Thread: Sick shockwave 26

Default Sick shockwave 26

Running my shockwave 26 v3 (the green one) ,and all going very well,till took the boat outa the water ,changed battery ,but just about a minute into the run its making a loud rasping noise,so gently brought back to shore,i havent had chance to check boat out yet,but real worried. Can anybody offer any advice? Im not very gifted in handyman skills. In fact next to useless. Am i right in looking at the flex shaft ,tightness? Wear? And if i replace that with the proboat part how do i check if its o.k. outa the water? Im in the UK b.t.w.
    Btw the flex shaft was liberally greased before running.

Rasping is likely mechanical and furthermore likely flexshaft.
    Did the drive dog get loose and let the prop close the gap?
    Did the boat lose power while rasping?
    Was anything hot in the boat?
    Any metal shavings in the hull?
    Any telling photos?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hi Jesse, didnt notice power loss, no overheating evident ,no metal pieces in hull, i brought her gently in as soon as it was audible and consistent,im going to do a thorough inspection of the nut on the drive shaft to see if anything has worked loose ,then remove the flex shaft and inspect for damage, the noise only became evident when i tried to gun the throttle,it just started suddenly, my suspicions are its either the shaft ,which is not too much of a problem,as i can replace and fit a new one, or not so good, the motor, which i wont be near so confident about replacing myself.

Are you using the tephlon liner?
    Is your motor coupler getting pushed against the motor on full throttle? Check for circular wear marks around the shaft.
    Maybe some pictures would help.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

With no pictures, it sounds like the common accelerated aluminum stuffing tube wear issue this boat (along with the Blackjack 24) is known for. There is no bushing in the strut and any imbalance in the propshaft/prop area will cause uneven wear in the aluminum stuffing tube which runs through the length of the strut. The strut opening becomes ovalized which creates too much clearance for the propshaft, which in turns creates vibration, noise, and more wear. I believe I saw a running production change made on the Blackjack 24 to include the strut from the Recoil 26 that has a bushing pressed in. Not sure if that change was made to the Shockwave 26. It will be easy to tell which design you have by pulling the flex cable and inspecting the strut.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ran the boat two days ago, with weel greased flex shaft,was o.k for about 15 mins run time then the same audible low rasping sound started,so brought in slowly and carefully, and im noticing a visual degree of play on the shaft, something that isnt evident on my other boats,so im wondering if the felx shaft and liner need replacing,or whether the alloy drive support(dont know the correct descriptive term) is what needs replacement ??? Soryy if im a bit vague my tech kniwledge is somewhat limited.