Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 54" Scarab Hull - Trip or Quad Outboards

Default 54" Scarab Hull - Trip or Quad Outboards

Hey Guys, Great site. Being my first post, figured id make it a big one.
    Well here is why im here. I purchased a discontinued 54" Dumas Scarab hull off ebay for $25 about 2 years ago and Its been sitting around ever since.
    I was going to put a gas motor in it and run it like most people do but i wanted to do something different. For a long time i thought it would be awesome to make it a scale looking center console fishing boat.
    Recently i started doing some research on outboards and came across the store here. After much debate and printing out pictures to scale and measuring real outboards i bit the bullet and purchased the last 3 ProBoat Outboards from Offshore Electrics. Once they come in, im going to mock them up and see what they look like. If i can make the spacing and turning work for 4 motors ill be purchacing a 4 motor to hang off the back but ill start with 3 for now.
    My Plan is to turn my boat into an 1/8th scale center console fishing boat.
    At an 1/8th scale, the boat would be modeled after a 36' boat with a 10' beam.
    So i started looking and found that a 36' Donzi matches this hull fairly close.
    I may even add a bracket off the back that flows with the rest of the boat to extend it to model a 39' Donzi.
    This is what im going for.

This is going to be my winter project now that fishing season is over.
    Its going to take some time so bear with me. Ill update with pictures as soon as i make more progress. Need to finish up my 1/4 Scale Giles 202.

Here are some pictures.

Marking the lines for the cut.

Made the cut. No going back now.

Here is another Go-By picture of what i want it to look like.

I went with the ProBoat Outboard because i really like the way the top of the motor looked, plus it is very close to being an 1/8th scale of a 300hp Merc.
    I know the lower unit doesnt look very scale but when its sitting in the water you wont see it.

Should be a cool build, take a look at my scale version of my 30 foot Scarab Sport.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=18711

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=19457

The last video, its a little faster now with the new anodized props pictured in my avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCilsao6d8k

Now with brushless motors and just the right props its hitting 40+ MPH and literally jumps out of the water on hole shot.

Those Pro Boat outboards are pretty big. I considered them on my new 54" Fountain build. You will be squeezing 3 on that hull.

this is going to be a good looking build! so many outboard builds going on right now. is it the new trend in the world of rc boating? lol

Hey Chris, i looked through your posts on your boat. It helped get me motivated even more to get working on my boat. Your boat looks sweet. I have seen your post over on The Hull Truth. I want to buy a set of your lights one of these days.

My hull is 14" wide. It should hold 3 pretty easy. 4 is going to be a tight fit but would look sick if i can get it to work. The motors are 3" wide i believe. Im eager to get it started but need to get this airplane done and off my bench first.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayinHookySPI View Post
    Hey Chris, i looked through your posts on your boat. It helped get me motivated even more to get working on my boat. Your boat looks sweet. I have seen your post over on The Hull Truth. I want to buy a set of your lights one of these days.

My hull is 14" wide. It should hold 3 pretty easy. 4 is going to be a tight fit but would look sick if i can get it to work. The motors are 3" wide i believe. Im eager to get it started but need to get this airplane done and off my bench first.
    Yeah at 14" you should be able to fit 3 no problem. Those outboards are 3" wide so with three you will have 9" or more of motor and you will need a certain amount of space between them so they can turn. I think 3 will be a super cool build, I'll be watching.

The biggest problem is getting the center of gravity right. With three motors you will need three batteries and they will all need to be way up front. Maybe you can incorporate bow seating like in the Donzi to conceal the batteries.

Default three motors!

I think this is going to be another one of those great threads!

Good find on the hull, these are getting harder to find. It is a big boat, but those proboat outboards will put out some power. i think three is going to be fine. Adding a forth is going to have diminishing returns as you continue to increase weight from motor's and batteries as you add each motor. Stick with the three and then see what motors you are putting on them. It all depends if you want to run 30mph in rough water, 40 mph on calmer water or try faster????

this is going to look great.

Sending a PM on a side question.

