Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namba membership cards

Default Namba membership cards

I'm not sure what these costs to produce, but with most everyone having a smart phone, could some monet be saved by just emailing a copy.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Good idea. I was sorta hoping for a double secret decoder ring though.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

Technology + NAMBA??? Good luck. Good idea though. I pretty much always have my phone, rarely have card on me.

Actually the current NAMBA hierarchy is much more technology savvy than in the past. I remember an argument I had with a former secretary (several years ago) who would absolutely not use common computerized mailing lists and envelope printing. I was trying to save the secretary time, but all I got was why it wouldn’t work. I gave up.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    Technology + NAMBA??? Good luck. Good idea though. I pretty much always have my phone, rarely have card on me.
    I have to much junk in my wallet already. I took a picture of it and put it in a folder on my phone that I can find.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

You are right Fluid, the new online voting and registration is much better than having to mail things in. Steven, I don't even carry a wallet, got tired of all the extra BS you can pack into one. Just a money clip for me.

Online voting is great!
    Steven Vaccaro

Not quite the same as a e-card, but both orgs maintain a current year membership roster on their websites.

http://member.namba.com/pdf_files/roster.pdf

I was at our local IMPBA club meeting last night and the Club heiarchy got confused when my buddy said to contact the power boaters we send a group text out. Totally confused the guys. "Flip phones unite"

I think crazy that NAMBA still mails a paper copy of rules and Nats...etc even though it all online.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I have to much junk in my wallet already. I took a picture of it and put it in a folder on my phone that I can find.

I do this. Keeps my hands free.........

card.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Ha, since I have a large head that method should also work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I do this. Keeps my hands free.........

card.jpg
    Steven Vaccaro

We have club members that don't have email and don't use computers. They rely on others to take care of anything required to be done on line. Super annoying.
    Noisy person

Another membership card-type requirement (at orficial events) :

NAMBA rulebook
    Section : SAFETY
    Section # 8
    Page 1
    Revised 2/15/14

GENERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS

1. "NAMBA members must have their NAMBA numbers on their boats and their backs
    (my bold) Minimum number sizes will be 1-1/2" on the back ........."

Memories

shirt.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony, yer a relatively intelligent guy so I'll ask you.....how come?

The safety rules are there to protect us and the organizations from.....well.......us. That's how I always think of it. I have no problem with safety rules. We can't be too safe. We need to force people to be responsible. It's a dangerous hobby. The rules need to actually negate some danger though. IMPBA has the same rule plus or minus. I get grief for questioning these type of rules but how do numbers on shirts or the boats for that matter increase safety? I've been racing a while now and can't for the life of me think of a risk that this requirement addresses. Numbers on my back to identify my body after a tornado? The insurance company says so is not an answer. It's the lazy answer but still not an answer.

It's much like IMPBA requiring batteries be removed from boats for charging. A rule fueled by ignorance that provides no safety. Although that may a bad comparison. Requiring batteries be removed makes sites less safe. The numbers thing merely serves no purpose.

I know............in my best monotone............... Wealljustdowhatwedocuzthat'showit'salwaysbeendoneD on'tquesstionitTerryGetbackinlinewiththerestofthes heeple.

It's in books. There it will remain for ever and ever amen.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Tony, yer a relatively intelligent guy so I'll ask you.....how come?

The safety rules are there to protect us and the organizations from.....well.......us. That's how I always think of it. I have no problem with safety rules. We can't be too safe. We need to force people to be responsible. It's a dangerous hobby. The rules need to actually negate some danger though. IMPBA has the same rule plus or minus. I get grief for questioning these type of rules but how do numbers on shirts or the boats for that matter increase safety? I've been racing a while now and can't for the life of me think of a risk that this requirement addresses. Numbers on my back to identify my body after a tornado? The insurance company says so is not an answer. It's the lazy answer but still not an answer.

It's much like IMPBA requiring batteries be removed from boats for charging. A rule fueled by ignorance that provides no safety. Although that may a bad comparison. Requiring batteries be removed makes sites less safe. The numbers thing merely serves no purpose.

I know............in my best monotone............... Wealljustdowhatwedocuzthat'showit'salwaysbeendoneD on'tquesstionitTerryGetbackinlinewiththerestofthes heeple.

It's in books. There it will remain for ever and ever amen.
    Terry,

Honestly I have no idea, but a few thoughts come to mind. To begin with, like the majority of the NAMBA rulebook content, it likely was initially written in prehistoric times to govern things in the nitro and gas world (although electric did exist back in the early days to some extent).

That the "numbers thing" appears in the SAFETY section of the manual might just be 'cause it didn't quite fit anywhere else BUT it also IS the first rule of the section.

