Thread: Should I upgrade from Spectrum DX3S?

Question Should I upgrade from Spectrum DX3S?

I was preparing to mod a fiberglass hydro for an antenna tube yesterday. The mod would require a hole in the deck and cuts for an access port in the inner wall to install the tube and thread the antenna wire. It got me thinking - I don't really care for the look of the antenna tubes on boats. The previous owner of this boat ran Futaba and kept the antenna inside the boat. Hmmm... maybe it is a good time to upgrade my radio system to a newer model.

I have had zero problems with my DX3S, but I know it is becoming dated now. Oddly it isn't not even listed on the Specktrum website. Not even on the discontinued list. The discussions about the compatibility of the MR series of marine receivers with newer TX have further muddied the waters. How future proof is my DX3S? I believe it is compatible with the current Spektrum receivers (of course no benefit from any new TX/RX technology). Is it likely compatible receivers are on the endangered list however?

Currently I have two boats connected to my DX3S and I have an extra MR3000 reciever I can use for this new boat if I decide to mod it for the antenna. Regardless of brand, buying another TX would mean yet another TX goes to the pond as it would not be backwards compatible with my current RX. I sometimes let friends drive boats, so I don't mind having boats linked to another radio. Having said that I do already have a Motley Crew linked to the base level Tactic TX that it came with.

I like Spektrum. Can the new Spectrum systems run with the antenna inside a non CF boat? I expect the answer is still, "it is not recomended".
    Is Futaba a good choice for running with no external antenna?
    Are the new transmitters that much better than my current DX3S?
    Should I just stick with the DX3S, mod the boat and quit overthinking this?
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

Ordered a Futaba
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

I am not overly familiar with Spektrum, I had a very early one that was terrible, and lost confidence in the brand, so I can't answer your questions specifically.

I can however say that for best reception on any radio the antenna should be vertical and up high so the signal is not blocked by any conductive parts of the boat like the motor, battery, ESC, hardware, etc. As such internal antenna will not be recommended by any manufacturer that uses external antennas, and I wouldn't recommend a manufacturer that doesn't use external antennas.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I am not overly familiar with Spektrum, I had a very early one that was terrible, and lost confidence in the brand, so I can't answer your questions specifically.

I can however say that for best reception on any radio the antenna should be vertical and up high so the signal is not blocked by any conductive parts of the boat like the motor, battery, ESC, hardware, etc. As such internal antenna will not be recommended by any manufacturer that uses external antennas, and I wouldn't recommend a manufacturer that doesn't use external antennas.
    I totally agree. The Tactic had failed my several times in my particular lake . It happened in an area that was like " Bermuda Triangle". This despite the usual high praise for Tactic.
    I have never had any problem with the Marine series rxs and I don't mind the look of the antenna. I know it is a personal taste but I like the antenna look, some how it makes the boat look faster on water.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Thanks for the responses. I will most likely add an antenna tube to the boat even though I have a new radio coming. I just have to figure where the best place to add it is. I want to keep it away from the ESC and motor so it looks like my best options are open up an access port in the inner wall of the tub or add one to the hatch.

I have an OSE style antenna tube/mount in my parts box. I have read where some have epoxied half of an aluminum rivet in the hull. Any other clean ways to install a tube? I did some searching but didn't come up with much.

I usually use a silicon fuel tube to seal the antenna tube.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I couldn't find a Futaba 7px stateside, so I ended up ordering it from overseas. I ordered the package that comes with two R334SBS receivers. It came with a Futaba LiFe battery installed. I didn't expect the battery to be included. I guess I jumped the gun by ordering a LiFe battery before I received the the radio. Now I have a back up.