Brian

Cool another build to get some ideas from. Can't wait to get ours started later on this winter. What motors are you planning to use on the outboards? That's still one of the details I'm trying to figure out.

Mark

I have no idea what motors im going to run in the outboards. I know very very little about electric setups. Just know i need a motor, ESC and Batteries but dont know what sizes i need.
    I dont really care for all out speed since its a scale boat. 30-40mph would be sweet.
    I care more for a good run time at half throttle.
    I guess i need to look into what ESCs and Batteries im going to use so i can make room for them under the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by koontek View Post
    this is going to be a good looking build! so many outboard builds going on right now. is it the new trend in the world of rc boating? lol
    I think that the scale-ness of the Proboat outboard is what did it, they will make a good Merc 300x!

Its Outboard mania....................love it!

Quote Originally Posted by PlayinHookySPI View Post
    I have no idea what motors im going to run in the outboards. I know very very little about electric setups. Just know i need a motor, ESC and Batteries but dont know what sizes i need.
    I dont really care for all out speed since its a scale boat. 30-40mph would be sweet.
    I care more for a good run time at half throttle.
    I guess i need to look into what ESCs and Batteries im going to use so i can make room for them under the deck.
    LOL....almost my exact words at the beginning of my outboard build. Then I got bored of the scale speed and went brushless.

I plan on going brushless but i dont know what motors will fit, what ESC to buy to go with the motor and what size battery i need that will work well with the setup. Oh and not cost too much.
    Scale Speed is all controled by your finger...lol.
    I would like for half throttle to be a scale speed and i want that WOW factor when i crack her wide open...lol.

A 3650 motor seems to be a winner in those outboards.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...i-540S&cat=116

These Turnigy 3650's are great motors, especially for the money. Good torque and vented endbells.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6529

I have ran this 3656 in a few boats..........lots of power from it. At 56mm you could bend the wires down just a bit to fit in the cowl. Great 4s motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6526

I like the price of the HobbyKing motors. At least to get started with. What kind or amp ESC do i need for these motors and what would be a good battery to run with them? Want something with a decent run time. Im new to all this electric stuff and know nothing about it.
    Thanks guys.

Its been a slow process building this boat. I have built a bracket and mounted the 3 motors to it and attached to the boat. Also have a deck ready to be glassed in, just havnt had enough time in the past few months to do so since fishing season started. Ill post pictures of what i have done as soon as i can get them from my office.
    Need some Wiring and Battery help.
    What i have so far is 3 Turnigy marine 60A ESCs and 3 Turnigy B36-56-06 1800kv motors mounted in the outboards. The batteries will be mounted way up front and the ESCs somewhere in the middle. I need to extend the wiring to connect everything together. What kind and gauge wire should i use to connect everything?
    Also what size batteries should i use to run each motor? I was thinking about a 4s in the 3000-4000mAh size but i dont know what C rating to get?
    I need to make sure things done get to hot under the hatch.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Capt Jeff

Thumbs up

That is pretty sweet!!!
    The title for this build is very similar to mine.
    If you are planning on running one batt per esc some 4000mah 30c batts would do great. But I suggest getting some 5000mah batts for longer run times.
    I would suggest putting the batts really far forward so you can get a good cog with all that weight off the back of the boat.
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

Thats so cool!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I agree, very cool man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

this thing will purr! but the COG will be wayyyy back with those motors hanging off

Absolutley awesome dude, Can't wait to see it with the hull painted and Donzi decals!

What a great build, can't wait to see it running!!!
    Do or do not, there is no try!!!!!
    Aeromarine Titan 29 H&M Hawaii Kai III Proboat Stiletto ML Boatworks PS295 (No.8)

This is inspirational to say the least!! Can't wait to see this come together.
    Great stuff.

very cool. I would put some triangle type brackets inside and on the transom to help keep the transom from flexing.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Laying up the Deck. 1/8" Hobby Ply and 2 layers of Glass on each side.

Uncovered

Ready to trim.

Fits like a glove.

Starting the Console.

Done for now.

Starting the elevated removeable under deck platform.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast