Thread: Flotation

Default Flotation

What are some recommendations for flotation in the boat? I know not to use styrofoam, what is recommended?

Many use cut up tube floaties, and use a hot glue gun to affix inside. This allows you the opportunity to remove if you need to get in there for repairs or whatever. Avoid spray in foam. This expands tremendously and can pop the hull seam. Also, try getting that stuff out if you need to.

Note: they’re called pool noodles...
    Last edited by CraigP; 05-02-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarifification

A lot of time I use two part foam and fill up the front for extra strength but you have to do it right or it will suck the hull in when it cures. Then the rest of the space I use poll noodles or some solid black noodle shaped foam I’ve found. .
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I use styrofoam in the enclosed areas of wooden hydros as I build them.
    But for monos & cats, as others have suggested, the good old pool noodle is great stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use pink foam insulation and some dark grey foam insulation. The grey stuff is hard to find but it's both the lightest and most sense I've used. I cut pieces so they fit tight and stick up high and then use a crude homemade foam cutter to trim the tops nicely after glued down with epoxy coating the inside.

This way the foam is structural and adds strength.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Where would one look to find the grey stuff?

Mine came from packing a long time ago. I hunted some down once but I've forgotten where on the web.
    Nortavlag Bulc

You can find Polyethylene packing foam on ebay. I use the pink stuff.

I use the pink stuff from Home Depot and install it like Paul above. Lately I've been considering water irrigation inside the hull (i.e. How does it drain out???, small openings on the frame bottoms to allow water to drain from each cavity). I also leave all my boats next to the dehumidifier after each race.

Pink is what I mainly used. I just had some gray stuff laying around that was awesome for flotation. Wish I could find more. It's the same material as pink and blue but just a higher density and same weight or less. Hard as a rock.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I bought polyethylene sheets and cut them to shape. This combined with the tubes should cover everything while still maintaining a high degree of stealth. I'll get pics once it's all installed.

You can also shove backing rods into the pool noodles and insulation "noodles". The backing rods are the same material but come in sizes more than small enough to fit.

IMG_20180606_224533.jpeg

Sent from under your bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use packing pillows and pool noodles and very little spay foam for windows, it expands less.
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

I recently used two part poly foam to adhere ping pong balls in place. Think there are 36 in the last sport I built.

If you close in two part foam on three sides, that's when the shrinking and expanding screws everything up.
    Noisy person

I'm sure it will! LOL Ping pong balls?? Good idea! Just keep your boat away from green tables!
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

You can get a 6 pack of black pool noodles for super cheap on Amazon.

Most of the time I use either pipe insulation or pool noodles from the dollar store.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Most of the time I use either pipe insulation or pool noodles from the dollar store.
    Same here.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I use $1.00 pool noodles in my FE and scale boats, Lots of colors to chose from and easy to work with