Thread: ProMarine MTR Prop Help

Default ProMarine MTR Prop Help

I have a ProMarine MTR I have been experimenting with the last few months. I tried a higher kv 40mm motor and 200a esc, with a cnc 42mm prop and had bad luck. I was trying to spin the motor way to fast and it was drawing on the esc and overheating things.

I now have a ZTW 200a ESC, and SSS 4092-14000kv motor setup that I would like to try out. My question is where should I start with props? The boat is a 34" Cat, I am strictly going for straight line speed, I do not race this one. I was thinking I need a larger diameter prop, but I am not sure where to start. I want to keep things running as cool as possible, and maximize performance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming 6s? I would try an x or m445

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastMTR View Post
    I have a ProMarine MTR I have been experimenting with the last few months. I tried a higher kv 40mm motor and 200a esc, with a cnc 42mm prop and had bad luck. I was trying to spin the motor way to fast and it was drawing on the esc and overheating things.

I now have a ZTW 200a ESC, and SSS 4092-14000kv motor setup that I would like to try out. My question is where should I start with props? The boat is a 34" Cat, I am strictly going for straight line speed, I do not race this one. I was thinking I need a larger diameter prop, but I am not sure where to start. I want to keep things running as cool as possible, and maximize performance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think a small prop will blow a esc maybe problems elsewhere ???

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I don't think a small prop will blow a esc maybe problems elsewhere ???
    I was running 6s with a 2200kv 40mm motor and 200a esc with a 42mm 1.6 pitch cnc de-tongued prop. I think the RPM was to much on 6s with that higher kv. I ended up with a smoked ZTW esc after the first run. So I am going out of my way this time to make sure I don't lose another $150 esc.
    Last edited by 1fastMTR; 04-30-2018 at 01:03 AM.

2200kv on 6s is SAW territory, an up & back pass then in to shore. How long was you run time.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    2200kv on 6s is SAW territory, an up & back pass then in to shore. How long was you run time.
    That was all it was. 15 seconds total throttle with the throttle end point set down to 80%, I was doing a pretty simple first run test. It went in the water off the dock, full throttle for 15 seconds and back to the dock. I pulled the lid and the caps were showing slight end expansion and there was a little bit of smoke, I also noticed a little bit of what looked like melted plastic oozing out from where the caps come through the esc case. It was really odd. I had made the same run on a SeaKing 120a esc and had no issues. This was my first and only run with the ZTW. I ordered another ZTW and have been trying to put together more info before I run it with this new 1400kv motor.

I honestly think that the first esc was defective from the get, the servo was a little bit glitchy and it took several cycles to get it to boot up. I set the endpoints, and used their programmer to set the lvc, throttle start %, and timing (set at 2*). It kept doing the 6 beeps like it was booting, it did this several times before it got to a functional point. Now when I put power to it, it seems to be stuck in a boot loop.

If the throttle trim is advance to much it will not start up. Decrease the throttle trim and try again.

About the prop for the 4092. You can try the m445, m545, or m645 for start on 6s.