Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC or ABC Prop

Default CNC or ABC Prop

My question is wouldn't a CNC prop be better then a hand massaged prop, due to each prop being identical to each other in a twin set up?

Not if the hand prepped props are done right.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Not if the hand prepped props are done right.
    I understand some people can do a good job which takes a lot more time and your paying more for them, when a CNC can do the same if not better and costs less.
    I would like to know if anyone has done a CNC vs a Hand sculpted comparison of the same size prop.
    Back in the day hand finishing props was the norm because there was no CNC or Computerized program's that simulate the prop cutting threw water or whatever, just saying technology these days is far superior then the old eye.
    Your thoughts.

Honestly, you won't find a CNC prop on anything really fast. Even Joerg's props are hand finished castings. CNC are a good option for those who don't or can't do prop work.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Honestly, you won't find a CNC prop on anything really fast. Even Joerg's props are hand finished castings. CNC are a good option for those who don't or can't do prop work.
    Like me
    This is what i want to know
    So no CNC props in the 90+ zone ?

A raw CNC prop is definitely better than a raw cast prop, to the point that a CNC prop doesn't need balancing and can be used raw, but really both need finishing, a CNC will just need he'll of a lot less work to finish, some can be bought finished but they will have been hand finished after manufacturing.

CNC props are fairly new and the companies making them generally only have 2 ranges so far, one that is a lot like an Octura X series, and one with a lot less blade area for Navigation type endurance racing, whereas Octura and ABC both have a lot more styles and pitches available.

Those with big ranges of props are more likely to have something that will work well for your application, but it is unlikely to be the ideal prop, and to get the most out of it you will have to tweak it a little, and at the moment there is a lot more experience out there tweaking Octura and ABC, having said that most CNC props can be tweaked.

Materially most cast props have an advantage over most CNC props, most cast props are beryllium copper which is fairly strong yet very ductile in its cast state and can be hardened further, whereas Most CNC props are either 6061 or 7075 aluminium and come in a prehardened state, 6061 is not good enough and should be avoided, 7075 is about as strong as unhardened BeCu, but impacts tend to crack it where the same impact would bend BeCu and the prop may be savable. Some day 7075 will crack if you try tweaking it, but it has enough ductility for the tweaks I have done. There are some outliers like Octura's aluminium which is like cheese way weaker than 6061, and chrome cobalt stainless steel CNC props that are way stronger than unhardened BeCu (I have no experience with hardened BeCu for comparison), doctor props for example come way thinner and sharper than I can get away with making a BeCu prop. I hear the chrome cobalt steel used in stainless CNC props is brittle and it does tend to crack rather than bend in impact, but I have seen some bend so I suspect that like 7075 they are ductile enough to be tweakable.

All the CNC alloy props that I have seen have an oversized blade root, and thinning it pretty severely is a worthwhile mod, I belive it is so big not for strength, but to utilise a larger ball ended milling cutter which substantially reduces the machine time and thus cost to make a prop. The stainless CNC props are much better in this regard but the price is much higher.

Theoretically they could use many thousands of passes and get a prop that doesn't need hand finishing, but it is way more cost effective to CNC it most of the way there, and finish it by hand.

I only know of 1, but I would guess that there are a bunch of 90+ boats out there on CNC props. On the other hand I highly doubt that we will ever see a competitive world record fall to a boat with a stock CNC prop.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 05-18-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    A raw CNC prop is definitely better than a raw cast prop, to the point that a CNC prop doesn't need balancing and can be used raw, but really both need finishing, a CNC will just need he'll of a lot less work to finish, some can be bought finished but they will have been hand finished after manufacturing.

CNC props are fairly new and the companies making them generally only have 2 ranges so far, one that is a lot like an Octura X series, and one with a lot less blade area for Navigation type endurance racing, whereas Octura and ABC both have a lot more styles and pitches available.

Those with big ranges of props are more likely to have something that will work well for your application, but it is unlikely to be the ideal prop, and to get the most out of it you will have to tweak it a little, and at the moment there is a lot more experience out there tweaking Octura and ABC, having said that most CNC props can be tweaked.

Materially most cast props have an advantage over most CNC props, most cast props are beryllium copper which is fairly strong yet very ductile in its cast state and can be hardened further, whereas Most CNC props are either 6061 or 7075 aluminium and come in a prehardened state, 6061 is not good enough and should be avoided, 7075 is about as strong as unhardened BeCu, but impacts tend to crack it where the same impact would bend BeCu and the prop may be savable. Some day 7075 will crack if you try tweaking it, but it has enough ductility for the tweaks I have done. There are some outliers like Octura's aluminium which is like cheese way weaker than 6061, and chrome cobalt stainless steel CNC props that are way stronger than unhardened BeCu (I have no experience with hardened BeCu for comparison), doctor props for example come way thinner and sharper than I can get away with making a BeCu prop. I hear the chrome cobalt steel used in stainless CNC props is brittle and it does tend to crack rather than bend in impact, but I have seen some bend so I suspect that like 7075 they are ductile enough to be tweakable.

