Thread: Zelos twin(36) propeller sharpening questions

Default Zelos twin(36) propeller sharpening questions

I’ve been into rc boats for years but never got into it heavy, now I’m getting out of the cars and trucks and going boats only, I have much more fun keeping these running and making them faster. I recently bought a zelos twin and this boat just flies! Incredible rtr boat! Which leads me to my questions I have been trying to search for this specific question, should I detongue the propellers on the catamaran surface drives, or should I just leave the tongues alone? I’m looking for of course more speed acceleration is still nice but I’m a speed demon I need speed! Thank you all can’t wait to learn and read what we talk about!

In it's simplest form, tongues on a prop give the prop more initial bite, quicker acceleration, and less slip at lower RPM's but limit higher end speed. Yes, if you detongue the stock props you will gain speed, however, being new to boats, I would leave that modification for someone more experienced, especially on stainless props. You would likely do more harm than good, potentially creating an imbalance between the blades which cause vibration and accelerated wear.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I wouldn't spend too much time on those stock props. If you plan on running them, I would at the very least balance them. As was said, stay away from running 3 blades. If you want, get a set of 3 blades to bolt on when the boat is sitting on its display stand. Then, bolt on a set of 2 blade ABC 1714's or 1716's ... but good luck trying to get a set.

glad you both answered that question i will stick to balance and sharpen, thank you!