Thread: Just can't get enough of these Traxxas Villain boats ...

Wink Just can't get enough of these Traxxas Villain boats ...

Hiya Guys ,

Wow, it's been awhile. Anyhoo, I've went & done it again. I just can't seem to get enough of these Traxxas villain boats . I know I got out of the hobby primarily but I thought I'd still be nice to have a boat or two to dabble with on occasion . I finally went and bought myself a really nice Venom King of Shaves V.2 twin because I've always wanted one since I drooled on one at my local HobbyTown when they were new.

Well I recently finished getting the ekos set up and ready to run once I'm back on my feet, and I'm almost done setting up my new exceed MaxStone 8 crawler as a 3s multi-purpose Trail rig and that got me to thinking that it would be nice to have another Traxxas Villain project to work over and setup that I might even make a trailer for to pull behind my MaxStone so I went on the search for one.

I didn't realize how rare the villain boats are getting since I bought my last villain let alone how hard it's getting to find a really good deal on one. The first two places I checked where the classifieds at RC Tech and RC Universe only to find out that neither one of them has had a villain listed since the last one that came up for sell at RC Tech and few years ago which I purchased. Then I checked with eBay and figured out why. Apparently Traxxas villains in really nice condition have been selling for a mint compared to what they use to sell for. I did find one I was interested in on eBay but I decided to pass on it because $160 was a little much IMO. I put my googlefu to use which led me to several that were for sale on Craigslist in a couple different states so I started making some phone calls to inquire about them which finally led me to this all original Villain IV Chaparral from the mid to early 80's that I got for $100 shipped.

The gentleman I bought it from decided to tear it apart so he could strip it down and repaint it but he didn't get any farther than taking it almost completely apart before he sat it aside. Thankfully he had all the parts and all the original nuts bolts and screws to to put it back together again. It also came with a pair of vintage Trinity monster horsepower 1987 World Finals 40,000k motors which I definitely plan on installing in the boat. The boat had a couple years of dust setting on it (literally) and the ABS plastic might be a little yellow but it's not brittle or cracked anywhere. I gave it a real good douching with some furniture polish and it cleaned it right up and conditioned the ABS nicely. Overall even though it's a 35 some year old boat it's in really nice shape and will make a worthy villain project boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey ! Been a while !! Yup, something about them Villians that just capture your attention. Great scale look and run really nice in their intended area of operation. Back in the early 00's I couldn't decide between the Villian (advertised I think at 19mph and the Twinstorm - tested at @ 21 mph.) There was a Boat Modeler Mag that did a side-by-side test. I sprung for the Twinstorm - 2 brushed 21T or? motors geared to a single outdrive. Had lots of good times& ended up putting in a single motor - got it up to a staggering 31mph !! Good times

Twinstorm.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

The Villain is what started my obsession with FE back in the Summer of 2002, think I paid close to $700 Canadian Peso's! I think mine would have been lucky to hit 18mph and the runtime was pretty poor and temps were through the roof on all components but whatever, I was so fascinated by that boat. I ended up modifying mine heavily, think I ended up with a single brushed 700 motor on an FDM gear drive...on 12 Nicad cells, probably close to 30mph which seemed pretty speedy at the time. I don't know what it is about that Villain hull but it just does something special to me every time I see one and I too have cruised Ebay for a mint condition one several times, still have yet to pull the trigger as the last thing I need is another boat but it's just such a nostalgic icon from that Era, long live the Villain! Heading to Ebay now...

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Hey ! Been a while !! Yup, something about them Villians that just capture your attention. Great scale look and run really nice in their intended area of operation. Back in the early 00's I couldn't decide between the Villian (advertised I think at 19mph and the Twinstorm - tested at @ 21 mph.) There was a Boat Modeler Mag that did a side-by-side test. I sprung for the Twinstorm - 2 brushed 21T or? motors geared to a single outdrive. Had lots of good times& ended up putting in a single motor - got it up to a staggering 31mph !! Good times

Twinstorm.jpg

Thanks P.C. It has been awhile, but you know me. Since Make-A-Wake got out of the hobby, I'm probably one of the few vintage boat junkies left on the board even though I'm not into the hobby like I used to be, but I still like to Dabble a bit ...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    The Villain is what started my obsession with FE back in the Summer of 2002, think I paid close to $700 Canadian Peso's! I think mine would have been lucky to hit 18mph and the runtime was pretty poor and temps were through the roof on all components but whatever, I was so fascinated by that boat. I ended up modifying mine heavily, think I ended up with a single brushed 700 motor on an FDM gear drive...on 12 Nicad cells, probably close to 30mph which seemed pretty speedy at the time. I don't know what it is about that Villain hull but it just does something special to me every time I see one and I too have cruised Ebay for a mint condition one several times, still have yet to pull the trigger as the last thing I need is another boat but it's just such a nostalgic icon from that Era, long live the Villain! Heading to Ebay now...

Ha ha, that's awesome, hope you find a nice Villain to pull the trigger on . I haven't really been active on the board since the layout of the board was changed a couple years ago but I still have a few Villain build threads floating around & I still like to dabble with the vintage boats.

I already got the inside of the boat gutted and cleaned out in preparation for another villain project and in the end I'm looking for about 30 or so MPH which is respectable and fairly easy to accomplish with the villain's today. I've already started to locate a few parts here locally and putting a shopping list together for the rest & it looks a little something like this :

Octura prop shafts w/ aluminum X447 props
    11/32 stuffing tube upgrades
    4x8x3 stainless abec flanged bearings instead of bushings
    The Monster Horsepower 40,000k motors
    Water cooling kit for the motors with oversized high-flow pickups
    EVX 2 watercooled speed control
    250 oz. waterproof servo
    Turnigy sbec @ 6 volts
    3s / 4s 50c lipo piwer

On another note one of the first things I wanted to add to my shopping list was the Traxxas tra1517 deck railing kit to go with the original 102 whip antenna which I'm glad is still on this boat. I checked with eBay, Amazon, a-main Hobbies, hobby explosion, go Nitro hobbies and numerous other outlets only to find out everyone is sold out , then I remembered fun RC boats so I checked with them real quick and I'll be damned if they didn't have one so I ordered it before someone else beat me to it. It also seems that most everyone is out of stock and back ordered on k&s 11/32 tubing which I usually always order from Tower Hobbies since they're generally the most reasonably priced out of everyone. Their website says they're backordered until early next month so I guess I'll bide my time and order some when they get it in stock again to upgrade the drives in this villain.

Amazon has 11/32 k&s tubing - I'll see if I can post the link

https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-MET...70_&dpSrc=srch

Also E-Bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-Metal-R...IAAOSwy6hancML
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Amazon has 11/32 k&s tubing - I'll see if I can post the link

https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-MET...70_&dpSrc=srch

Also E-Bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-Metal-R...IAAOSwy6hancML

Thanks P.C. , fortunately I found a little bit better deal on eBay instead of amazon. I was planning on ordering a couple from Tower Hobbies because they're only $3 a piece + shipping but they're out of stock so the deal on eBay is fine with me.

On another note I got some crappy news from fun RC boats today. Earlier I mentioned that I was looking all over online trying to find a Traxxas 1517 kit for new deck railings and an air horn for this boat & I thought I got lucky when I ordered one from fun RC boats until I got an email from them this afternoon. Apparently the Traxxas TRA1517 kit has been discontinued, no wonder everyone is out of them. That's something that I really need for this boat so I guess I'll have to Fab up some of my own deck railings, unless I find some deck railings for a different boat that I can use on this one, idk? ...
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 04-26-2018 at 12:47 PM.