All the CNC alloy props that I have seen have an oversized blade root, and thinning it pretty severely is a worthwhile mod, I belive it is so big not for strength, but to utilise a larger ball ended milling cutter which substantially reduces the machine time and thus cost to make a prop. The stainless CNC props are much better in this regard but the price is much higher.
    Very nice reply, do you do props yourself ?
    Can you recommend a prop for my new set up ?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-18-2018 at 06:11 AM.

I buy cast props finish them and mod them for myself and occasional props for close friends, but I hate it, by far ny least favourite part of FE boating, sorry but as a stranger you couldn't pay me enough, Raptor or Dasboata are your men.

Dunno, I might be able to if it is similar to something I have done before and you want a similar thing out of it.

no problem.
    What prop would you recommend for a 44 in Mystic duel TP 4070 1520Kv in CR Dual Castle XLX for SAW ?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    no problem.
    What prop would you recommend for a 44 in Mystic duel TP 4070 1520Kv in CR Dual Castle XLX for SAW ?
    Talk to Brian (Raptor), he will set you up. Well as long as he is offering his services at least.

That is out of my experiance range, I have no duals and only 1 boat over 40".

Brian's work is pricey and worth every penny in my opinion.
    Noisy person

CMDI was the only place to cnc props not needing any finishing. They stopped after a short run. I still have a 50mm x3 blade, 83mm pitch, never found a boat it ran well on... yet.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have PM Brian, see what happens
    I did get a price, it was going to cost me $348 Australia dollars approx, way to much for two props.
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-18-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    CMDI was the only place to cnc props not needing any finishing. They stopped after a short run. I still have a 50mm x3 blade, 83mm pitch, never found a boat it ran well on... yet.
    That could be the reason they quit making them.... just saying

Has anyone used rcboatbitz cnc props ?
    Any Australians here where do you guys get your props from for your fast boats ?

Has anyone used rcboatbitz cnc props ?
    Any Australians here where do you guys get your props from for your fast boats ?
    Talk to Kent, natatorun on here, he owns customcfparts.com.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Talk to Kent, natatorun on here, he owns customcfparts.com.
    Will do , thanks
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-19-2018 at 12:41 AM.

How do i contact him ? Is there a email address? Pm him ?
    info@customcfparts.com

Thanks srislash
    Message sent

What do you think 2218 2 blade ?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.

not for nothing guys but this guy has been kicking my tires for the last week,, I finally told him enough ,

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    not for nothing guys but this guy has been kicking my tires for the last week,, I finally told him enough ,
    No disrespect but the prop you recommend did not make sense to what others are using and they agreed that it did not make sense, that's why i did not purchase.
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-19-2018 at 10:20 AM.

a 1.8 or 1.9 pitch ratio prop is not the prop to get be careful who you listen to it can get expensive

No disrespect but the prop you recommend did not make sense to what others are using and they agreed that it did not make sense, that's why i did not purchase.
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you need answered until it makes sense to you. There are prop builders who will answer questions until they are blue in the face and not make you feel stupid for doing so or not purchasing their "best prop".

Quote Originally Posted by CHowarth View Post
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you need answered until it makes sense to you. There are prop builders who will answer questions until they are blue in the face and not make you feel stupid for doing so or not purchasing their "best prop".
    Agreed...but there is only a couple that are on top of their game and I've read plenty of "fake news" being put out lately as well, so be careful who you get your feedback from. Most people know where to order a prop from if they want all their boat is capable of doing as well. A CNC prop is not the way to go if that's what one's after either.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Agreed...but there is only a couple that are on top of their game and I've read plenty of "fake news" being put out lately as well, so be careful who you get your feedback from. Most people know where to order a prop from if they want all their boat is capable of doing as well. A CNC prop is not the way to go if that's what one's after either.
    I'm not speaking to a particular prop or "fake news". Rather, questions are part of the game, especially when one is spending $100+ for a prop. There are quite a few respected prop guys and I consider the interaction part of the process. Repeat business from me comes from a positive, overall experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CHowarth View Post
    I'm not speaking to a particular prop or "fake news". Rather, questions are part of the game, especially when one is spending $100+ for a prop. There are quite a few respected prop guys and I consider the interaction part of the process. Repeat business from me comes from a positive, overall experience.
    Understood. For some the prop industry might be their livelyhood and if they give out all the info then they might be out of work cause some people think they can just sand and polish a prop and it be as good as any...but that's not the case. I look at it like this, a mechanic shop isn't going to diagnose my car for free if I carried it to them but didn't buy their services to let them fix it and I fixed it myself after they told me what part number I would need to buy to fix it with. They would charge a diagnostic fee of some sort.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

What do you think 2218 2 blade ?
    Pretty sure I was saying 47-50mm 1.6 pitch. Kent should have some ideas too as I’m just getting going on dihedral hulls.
    Flat bottom pads such as the Zonda/Fantasm however

Pretty sure I was saying 47-50mm 1.6 pitch. Kent should have some ideas too as I’m just getting going on dihedral hulls.
    Flat bottom pads such as the Zonda/Fantasm however
    That's what i am talking about love it
    What kv motors are they?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 05-20-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast