Thread: LIFE 6.6 V battery and Futaba FUTR603FS*!**

Default LIFE 6.6 V battery and Futaba FUTR603FS*!**

Can the Futaba R603FS take 6.6v from a LIFE Battery pack.
    Who is actually running one ?
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 04-16-2018 at 04:00 AM.

Not me, as I run stick step air radios, but U would have thought so. I have used 2s LiFePo rx packs with my equivalent 607fs and 617fs receivers, and my higher futaba rx are advertised as being suitable for 2s LiPo.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Not me, as I run stick step air radios, but U would have thought so. I have used 2s LiFePo rx packs with my equivalent 607fs and 617fs receivers, and my higher futaba rx are advertised as being suitable for 2s LiPo.
    Mmmmmmmm my specs say 6V and the LiFePo4 says 6.6, surly it will take .6 of a V more ?
    2s LIPO is more then 6.6 its 7 something v ..

Sorry I think I have confused you and I probably shouldn't have mentioned LiPo, I was just informing you that there are 2s LiPo capable RXs available, your 603FS is not LiPo capable. A fully charged 2s LiPois 8.4v. Most RC companies have at least one HV RX in their range that will handle that, it is getting pretty common on high end RX. The 60xFS range of RX are entry level in the FASST lineup though and won't take 2s LiPo, you would have to step up to a 614FS for that in the FASST surface lineup.

Having got LiPos and Hv Rx out of the way, we can move on to understanding typical RXs like your 603FS. for decades Rx have been designed for use with 4 primary (non rechargeable) AA batteries and often there is a battery box for these included with the radio. To go further you need to understand the differences between the types of cells and the differences in fully charged and nominal voltages. Primary Aa batteries (typically alkaline or nickle/zinc) have a nominal voltage of 1.5v, but a fresh one out of the pack will be between 1.6 and 1.65v for a total pack voltage of 6.6v with good quality new batteries, running primary cells often gets expensive and people wanted to use secondary (rechargeable) cells, NiCads and Nimh both have a nominal voltage of 1.2v but fully charged they are 1.4-1.5v, making a 4 cell pack quite a similar voltage when fresh of the charger at 5.6- 6v, but a half empty rechargeable pack has a lot less voltage at 4.8v and lacks grunt to drive servos, to compensate people started adding a 5th cell their rechargeable RX packs for a nominal 6v, and fully charged it can be up to 7.5v, folk have been using 5cell RX packs with regular Rxs for decades. LiFePo has a nominal voltage of 3.3v and a maximum charge voltage of 3.6v so a 2s pack offers the best nominal voltage at 6.6v, whilst without going over the fully charged voltage of the well proven 5 cell nickel packs.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

So i am safe to run a LiFePo 6.6 for my rx and servo then, SWEET

The short answer is yes you can run your Futaba 603 using a LiFe 6.6v battery pack. However, I would caution you to make sure your servo/s can handle the voltage. The receiver simply passes the voltage from the RX battery to your servo. In SOME cases the servos don’t like the extra voltage and shortens their life. This can be managed by adding a voltage regulator to the system.

Later,
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    The short answer is yes you can run your Futaba 603 using a LiFe 6.6v battery pack. However, I would caution you to make sure your servo/s can handle the voltage. The receiver simply passes the voltage from the RX battery to your servo. In SOME cases the servos don’t like the extra voltage and shortens their life. This can be managed by adding a voltage regulator to the system.

Later,
    Ball
    Dually noted, checked servo specs and good to 6.6 V

Update on the Using LIFE 6.6v battery
    Awesome works a treat, i just disconnected the power wire from the ESC to the rx

Been doing it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Been doing it for years.
    awesome, just need a 1 Input, 2 Motor Opto Board now

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    awesome, just need a 1 Input, 2 Motor Opto Board now
    Sent you a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Sent you a PM...

Your a legend

Life Packs are also great in your TX.. they just hardy ever need a charge up after a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    Life Packs are also great in your TX.. they just hardy ever need a charge up after a couple of months.
    Good to know, I use a 3S LIPO in my Futaba 3PMX $10 from china 2200mah more then enough