Tyler could very well have some accurate insight should he wander into this thread.

Needless to say events at club level (with no National Points aspirations) can pick and choose which rules to follow and which ones won't be observed plus adding any new features (clothing optional pits ? )

Safety rules are the ones we can't ignore in both orgs. Plus, you've seen these guys. Clothing optional? Just gack'd.
    Noisy person

Safety rules are the ones we can't ignore in both orgs. Plus, you've seen these guys. Clothing optional? Just gack'd.
    So do we need shirts with our membership number on the back for the Michigan Nats?

Never mind..I looked in section S and couldn't find anything...however....
    L. Boats will be checked to see each has an antenna before the race is started

Michigan is IMPBA!

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Michigan is IMPBA!
    See my post #19

I'm bored....

Its interesting as to how ambiguous the rules can be...IMPBA for example under General Rules of Competition :

"III – SAFETY AND CODE OF CONDUCT
    A. All competitors and clubs agree to follow all safety procedures and code of conduct rules outlined in
    Section S of the IMPBA Rule Book"

OK, so all the safety rules in Section S have to be followed.

However, there are very few "shall" and "must" requirements.

Example :4. No person shall be permitted in the water without expressed permission of the Contest Director.

So no one is allowed in the water unless the CD gives permission. Fine, sounds reasonable.

However, safety netting isn't a requirement except in the pits.

Example:

SAFETY NETTING should be placed on all sides of the pond exposed directly to spectators and contestants. Safety nets should be inspected prior to the race for tears and dry rot, and if the net is found to be in a deteriorated state, it should be replaced with new netting prior to use.
    Net supports should be spaced no more than 10 feet apart. Any area that is not covered bysafety nets must be kept free of all people and animals during the event with signs and/or ropes
    or barriers of some kind.

Yes we have to follow the safety rules, but the safety rules in many cases tell you you don't have to do things.

Last edited by Doby; 04-30-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Sorry for deviating from the Membership card issue of the thread, but Terry opened the door.

Good grief!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Good grief!
    I told you, I'm bored!

Maybe I'll open up a new P Limited Motor thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I told you, I'm bored!

Maybe I'll open up a new P Limited Motor thread.

Terry I disagree with ur saying charging batteries in boats is as safe as charging out of boats.. in all reality we should be using lipo bags for charging.. they are required at most tracks(car). As someone that trsvels to races a lot.. I have seen tons of lipo fires.. I’ve seen a lot of equipment including boats burnt to ground.. I have also seen a lipo bag prevent a lot of this carnage.. so it goes to the age old dinosaur thinking. But I do think all lipo charging should be done in a fire proof bag

Lipo bag is no match for a pair of 6s4k. A Batsafe is the best option.

If a pack catches fire while charging currently at a race what are your options? You can hit it with an extinguisher or dump and on it and hope for the best. If those two things don't contain it you're fire spreads to the table, the other batteries on the table which are now all right next to each other, the other chargers, the boats on the tables, the canopy, the canopies next to you. You're little fire becomes something else. Requiring the packs be removed is the IMPBA rule. Not safer. A big a$$ fire has more potential to injure.

If the burning pack was in a boat...........you at least have the option of relocating the fire away from people. You lose A boat. Who cares about the boat? We're not protecting property. Property isn't insured anyway.
    Noisy person

Lipo bag is no match for a pair of 6s4k. A Batsafe is the best option.

If a pack catches fire while charging currently at a race what are your options? You can hit it with an extinguisher or dump and on it and hope for the best. If those two things don't contain it you're fire spreads to the table, the other batteries on the table which are now all right next to each other, the other chargers, the boats on the tables, the canopy, the canopies next to you. You're little fire becomes something else. Requiring the packs be removed is the IMPBA rule. Not safer. A big a$$ fire has more potential to injure.

If the burning pack was in a boat...........you at least have the option of relocating the fire away from people. You lose A boat. Who cares about the boat? We're not protecting property. Property isn't insured anyway.
    Terry you are right. While not on exactly a lipo fire, I had a esc fire in florida a few years back on powerup. My son connected 2 4s packs in series instead of parallel and poof. The esc was flaming real good, then shrink of the lipo started to catch fire, I simply tossed the boat off my table, the cat landed on the deck and the lack of air put the fire out rather quickly.
    Steven Vaccaro

Anyone else have a fire blanket, fire extinguisher, and a bucket of sand within their reach? If not, pit by me I've got you covered.
    (I also have a smoke detector in the trailer, PITA when soldering.lol)
    I'm thinking I'd go for the fire blanket first but luckily I have no experience with lipo fires.

Regardless I'll follow the rule until it's changed, and I've never known that to happen by yacking on a forum..... just sayin..
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 05-04-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: language...
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast