Thread: Futaba 4PX

Default Futaba 4PX

I found the 4PX still listed on Futaba's website but all retailers show it as being discontinued. With all the upheaval in Futaba distribution due to the Hobbico bankruptcy, it is hard to get any real information. My guess is it is going away in favor of the 7PX. There is not much difference in price but I like the 4PX a little more. I was drawn to the 4PV at first, but it and the lower models don't do FASST.

Now that I have looked at the higher end models the lower models are not quite as appealing. Even though I know it is big $ for features I don't need right now.

I picked the wrong time to start looking at trying a new brand of TX.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

I'm looking at an 4pv who has one and what do you think?

Why not look at some of the drone TX's like Frsky ? You can get their entry level for about $100 and receivers are only about $17. Supports (cheap) real time sensors on display and everything with 1.5km range. Not sure why many don't consider going with it...

If Frsky came out with a pistol radio that used opentx I would be all over it.

I recently picked up a Futaba 4pv to use in my cars and boats, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 4px has but it was cheap and does telemetry. The sensors are a bit expensive but they are futaba and everything futaba is over priced. I sold my $1100 heli radio in favor of an opentx Frsky radio that does 100 times what my Futaba did at less than half the price.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Team Liquid Dash

I ended up with a 7PX. Tons of options I will never use but I really like the feel of the radio in my hand. Hopefully, it will future proof for a number of years. When I get a drone I will definitely look into the Frsky though.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

I currently use flysky and spektrum but at one end of the pond I always lose signal so I got a Futaba coming to try
    Last edited by jim82; 06-29-2018 at 07:48 PM.

I had problems with gas boats using Spektrum so I switched to futaba and never had another problem. I have never heard one good thing about flysky.... Not to be confused with Frsky.

Team Liquid Dash

I hope it works only thing is buying a receiver is like buying a whole system..lol

How hard is it to get these to work with castle plane controllers. My spektrum is easy to do
    Last edited by jim82; 06-29-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    I currently use flysky and spektrum but at one end of the pond I always lose signal so I got a Futaba coming to try
    Are you having trouble with both the Flysky and Spektrem??ia
    My Flysky gave me the longest range but the low resolution and long latency is noticeable even by my slow coordination brain/hand......
    I didn't have touble with Spektrum, I used their cheap RTR TX but the Marine series of rx were good. Both the MR200 and MR3000 were great.
    I had tons of trouble with Tactic.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Same area with both FS and spektrum loses signal. I'm wondering if it is our airport that causes it because it's not too far away from where I run the boats.

Same area with both FS and spektrum loses signal. I'm wondering if it is our airport that causes it because it's not too far away from where I run the boats.
    I see, it might just be possible. As i said, the Flysky gave me the longest distance but I know it is not as refined as either the Spektrum or Futaba.
    I never owned a 2.4 ghz Futaba, I had old AM Futaba surface radio, can't comment on its performance.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Went and tried out 7px today no glitches with one of the receivers that doesn't even have antenna r304sb-e. I hooked up castle telemetry also pretty cool

That is great news, Jim. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

How hard is it to get these to work with castle plane controllers. My spektrum is easy to do
    It's really easy with the 4PX or 7PX. Go to the THMOD page and set the the value to F100/0B. This replicates a stick radio. I also recommend the fixed end points in the Castle Software.

Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Yeah that is great for us boat guys using plane controllers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    It's really easy with the 4PX or 7PX. Go to the THMOD page and set the the value to F100/0B. This replicates a stick radio. I also recommend the fixed end points in the Castle Software.

Tyler
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Brewbud View Post
    That is great news, Jim. Glad to hear it is working well for you.
    Thanks man. So far im loving it, I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    I also recommend the fixed end points in the Castle Software.

Tyler
    Tyler,

Can you expand on this comment a little more. I am not in front of the castle link software at the moment, but I think I've been using the auto function? Maybe for me it's not an issue since I use a stick radio.

Later

Mike,
    With the auto end points I believe you have to start at zero throttle plug in and then give one full throttle command and back to zero for the controller to learn the max setting and then it will arm.

Does that seem correct? With fixed end points you just plug in and as soon as the controller sees low throttle it arms.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR