Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HiModel 4s-8s 200 amp esc

Just thought I'd relate a little situation I had with one of these ESC's a couple of weekends ago.
    Boat...32" cat, 8XL, 4s 5350mah 25c Lipo, X640 prop
    Brought the boat in after a good solid run. It stopped a few meters off shore, so I eased on the throttle a bit & the prop turned a few times & then stopped. I backed off with the throttle & tried again. Same result. Tried more throttle & nothing..
    After getting the boat & opening it up I first checked the battery voltage at 3.8v/cell Which is OK in my book. Motor & shaft spun freely. All connections good. Heat was mild like it always is.
    Tried the throttle again & motor revved up but only to what sounded like half revs at full throttle. Put the boat back in the water, gave it 1/4 throttle, motor kicked over a few times & stopped.
    Tried again out of the water & motor revved again but not to full revs.
    Thought I'd killed the ESC, but when I got home I decided to reprogramme it making sure I entered every setting even the default ones that you don't normally touch like brake, rotation, PWM, etc.
    Tried it out on Saturday & everything was fine. No problems at all.
    Maybe this will help someone if their ESC stops working & is not obviously blown or overly cooked.
    All the best.
    Paul.

Thank you. Good to know.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

uh, yeah...sorta. haha
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Could some one help me to pick the right esc?

The himodel site has 3/7 cell no bec and 4/8cell bec one.

Witch one keeps the blue smoke inside better? -i will be using castle bec anyways.

Thinking of using it with 8XL and delta 29 (or bigger hull in the future). 4-6 cells

Is the OSE cooling plate good on this, and the thermal paste that Steven sells ok with this?

Or is the brass tubing on the cooling fins better mod?

-Pate

the 4/8 esc can use the lipos as a source to power the receiver/servo while the 3/7 will require a separate battery pack or a ubec. The cooling plate from OSE fits and the thermal paste will work, I used Artic silver thermal epoxy from the computer store. I know some have put brass tubes in the cooling fins and works good too.

Ken
    DF-29,Phil Thomas Super Sport 45, SV27, Xzess 2 Evo, HOTR 32" Cat

Thanks Ken!

I will be using the Castle BEC in both cases anyway, just wondering witch is the better esc

himodel site there was many reviews on 3/7 but nothing on 4/8

the 3/7 is cheaper too(well 2$ worth )

Found these on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/Flyermate-Atlant...d=p3286.c0.m14

Don't know anything about them.
    Government Moto:

I have the 100A version on my 29" DF copy, it is from the same ebay seller, Swang, good stuff for the money!
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

I like the 4/8 JMO don't need the ubec, and its around 105 degrees after a run with the 8xl and m445.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by FastVee View Post
    Thanks Ken!

I will be using the Castle BEC in both cases anyway, just wondering witch is the better esc

himodel site there was many reviews on 3/7 but nothing on 4/8

the 3/7 is cheaper too(well 2$ worth )

FV
    both are a very popular and proven ....you couldnt go wrong with either one

yes OSE etti cooling plate will work and its a super easy mod...that heat sink pops right off but do it carefully...there are many threads explaining how to do it

and for the price its a no brainer....I think if you contact ray fuller at rrr he has one for $49 but he probabley wants shipping...if you buy from himodel they ship pretty fast and are reputable

GL...... keep up the good building
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Hey guys, well this weekend i had the magical smoke escape my ESC I currently have the Turnigy 120A marine ESC running a fiegao 8xl on 3s and 4s. This is all in a 25" DF copy running an X640. I was thinking of going with the 4/8s Himodel. How do you guys think this set-up will work?

I am beginning to think an evil Genie occupies all esc's, regardless of brand and when we utter just the right word, he pops out and smokes our speedies. How else to you explain it?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by M.M. View Post
    Hey guys, well this weekend i had the magical smoke escape my ESC I currently have the Turnigy 120A marine ESC running a fiegao 8xl on 3s and 4s. This is all in a 25" DF copy running an X640. I was thinking of going with the 4/8s Himodel. How do you guys think this set-up will work?
    Can you put the smoke back in Sorry to hear that MM I've had very good success on the Himodel 4/8s on my DF29 8xl with a m445, 139 amps peak and its only warm. Knock on wood but I like this controller and think others that use it would say the same for the $. Should work out good on your setup.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    I am beginning to think an evil Genie occupies all esc's, regardless of brand and when we utter just the right word, he pops out and smokes our speedies. How else to you explain it?
    Maybe you just gave us the answer...Don't rub the boat before connecting the batteries this way all the smoke including the genie stay in. JK

Ken

Ok, thanks. I will order one soon. I am going to try and fix my ESC. My dad is an electrician so we are going to tear it apart and see of we can fix it.

Orered the 4/8 model.

Since the etti cooling plate is out of stock, can some one tell me how to make the stock cooling plate work. The brass tube size and other things to get to make it work.

watched the pics on this thread, if there is more info somewhere, post it please.

(waterproofing info needed too -or do I just dip the whole thing in epoxy or what? )

And I paid with paypal, the paypal transaction receipt is only that I got, so do they usually send some kind of shippe info or do I just wait...

check out my web page, I posted some pixs of "my" watercooling design, it's based on computer's waterblock design, easier to build than it looks with a Dremel! no soldering or special gluing required, just aluminium, plastic, fittings and silicone!
    Emmanuel

Quote Originally Posted by FastVee View Post
    Orered the 4/8 model.

Since the etti cooling plate is out of stock, can some one tell me how to make the stock cooling plate work. The brass tube size and other things to get to make it work.

watched the pics on this thread, if there is more info somewhere, post it please.

(waterproofing info needed too -or do I just dip the whole thing in epoxy or what? )

And I paid with paypal, the paypal transaction receipt is only that I got, so do they usually send some kind of shippe info or do I just wait...

Same here. I need to know how to water cool/ waterproof the 4/8 HiModel

I'm really impressed by your website! I wish I had a milling machine to make the 'waterblocks'! Your outrigger design really intrigues me as well. What is the thought of putting the propeller offset outside the the transom? Your boats run really good also. I watched the videos. VERY NICE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ED66677 View Post
    check out my web page, I posted some pixs of "my" watercooling design, it's based on computer's waterblock design, easier to build than it looks with a Dremel! no soldering or special gluing required, just aluminium, plastic, fittings and silicone!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I googled for computer water cooling. There's some cool stuff out there. Only went to one site so far. Good prices. I wonder if we could adapt some of their stuff to our use? Prices are not bad.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ther...materials.html
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

yeah the milling machine (mine is more a router than anything else) helps but you can do the same waterblock with a Dremel on a drilling stand with a 1/4" wood milling bit!
    The rigger design is from SimonO (OSE forum member), the prop offset is supposed to counter the prop torque/prop walk effect, very few guys do the same on mono's!
    I googled for computer water cooling. There's some cool stuff out there. Only went to one site so far. Good prices. I wonder if we could adapt some of their stuff to our use? Prices are not bad.
    I guess most computer's waterblock are too small, the biggest are probably the size of a CPU!
    Emmanuel

Peter makes the finest water cooler for the himodel 200amp I have ever seen and pretty reasonable too.....then he dips the whole thing in that liquid plastic making it water proof

SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Nice. How much?
    Government Moto:

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Found these on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/Flyermate-Atlant...d=p3286.c0.m14

Don't know anything about them.
    i dont like to bash places on threads but in this case i will, other people may have had good results. i will not buy anything from swang hobbies, if they were the last place on earth to get boat parts i would pack my gear up and never run boats again
    i will give most places a second chance but when you get screwed twice thats it for me
    just my 2c

What was your issues with Swanghobby?

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    i dont like to bash places on threads but in this case i will, other people may have had good results. i will not buy anything from swang hobbies, if they were the last place on earth to get boat parts i would pack my gear up and never run boats again
    i will give most places a second chance but when you get screwed twice thats it for me
    just my 2c
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

okay first time was a set off batteries, this was awhile back when i first whent lipo, lipos were running in a 25" mono that has been data logged at max amp draw 45 amps they lipos in question were rated at 25c and should have been able to run the boat easily but even connected 2p they couldnt run the boat for 1 minute with out getting extremely hot and puffed after 1 run , but hey iam not they only one been done on cheap packs, well not that cheap cost me more than what you know pay for zippys, sent them acouple of emails no replie
    so i let it be.
    so a little while ago i wanted a turnigy/hobby wing 120a esc to try out hobby city was out of stock again so i thought i would give swang hobbys one last try, paid for express shipping on esc and program box. i recieved a tracking number but after 4 days still nothing would show up so sent them a email, for 3 days they only replie i got was the same tracking number. acouple more days go by and i email them again and they say there was a problem here is the real tracking number
    if i ordered somthing from some place and there was a problem on getting it shipped out and they sent me a email that said it would be a few days or a week till it was shipped i could except that,but to lie to people and give faulse tracking numbers is just to dodgy for me
    scott

As for batteries, I try to stay away from the cheap Chinese batteries. Although there seems to be nothing but rave reviews about the Zippy's, I am leary of everything else. I have bought gawd knows how many lipo samples over the past 5 years only to find most of them total crap.

Shipping anything out of mainland China is as much a challenge for them as for you. They all have to use shipping brokers over there. They can't just take it to the post office like you and I can. Sometimes the broker delays the shipment for whatever reason, gives them the wrong tracking number, doesn't return their calls when they try to check on your order, etc. I doubt Swanghobby had any control over it. I bring in about twenty to thirty EMS shipments a year ranging from small to big and every one is an adventure. We have to learn that we can't expect the standards we enjoy here to apply to them. Patience is the key.

Don't be so hard on Swanghobby. I have had good luck with them through their wholesale division. To expect something in 4 days even though you paid for EMS is not realistic. EMS can run anywhere from 4 days (shortest) to 2 weeks. You wouldn't believe the convoluted route your package takes before it even leaves China. It's about a quota system for each post office. If the nearest post office has reached it's quota, the item may be sent hundreds of miles away to a post office that needs more business to meet theirs. Very weird but true and it greatly slows down your shipment. Sometimes I have stuff get hung up in US Customs which is of course out of the control of the Chinese company. If you want to buy cheap from China, you will have to learn to live with the shipping conditions. Believe me, they are doing the best they can because they want you to come back and buy again. If you need something quick, go to your LHS or order it from here in the states and pay the market price.

You can NOT compare mainland China shipping with Hobby City! Hong Kong has a totally different postal system which is underwritten by the government and everything goes directly out of there to the states, no convoluted routing,so they can send stuff cheap. With their standard shipping for $5 or whatever, it's about 10 days-2weeks. On the mainland, they have no such luxury and their shipping rates are outrageous.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Peter is truly a master. That is one fine cooler! What is he getting for them?

[QUOTE=bustitup;112570]Peter makes the finest water cooler for the himodel 200amp I have ever seen and pretty reasonable too.....then he dips the whole thing in that liquid plastic making it water proof
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

i have to disagree with your comments as i didnt excpect it to arrive in 4 days, but 4 days after i recieved a tracking number that couldnt be found which turned out to be bogues.
    i have never voiced my opinion before on any forums but when i saw someone was looking at a swang hobby product i thought i would voice my opinion.
    if people want to buy from them good luck as for myself i wouldnt touch them if they were they only hobby supplier in the world

What is the wire thickness on the esc wires? -need to order some of same gauge as the battery leads on esc.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast