Thread: RCM telemetry issue

Default RCM telemetry issue

I can't seem to get my RCM telemetry to transmit information. It is showing a link between the onboard collector and the gateway.

The GPS light on the gateway is off (slightly overcast so I do not know how clear the sky needs to be.

I can connect to the gateway with my tablet. However, I get no information. No battery voltage. No temperature information from either temperature sensor.

Am I doing something wrong? I am powering the collector with a new 6.6V life battery through the balance port.

You have to link the bluetooth from the gateway to your android. click the bluetooth symbol on the top LHS of the screen. it will bring up another smaller screen that has research at the top. Click on that and it should find the device.
    The GPS light should be on also, all your lights need to be on if it is connected and working properly. Maybe post some pics of how you have set it up. Also check everything is plugged into the correct ports, I know it sounds dumb but sometimes we overlook the dumb stuff and when we check....
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I have connected my tablet to the gateway. The only light on the gateway that isn’t lit is for the gps. I will post a pic of how I have the system connected when I get a chance later today.

i have had issues with the RCM telemetry on overcast days. Try again on a good, clear day perhaps to help diagnose the issue. Stick at it, once the unit is working they are great!

rcm telemetry.jpg

Here is a pic of my basic setup. While this picture is inside my house, all my failed testing has been done outside.

If I do not get a GPS signal, should I not at least have battery voltage and temperature probe information? Or is this an all or nothing proposition?

Yes, you should be able to get your temp, voltage and rpm readings even if your gps is not connected. I just plugged mine into confirm that.
    You also will not be able to hit the play button in the blue screen area until you have gps signal. The play button will start a run which logs and time, averages and highs on your readings. You will be able to review and save this data.

Your setup looks correct. The only difference I have in my setup is that I am using a 2S 6.6v LiFe receiver battery and I am connecting directly to the positive and negative power on the battery. Not sure that would make a difference but it’s the only difference I see compared to me.

As far as the gps signal, I’m a little surprised some are having issues on overcast days. I know it says right in the instructions that on cloudy days the devise may fail to fix position… but I did my initial test about 6 weeks ago on a very cloudy day and had the gps unit inside a wood sport hydro. I set the unit up inside my boat with the hatch all taped and then strapped the boat to the top of my car. I drove around and compared the gps speed to my cars digital speedometer and my digital garmin gps. Everything worked great and was accurate. There was a noticeable lag on speed changes compared to my car but I ultimately got the same max speed.
    Have fun with that....

I would confirm you are defiantly getting at least 5v to the collector.
    I assume the red light it lit on the collector? Can't tell from the photo.
    And it does appear that you have the sensor wires plugged into the two pins which are most towards the inside of the collector unit.
    Have fun with that....

Maybe try deleting the app... and try to re-install.
    I see in the instructions it says "if you have V1.0App, please delete it before installing V2.0App."
    It looks like you have the V1 collector... would this mean you need the V1.0App? Not sure.

Maybe reach out to Joe at RC Boat Bitz with that question. His email is rcboatbitz@bigpond.com
    He is pretty good with communication. Just remember the time zone differences as he's in Australia.
    BTW... he is the maker of these. That's why I said you should reach out to him. Well he had them made... he didn't make them himself.
    Have fun with that....

The collector is labeled as V2. The red light on the collector is on. The android app is version 2.

I will verify the battery voltage tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by i8tweety View Post
    The collector is labeled as V2.
    Okay, I wasn't sure as I saw V1.0 on the receiver unit.
    Have fun with that....

The battery is reading 6.6v on my voltage meter. I even tried it without the gps unit or temp sensors connected to see if that would help. It still won’t so much as tell me the battery voltage.

After hours of failed troubleshooting, I rebooted my tablet and voila, all my issues were resolved. Battery voltage, temperature probes, and GPS readings all working fine. I never even considered rebooting the tablet since it was successfully connecting to the receiver unit. Hopefully the weather will be warm enough to test it on the water.

Great Bob,
    I was actually just thinking about you last night. Wondering if you ever got that figured out.
    I thought it may have been some kind of tablet/software issue when I suggested you remove and reload the app.

Well, glad to hear you got it going...
    Have fun with that....

The kicker is I did uninstall and reinstall without success, hoping that was the issue, never thinking about rebooting.

That's what I get for buying an android tablet specifically for use with this toy (why can't they launch an iOS interface?).

I did that same thing, but bought an android phone. It serves one purpose and that's to run this app. I fumble my way through operating it.

From what I heard the iOS app is more expensive to develop as there is some info necessary that the app creators have to pay for.
    I'm not a computer tech guy... I use one everyday but don't know anything about programming or such.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of the terms can fill in the answers on that.
    Have fun with that....

my android device has spotty service where i run. (on top of mountain) do i need good service to use this device?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    my android device has spotty service where i run. (on top of mountain) do i need good service to use this device?
    No as the unit uses wifi between the base and the boat and bluetooth between the base and android device.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.