water plowing either. Maybe my packs are lighter than what you're using. Who knows. Keep up the good work and thanks for looking out for me.
    No problem and Thanks! My go to packs for this boat are the Gens Ace which are light as a feather compared to others. Now I am testing some new Revo blend packs that are smoking with power. The Revo's still should be lighter than your Turnigy Graphene 5000's...not by much though.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Fweasel With the battery packs installed "4 wide" and wedged in under the front deck is a good way to overheat the electronics and to crack a hull if the battery goes flying. Not to mention it will make a man made water plow...LOL! I always run my packs in the battery tray strapped down the way the boat was designed for them to be placed with no issues at all getting decent speed with the boat running flat and stable...Maybe you should work on a different approach with your set up?? With all the weight up front I can only imagine how bad it would spin out even with the slightest turn. Check out my video that I posted today over on Keagan's fast list (nothing special just several 87mph passes) you might be able to find something that you could apply to your boat to help in the stability category.

I have also had little luck in keeping my Zelos from blowing over with hotter props. On my hull with the batteries in line there is very little to no adjustment forward or back to adjust CG. Ive tried all strut settings from neutral to 4mm positive to 4mm negative in 1mm increments and it made zero difference. The only thing that worked was to put the batteries 4 across and pushed up front. Even with that the front is still light when running hot props. I guess thats why some members were filling the sponson tips with epoxy and lead shot mix. Must be a variance in the hulls or something. I used velvro straps and extra foam to secure the two outside batteries to the inside ones . Havent had any issues with them moving around

vinnyp
    Yr Zelos looks like its running pretty good to me. A lot more stable than mine
    Last edited by REDLINE1; 06-01-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDLINE1 View Post
    vinnyp
    Yr Zelos looks like its running pretty good to me. A lot more stable than mine
    Thanks. But as we all know too well, we are never happy. Always looking for more.. In my case, I know there is more to be gotten. Hopefully, this horrible weather we are having her in NY will clear up and I can get the chance to try.