Thread: Venom Seagad 34" single brushless Cat

Cool Venom Seagad 34" single brushless Cat

Hiya Guys ,

Lookie what showed up today Thanks to my mailman - A nice Venom Segad 34" kitty that's been setup for single brushless. Whoever did the conversion from Twin to single did a really nice job on this and I like the inline strut / rudder setup that's on it. The prop that's on it is an abc 445. I picked it up for $200 shipped and it came with the original esc's, 2700kv outrunners & twin drive hardware that was in it, so I got a lot of spare parts for my King of Shaves twin ...

For now I'm thinking about using one of these 60A esc's and picking up something like an AQ 2030kv mill on 4s power for now. I'm thinking it should get right up and boogie fairly well with that set up in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a plan. Tried a true setup. Nice boat!

Lightbulb

Wow, just out of curiosity I went back and checked the conversation with the guy that I got this boat from and it looks like this boat is a deal that's been in the works for the last 10 months ...

I have this one as well as two of the C1, all twins and also the bigger 56" ARC. . . .i just love the paint scheme. I also had the blue KOS but sold it and now a regret as I would have the complete version of this cat. The funny thing is my SEAGAD still has not been in the water. For $200 you got a heck of a deal.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    I have this one as well as two of the C1, all twins and also the bigger 56" ARC. . . .i just love the paint scheme. I also had the blue KOS but sold it and now a regret as I would have the complete version of this cat. The funny thing is my SEAGAD still has not been in the water. For $200 you got a heck of a deal.

Thanks, chilling with everything that came with it I thought I got a pretty good deal myself, especially with shipping included . Now I have a bunch of spare parts for my EKOS, now I just need a set of props to throw on it.

Now I need to figure out what I want for a motor in the Segad. The stock 380 outrunners were 2700kv on 42mm props. I was thinking of an AQ 2030kv, or a 4 pole 3674 2350kv, but Leopard has a 3674 2650kv that could be tempting. It would be in the stock RPM range but with the 445 brass prop I think it might be a little much for one of these 60A esc's, even though it's a rebranded Turnigy Speaking & proven workhorses. The Seagad already had an esc go up in smoke in it as you can tell by looking at the bottom of the canopy and it still smells like the smoke of death. The last thing I want or need is to have another speed control fry in it ...

Before I get froggy with this thing, I think it might be a good time to pick up some mat & epoxy or resin and do an inlay in this thing. If I can get some matting in something like canary yellow that would be cool ...

Sand, sand and sand. IMO there is too much gooey stuff. You need to sand it down and expose fresh surface. I have done that as well.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Definitely needs a clean up inside if you want to do an inlay and have it bond to the hull. Before sanding, clean up the inside with acetone to remove any gummed up oil etc sitting on the surface of the fibreglass. This should leave the fibreglass still dark stained but otherwise dry (as in no oily residue). Then give a thorough sanding with heavy grit sandpaper till the stains disappear, this means there’ll be fresh fibreglass to glue the inlay in.

Then more acetone for further cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Sand, sand and sand. IMO there is too much gooey stuff. You need to sand it down and expose fresh surface. I have done that as well.
    Thanks Tim

I appreciate the heads-up on sanding the inside of the Hull down. It's not gooey at all per se. As a matter of fact it's really dry. I think that's just some varnish or epoxy type stuff from the factory which is probably what they used to stick down the motor mounts and stuff that were pulled out of it. If I go ahead with some kind of inlay it would primarily be for a Statics just to make it look better than anything and I was planning on sanding it down after pulling the servo and the motor mount out of it, but if I do some kind of inlay in it it will only be in the rear 14" of the Hull. I really don't see a need or a way to get an inlay any further forward than that in the sponsons and that's right where the flotation foam starts anyway. I can get a yellow 12"x12" piece of Tumblr / carbon fiber twill cloth for less than $20 so even with epoxy or resin it wouldn't be too much to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Thanks Tim

I appreciate the heads-up on sanding the inside of the Hull down. It's not gooey at all per se. As a matter of fact it's really dry. I think that's just some varnish or epoxy type stuff from the factory which is probably what they used to stick down the motor mounts and stuff that were pulled out of it. If I go ahead with some kind of inlay it would primarily be for aesthetics just to make it look better than anything and I was planning on sanding it down after pulling the servo and the motor mount out of it, but if I do some kind of inlay in it it will only be in the rear 14" of the Hull. I really don't see a need or a way to get an inlay any further forward than that in the sponsons and that's right where the flotation foam starts anyway. I can get a yellow 12"x12" piece of Tumblr / carbon fiber twill cloth for less than $20 so even with epoxy or resin it wouldn't be too much to get it done.
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 05-25-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Jim, sorry for my long winded post, I am sure you know what to do. I just couldn't help myself!
    Good luck with the restoration, shoot some video when you get her going.

Talking

Ha ha, it's all good Tim ...

Hiya Guys ,

I know I've been a little sidetracked lately ( too many projects not enough time) but I haven't forgotten the Seagad. Yesterday I ordered a T180 speed control, 3674 2000kv motor and a flex collect for this beast. I'm also planning on ordering some of this yellow and black kelvlar / carbon fiber cloth for an inlay

https://m.ebay.com/itm/12-in-x-1-FT-...19.m1438.l2649

Talking

Wahoo , the new power system for the Seagad showed up with my mailman yesterday. 3674 2000kv mill w/ cooling jacket & flex collect & a 180A Speaking v.3 esc. It has a cap bank installed and a pair of deans connectors in series. Bought these from the guy I bought the boat from, there new never run & I couldn't pass the deal up for $100 shipped ...

5F6D5597-12A8-4B7E-AC67-66887415F4DC.jpgThey are beautiful boats, my Boats are upgraded theyrun very well. Good luck with your upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by royalcasa View Post
    5F6D5597-12A8-4B7E-AC67-66887415F4DC.jpgThey are beautiful boats, my Boats are upgraded theyrun very well. Good luck with your upgrade
    Nice fleet, i see you got one of the Coast Guard boats!

Thank you, it took a long time to find one in excellent condition and at a reasonable price. I upgraded a few thing on her

Nice , is that Coast Guard boat a Venom variant ?

Congrats, l remember you were searching hard.
    Cheers
    Thank you, it took a long time to find one in excellent condition and at a reasonable price. I upgraded a few thing on her
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    Nice , is that Coast Guard boat a Venom variant ?
    The CG boat was originally sold by Midwest then by Pro-boat, I have the Pro-Boat. Midwest also sold a wood kit of the CG47. I have the wood kit, not sure if I will build it

Is the yellow Seagd twin? How Long?

Is the yellow Segad twin? How long?

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Is the yellow Segad twin? How long?
    It’s 32” long and yes it’s a twin so is the KOS

I also notice you have the Billing Boats Flying Fish. Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by hughb View Post
    I also notice you have the Billing Boats Flying Fish. Very nice
    Thank you, I am in the process of building the Flying Fish. Do you have one

Sorry, gsbuickman did not mean to hijack your thread

Don’t know if you did your inlay yet. I used this last week. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F121630198353 . It turned out nice. B7456E8D-4D30-462D-921E-AB56721DBD6B.jpg west marine resin.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y