Thread: Swordfish Pro+ 200 amp 8s ideal position in hull

Default Swordfish Pro+ 200 amp 8s ideal position in hull

I am aware that both motor leads and battery leads should be kept as short as possible, however, I am wondering if one has the choice what is better to have, either the motor leads or the battery leads the shortest.

On my current Osprey build I wanted to locate the ESC on the mount above the motor. This would give me the shortest battery leads but as the motor leads will be pointing aft then they will need to be turned 180 degrees towards the forward end of the motor. By having the ESC with motor leads facing forward the leads would be quite short but the battery leads very long.

If I fit the ESC to the starboard side of the hull adjacent my forward mounted battery trays then the motor leads will be shorter but the battery leads longer.

I would prefer the ESC mounted high above the motor mount to keep it hopefully out of any leakage into the hull.

Keep the battery leads short. It is said that motor lead length matters little. I think wire resistance is wire resistance but it does make sense to get the power to the ESC in the best manner first.

Sometimes the total wire distance is long, such as getting 2s 2p packs all wired together. I use multiple Cap banks when forced to longer lengths. On my dual, I have a common cap Bank, where all the battery wires (4 of them) come together. Then, each ESC has its own cap Bank. This is called “decoupling”. Wires at these current levels acts as inductors and the capacitance will offset the negative inductance effect. You are still left with resistance losses, but using good, low gauge wire makes that a much smaller concern. On higher voltage systems, the amps should be less, so the concern for resistance drops.

Many thanks gentlemen