Thread: warped plywood fixing

Default warped plywood fixing

Hi Everyone,
    Long time since I've been here.
    I bought a ML Boatworks frame kit for a 1/8 hydro 8 years ago and long story short I now want to build it.
    Trouble is after looking at what I have, I found that the long bulkheads that run the length of the boat have got a bit of a warp/twist to them.
    It's not extreme and I have tried moistening the cupped side and the ironing the convex side with an iron.
    Most of the warp is gone but there is still abit of a cup/twist.
    It doesn't take much effort at all to hold the bulkheads straight but I'm afraid that any kind of twist will be detrimental.
    Since I will be using angle blocks etc to hold the assembly square while the epoxy sets will that be enough to keep it square until the skins are on or am I wasting my time.

Let me add that the warping was all my fault not ML Boatworks.

Also, if I were to purchase more frame kits or plywood stock for future builds how do I store them.

Thanks for any advice,

Barry
    An Apple a day keeps the PC away

Although my GRX 310 didn't sit as long and isn't as complex, I did have to keep the sponsons clamped very well through the build so far and most, if not all warping is gone.

Mine was stored open in a very dry apartment for a couple years, my bad.

I would store them with a bit of weight on them to keep them flat as long as there is nothing stuck in between layers, maybe bag it up???
    Nortavlag Bulc

Sounds like you know what you are doing. It's all about moisture control. I used to lightly mist the concave side to get it to sit flat for laser cutting. It's temporary, but it works great.

As long as you get the frame straight with the blocks/jig and glue it in place, you should be good, as long as there isn't a ton of residual stress. Seal it up, and you are good.

I've tried numerous ways of storing thin plywood. It's not easy to keep the moisture on both sides equivalent. Some say standing on their side is best, but I've reverted to laying them flat with a heavy marble slab holding them down. Eventually over time, the moisture is equal. If you pull them out and they warp right away, then you haven't waited enough time.

Thanks guys, feeling better about this now. It would have been a shame to throw it out.
    I'll set up a better storage area for materials and future projects.

Barry
    An Apple a day keeps the PC away

Quote Originally Posted by waterotter View Post
    I'll set up a better storage area for materials and future projects.

Barry
    Me 2.
    Nortavlag Bulc