Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin XLX Zonda what TP Motor and props ????

Default Twin XLX Zonda what TP Motor and props ????

As the title states, modifying two XLX's waterproofing, cooling mods from ideas on this site thanks guys .
    I have been running the XLX in my rc car and know all the ins and outs of the software and i love it.
    So the big question is what size TP Can 40?? should i get and what kV ?
    Going to be 6S per ESC .
    Looking for best of both worlds run time and speed 80mph
    Turnigy Graphene batteries Specs:
    Capacity:*!**5000mAh
    Voltage:*!**6S1P / 6 Cell / 22.2V
    Discharge:*!**65C Constant / 130C Burst
    And what prop to use with it ?
    Rx and servo will be powered by a 6.6V life battery even tho two XLX's have 20A bec each
    And it's in a Zonda.

I have to stop looking at this forum, you guys keep giving me idea's and i keep spending more money
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-17-2018 at 11:12 PM.

TP4050 1460kV, 1570kV, 1700kV variants on 6S will put you right around the 30K RPM range and is a good size motor for that hull.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice nice what do you think of 4060 1700kv ?
    Isn't the magic number these days 40k rpm range so i have been told or is the Zonda not capable of doing this?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-17-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Your RPM depends on what you want out of the boat. I'm using 4060 2450kV motors on 5s in my 45" cat for SAW runs. I'm also going to run a 4060 1750kV on 6s in my 37" Genesis, again for SAW runs only. Both of those setups will be around 45K RPM, unloaded, and will have only enough battery for a handful of passes. Search for existing builds on that hull and research what people are running setup wise and what the resulting speeds and run times work out to be.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Your RPM depends on what you want out of the boat. I'm using 4060 2450kV motors on 5s in my 45" cat for SAW runs. I'm also going to run a 4060 1750kV on 6s in my 37" Genesis, again for SAW runs only. Both of those setups will be around 45K RPM, unloaded, and will have only enough battery for a handful of passes. Search for existing builds on that hull and research what people are running setup wise and what the resulting speeds and run times work out to be.
    Thanks for the reply, i have searched until my head lots and lots of info
    Just want to lock it in now .
    Ok 4060 locked in, now for kV 1750 or 1950 , my head hurts
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-18-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    Thanks for the reply, i have searched until my head lots and lots of info
    Just want to lock it in now .
    Ok 4060 locked in, now for kV 1750 or 1950 , my head hurts
    Can i get some help

This is what i do know, the 1750kv is a 3Y 213A 29v

And the 1950kv is a 5D 248A 25.6V, which is where about a 6S Lipo is fully charged

What does that 5D, 3Y mean ?

What is better ?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-19-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Your RPM depends on what you want out of the boat. Search for existing builds on that hull and research what people are running setup wise and what the resulting speeds and run times work out to be.
    Careful where you send him Ryan, lol.

Can i get some help

This is what i do know, the 1750kv is a 3Y 213A 29v

And the 1950kv is a 5D 248A 25.6V, which is where about a 6S Lipo is fully charged

What does that 5D, 3Y mean ?

What is better ?
    Ok, a 6s lipo under load will likely pull down to 23-24 volts so you can get the readings from that more realistically.
    If you are not experienced yet too much go with the 1750 3y.
    Y & D are in relation to how the winding in the motor are done. The numbers are how many winds of wire are in the motor.

I have a TP 4050 2050kv motor in great condition available in the for sale section, in case you are interested.
    It would run good on 5s or 6s. I ran it on 6s and clocked 107mph with it

If you are looking to run it as a twin, I have a second motor that is exactly the same which I can also sell.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Ok, a 6s lipo under load will likely pull down to 23-24 volts so you can get the readings from that more realistically.
    If you are not experienced yet too much go with the 1750 3y.
    Y & D are in relation to how the winding in the motor are done. The numbers are how many winds of wire are in the motor.
    Thanks i might go for the D wind, even tho i am not that experienced, i don't want to be purchasing lots of motors to get to 80 ish mph.
    So 1950 kv seems like the one to get no !

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    I have a TP 4050 2050kv motor in great condition available in the for sale section, in case you are interested.
    It would run good on 5s or 6s. I ran it on 6s and clocked 107mph with it

If you are looking to run it as a twin, I have a second motor that is exactly the same which I can also sell.
    Wow how good is that, yes it is a twin and from what i read on the forum here the 4060 is good at holding rpm (torque) but thanks for the offer

From what I have read a D wind will run cooler with more torque and a Y wind will spin faster with more heat. A "D" wind should be "timed" between 0 - 3.5 and a "Y" wind timing is usually factory set on the ESC at 15, but I prefer 11.25.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    From what I have read a D wind will run cooler with more torque and a Y wind will spin faster with more heat. A "D" wind should be "timed" between 0 - 3.5 and a "Y" wind timing is usually factory set on the ESC at 15, but I prefer 11.25.
    Thanks for the extra brake down i appreciate it
    What part of Australia are you ?

I am in Sydney.

So it looks like a 4060 1950kV for about a handfull of runs
    What do you think, good to go ?

Have a temperature gun handy and maybe a couple of slices of bread to toast on the motor.

