Thread: ESC problem

Default ESC problem

Hello,
    Used my voracity for the second time ever yesterday. When I power the boat it just constantly beeps every second and the rudder servo is shuddering around. I have no control from the transmitter, I tried binding same issue and tried different batteries. Any ideas?

Found some water where the receiver connections are. Cleaned and dried still having same issue. Its waterproof receiver but maybe it went bad. I ordered a new one but not sure if that is the problem yet.

Sounds like it could be a bad receiver. You said you did a re-bind with the transmitter. Was that procedure successful?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

No it didn't bind the ESC just kept beeping each second. The rudder servo is not shuddering as much now but still some. When I completely unplug the receiver the ESC still continues to beep once each second. I am hoping it is just receiver but not sure.

The one-sec ESC beep usually means that the ESC is not seeing a proper frame signal from the Rec. This can be a backwards wiring connector or possibly, your throttle trim setting is maxed out and the frame signal is not close enough to be recognized as a zero position.

Thanks Craig I have the trim settings neutral and I double checked the pin connectors are same as shown on their website not flipped or switched. Not sure if there is anything else I can check before new receiver gets here tomorrow. I think it is just shorted in receiver from the little bit of water that I found sitting in the pin connector area. I am new to this so please feel free to make any other suggestions no matter how simple.

I only got one more trick in the bag... Try taking a hair dryer and throughly heating the rec board on both sides. Get it hot enough to just be too hot to keep in your hand. Do that about three times. IC chips can get water inside, but sometimes you can bake the water out before corrosion damage takes hold. If it isn’t that, then I’d just replace the rec, as you are doing.

New receiver solved the issue

Now work on waterproofing or keeping the boats interior dry.

My first Voracity hull leaked a good amount of water through the transom mounted hardware. I removed the screws and added some clear silicone caulk before reinstalling them. A bathtub test might clue you in on where your water is coming from. The hatch fitment on the second hull I had was terrible compared to the first. Without tape, water would definitely leak in if the boat flipped and landed upside down.

Another thing I've learned with that boat is the motor sits very low in the hull, so if you do get water in there, be sure to re-lube the bearings and possibly even treat the motor with corrosion-X if it gets wet enough. I re-waterproof all my receiver circuit boards with either epoxy or spray-on Liquid Tape and corrosion-X on the servo and speed controller wire terminals. No issues with them since.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by ChesapeakeChiller View Post
    New receiver solved the issue
    Like fweasel said, take the receiver and open it up and put a marine epoxy on both sides of the circuit board...let it dry and close it back up. Last year my receiver had water drip into it on more than one occasion and it would act erratically (once flooring the throttle until it crashed into the shores sand). Also, on the top exposed connectors that are not being used you should push in dielectric grease to prevent water from seeping in and causing shorting. I know you said you replaced the receiver but the problem will continue to happen if it gets wet again. I used to open it up and dry it off with a fan, but the problem kept happening last year. Keep your hatch taped and coat that receiver board with marine epoxy and it will not happen anymore.
    [Pro-Boat Voracity 36-E] [Volantex Angry Shark 798-2]
    [Feilun FT-011] [UDI Tempo 002]

Thanks everyone, I am working on waterproofing the boat and understanding how this epoxy and corrosion x stuff is done properly.