Have a temperature gun handy and maybe a couple of slices of bread to toast on the motor.
    Really?
    Not that i am doubting you but other forum member is running 2050 ish kv doing 107 mph

Those kv,s on 6s are ok for saw but not oval stuff.

Really?
    Not that i am doubting you but other forum member is running 2050 ish kv doing 107 mph
    How many times did the operator achieve his 107 mph mark? Perhaps once only. The same boat can achieve a top speed one day only to fail miserably on the next run. Outright speed is not just the number of kv's a motor has. As mentioned earlier caution should be adhered to. Hull tuning, water conditions, prop size, battery capacity all need to be taken into account. Even attaining 80 mph will be a milestone, let alone exceeding the ton.

The hull will need considerable modification before trying SAW runs, look to the hull mods "fweasel" is doing to a Genesis hull for SAW running in the boat building forum section. Speed is not just a powerful high revving motor. A blowover at speed may well destroy the hull with little left to float.

Outright speed is one of my son's ambitions so I understand your thinking, however, take small steps, gradually increasing prop size to ensure the hull settings and electronics are right.

How many times did the operator achieve his 107 mph mark? Perhaps once only. The same boat can achieve a top speed one day only to fail miserably on the next run. Outright speed is not just the number of kv's a motor has. As mentioned earlier caution should be adhered to. Hull tuning, water conditions, prop size, battery capacity all need to be taken into account. Even attaining 80 mph will be a milestone, let alone exceeding the ton.

The hull will need considerable modification before trying SAW runs, look to the hull mods "fweasel" is doing to a Genesis hull for SAW running in the boat building forum section. Speed is not just a powerful high revving motor. A blowover at speed may well destroy the hull with little left to float.

Outright speed is one of my son's ambitions so I understand your thinking, however, take small steps, gradually increasing prop size to ensure the hull settings and electronics are right.
    O Yea for sure, so do you really think the D wind 4060 1950kV is no good ?
    What would you recommend for 80 ish mph ?

I am not criticising your choice of motor as I am very fond of TP Power motors, having them in two self righting hulls (4050 and a 4060) plus two 4070 TP's set aside for a 1300 mm cat project. For high speed SAW runs it is most likely a very good choice. All I am saying is tread with caution rather than jumping into the deep end. High speed running can be an expensive past time.

I am not criticising your choice of motor as I am very fond of TP Power motors, having them in two self righting hulls (4050 and a 4060) plus two 4070 TP's set aside for a 1300 mm cat project. For high speed SAW runs it is most likely a very good choice. All I am saying is tread with caution rather than jumping into the deep end. High speed running can be an expensive past time.
    Fair enough, i did a run today with the SSS 3675 i think, 1650kV 45 1.6 cnc prop with the seaking 180A esc and it's ok but not fast enough for me thats all, my rc car does 144 mph i am just use to going fast i tried to gps the speed with my Garmin forerunner 301 but no good on the inside of the lid.

Looking for best of both worlds run time and speed 80mph
    Speed and runtime are a compromise, if you want a 42" cat to do 80mph the runtime isn't going to be long at all, you will be looking at well under 2minutes max, and you equipment would thank you if you kept it to just a few seconds
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I want more then 2 min 5 to 8 would be good .
    I hear what your saying on the last part, of course i would start with the smallest prop and tune stingers accordingly i understand
    Here is my run today fpv https://youtu.be/JcfDWQYG9bg.
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-20-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Physics

Sorry but 80mph with a 42" cat for 5-8 minutes on 6s is just not realistic, unless your definition of 5-8 minutes is 1x 80mph pass, then 5-8 minutes of tooling around at 30-40mph. You need to readjust either your speed or runtime expectations.

80mph is possible, but you wont get anything like 5-8 minutes runtime at high throttle levels.

5-8 minutes is possible, but not at anything like 80mph, 50-55 would be more realistic, and then only if you meant 6s1p 5000mAh per side for 10000mAh total, if your total capacity is 5000mAh I think you would be doing very well to crack 40mph for 5 minutes.

I want more then 2 min 5 to 8 would be good .
    I hear what your saying on the last part, of course i would start with the smallest prop and tune stingers accordingly i understand
    Here is my run today fpv https://youtu.be/JcfDWQYG9bg.
    nice video. ever think of turning camera around and driving with fpv goggles? by the way, what camera are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    nice video. ever think of turning camera around and driving with fpv goggles? by the way, what camera are you using?
    Lol, just a cheaper alternative to the overpriced go pro, ThiEYE Edge

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Sorry but 80mph with a 42" cat for 5-8 minutes on 6s is just not realistic, unless your definition of 5-8 minutes is 1x 80mph pass, then 5-8 minutes of tooling around at 30-40mph. You need to readjust either your speed or runtime expectations.

80mph is possible, but you wont get anything like 5-8 minutes runtime at high throttle levels.

5-8 minutes is possible, but not at anything like 80mph, 50-55 would be more realistic, and then only if you meant 6s1p 5000mAh per side for 10000mAh total, if your total capacity is 5000mAh I think you would be doing very well to crack 40mph for 5 minutes.
    Yea, a bit of wishful thinking it wont be just flat out it will be like you said in the first paragraph
    O well it is what it is.

Ordered 2X TP 4060 1950Kv cans for a really good price for the XLX to punish
    Thanks again guys for your knowledge on the subject

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast