Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ML GSX338 V2 P Sport Hydro 1st Build

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Awesome build, thanks for sharing.

In the bold, I don't completely understand. I know the no trip piece but I'm confused where you add lots of epoxy to the sponson sheer plate???
    Where the top edge of the no trip side sheeting meets the sheer. I want to soak as much epoxy in this seam as possible. Once this dries, much of the no trip top edge sheeting gets ground away shaping the rounded section. The attached photo shows this joint well.
    1111.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212
    2022 NAMBA Nationals FE High Points Champion
    Owner www.mojoracingproducts.comTeam Driver: Black Pearl Hydroplanes

Inner sponson bottom skin installation:
    The long narrow stips are mounted to the frames. I pre bent these by hand. No heat was required, just marked area with pencil and tweaked the wood. I applied epoxy to the stringers and frames under these skins. I used a screw to retain the front and a couple of clamps held the rest.
    33870.jpg33871.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Shingling the sponsons:

There are 3 flat pieces that cover the bottom of the sponsons. For the rear ride pad, I varied from the kit parts with a carbon fiber piece. Same dimensions as the supplied wood part. Install the rear ride pad 1st. The front of the pad butts up to the notch or "Step". The 2nd photo shows the step. The rear will hang over the back of the rear sponson bulkhead about 1/8th of an inch. Glue with epoxy. Make sure this ride pad fits perfectly flat to the frames!
    33872.jpg33877.jpg33874.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

The center or 2nd "shingle goes on next. This part is the same dimension as rears. I am using the kits plywood piece for this. Apply the same as the rear. Butt the front edge up to the notch. The rear will hang over the pad behind it. This gives the shingled roof look. The front piece is a bit long. I fitted the part to the sponson and marked it to the tip of the sponson sheer. I cut off some of the excess material before I installed it. Use plenty of epoxy around the tip. I put a screw in the tip to hold this end down tightly to the sponson sheer plate. This are will be ground and shaped after the epoxy dries.

33875.jpg33876.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Quote Originally Posted by mojoracer View Post
    Where the top edge of the no trip side sheeting meets the sheer. I want to soak as much epoxy in this seam as possible. Once this dries, much of the no trip top edge sheeting gets ground away shaping the rounded section. The attached photo shows this joint well.
    1111.jpg
    Gotcha! Thanks. I added extra wood on the inside and sanded it down to the profile on my GRX310. I'm going to add a few piece of FG cloth etc.. like you have shown.

Awesome Bob. I can now run over more of your boats with confidence yours will survive, mine, well, time will tell....lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

......oops
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Gotcha! Thanks. I added extra wood on the inside and sanded it down to the profile on my GRX310. I'm going to add a few piece of FG cloth etc.. like you have shown.

Awesome Bob. I can now run over more of your boats with confidence yours will survive, mine, well, time will tell....lol...
    My Q sport you ran over at 70MPH survived pretty well due to the cloth on the joints and energy absorbing foam packed inside the frames.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Yeah, I know

I've only ran that boat twice since then I think. Looking forward to running it soon.

I was sure I cut it in half but you Mc.Giver'ed it back for the next heat when I think I might have cooked a rotor.

Anyway, just shows how well you build a boat! ...and how bad I drive at 70mph. Maybe Q isn't my bag, lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Looks good, but will it survive the Wednesday night grind line?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Looks good, but will it survive the Wednesday night grind line?
    Hence the high level of internal reinforcement!
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Finishing up the sponson bottoms:
    Used the GP sanding block with some fresh 80 grit self adhesive sand paper. Ground the inside edge of the ride pads and bottom sheeting flush. I also finish sanded the back of the sponsons to clean up some sloppy epoxy. Use a scrap piece of wood the right width to get into this tight spot. Stick on some sand paper and you have a nice way to sand in these tight spots. Sand the outer edge of the bottom sheeting flush to the no trip sides. Fresh 80 grit made quick work on this step. Finally, shape the front of the sponson tips bottom side.
    DSCN0429.jpgDSCN0431.jpgDSCN0430.jpgDSCN0432.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

I applied cloth strips to all the bottom sheeting to stringer and bulkhead joints. After the strips were in place I put brushed another coat of West System over them. To make sure the top of the sponson side sheeting stays put, I reinforced the inside of the joint. Using a bent epoxy brush, coat with epoxy. I then packed some strips of fiberglass cloth up into this tight spot.

DSCN0433.jpgDSCN0434.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Cowlings are boxed up, and ship out today Bob. Build sure is looking good! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Installed some 1/4" plywood that the servo and motor mounts will sit on. I put some more cloth tabs on the center section joints. I also added some balsa and 1/4" sticks to stiffen the bottom pan where the batteries will mount. The balsa was capped with 1/64th plywood to level things out. These items will tie into the stringers and make the bottom pan stiffer. I also scored a NEU 1521 motor on the forum today to power this boat.

70.jpg73.jpg72.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Deck it out:
    Installed the top deck. Pretty easy process. Coat your top edges with epoxy and place clamps and some weights. I used a couple of 6S 6000mAh bricks and a big TP Power motor! The part laid down quite nicely.74.jpg75.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Hardware backers:
    I hate blind nuts! I do travel races from time to time, and need to remove hardware for shipping. I have found blind nuts always strip out or fall off eventually! Working with washers and nuts in the tight confines of boats is a pain too. For this build I am using 1/8' aluminum plate material. These pieces will be drilled with a #29 drill and tapped with #6x32 threads. The back side of the plates have been scuffed up with 36 grit sander. This is to help the epoxy stick. Once the plates are ready to install, I cover the back side with epoxy. Coat your bolts with some grease and tighten the plate to the hull while the glue dries.
    001.jpg0002.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Hardware backers:
    I hate blind nuts! I do travel races from time to time, and need to remove hardware for shipping. I have found blind nuts always strip out or fall off eventually! Working with washers and nuts in the tight confines of boats is a pain too. For this build I am using 1/8' aluminum plate material. These pieces will be drilled with a #29 drill and tapped with #6x32 threads. The back side of the plates have been scuffed up with 36 grit sander. This is to help the epoxy stick. Once the plates are ready to install, I cover the back side with epoxy. Coat your bolts with some grease and tighten the plate to the hull while the glue dries.
    001.jpg0002.jpg
    The other nice thing about backing plates and starting out with 6- 32 screws is:
    If a 6-32 strips out the hole left in the plate is the exact size for a 8-32 tap.
    The same is for a 8-32 striped hole it is now the correct size for a 10-32 tap

Here is a tool that carry in my tool box.
    It is called an Electrician's Tap (because these are the only screw sizes that they use). It is a stepped tap 6-32 - 8-32 - 10-32

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Assembly of the the 3 lumps:

Get your 3/8" wood dowel rod and cut 2 pieces 9.75" long. This will leave a bit hanging out of each side and can be trimmed off later. Before installing the rods, I used the sanding block to smooth out the sponson to center section interfaces. Make sure both the center and sponson side surfaces are nice and smooth so you get a tight fit. Now your ready to install the dowels.
    I slid these into position, just lightly offset. I brushed on some epoxy on the areas that will slide through the holes in the components. Rotate and center your dowel rods into position.
    Before gluing I test fit each sponson making sure everything lined up flush. Then I coated the center section sides with a heavy coat of epoxy. Once coated you can slide the sponsons onto the dowels. I used some more servo screws to fasten everything down tight! Go around all the joints and brush with epoxy. I had to use a bar clamp as shown to pull the rear of the LH sponson in tight on the bottom seam. Now it's looking like a boat!
    76.jpg77.jpg78.jpg79.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

I use 1/4" thick material...

I'm just nuts that way...

I drill and tap after gluing without the top skin on in case it screws up, lol... Might drill one tonight...

Hardware backers:
    001.jpg0002.jpg
    Nortavlag Bulc

Did some metal work at lunch time. Backers drilled and tapped, and a custom skid fin bracket fabed and welded. Drilled some holes in the hull and mounted these backing plates with epoxy. I use made in USA Speedmaster hardware on all my boats! Great products from some nice people in Florida. I'm using a .21 flat bottomed hydro strut and a 21 rudder. For the turn fin I will be using a Mojo Racing Products 40 size SS fin.
    80.jpg81.jpg82.jpg83.jpg84.jpg
    Last edited by mojoracer; 04-13-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Getting ready for the deck!
    Before installing the top deck, pack the inside cavities of the sponsons with some flotation. I used an old Styrofoam ceiling tile. 1 tile will do many boats! Pack it in tight. It also helps absorb energy in collisions!
    85.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Installing the sponson decks:
    Make sure all of your top frames are free of any epoxy lumps from the build process. I sanded all the top deck contact areas before decking. I test fitted each deck and drilled my screw holes before gluing. This way every thing will be lined up before epoxy coating!
    Make sure to coat the inside deck surface with a good coat of epoxy. Also apply a liberal coat of epoxy to the frames the deck sits on. Once epoxy is applied, I placed the decks on and ran the screws down. Everything pulled down nicely. I only had to use 2 clamps at the rear of the decks to close the gap at the rear outer edges.
    I flipped the boat over and put some fiberglass cloth tabs on the portion where the deck meets the sponson heals or transoms. This is the curved area at the back of the decks. Not i put some heavy epoxy coat in the joint where the deck meets the sponson sheers. This area will be ground down quite a bit to make the finished bull nose shape! Having the hull upside down held the epoxy in the joint nicely! Let it dry over night!
    86.jpg93.jpg94.jpg87.jpg92.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Trimming the sponson decks:
    You now need to trim off the excess plywood from the sponson decking. I found a great Dremel tool for this. It's a carbide coated cut off wheel and it is quite an awesome tool to have. This thing cuts through plywood and fiberglass like butter! I picked this up at my favorite local hobby shop, Prop Shop Hobbies for $19. Well worth it!
    I trimmed the outer perimeter with the carbide wheel, leaving about 1/16th of a inch to grind off with the sanding block. The rear curves needed to be trimmed back as well. I used a pencil to mark this curve, guiding it with the edge of my finger. Once everything is trimmed, I shaped the bull nose curve with the sanding block. Fresh 80 grit makes quick work of this process! I also ground the rear of the no trip sponson side flush with the sponson heel. Hand sand to finish your curve around the entire outer edge.
    96.jpg97.jpg99.jpg100.jpg98.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Sealing the plywood:
    I sanded and cleaned up the entire hull in preparation for this step. I used an electric leaf blower to blast all the dust out of the interior and exterior. I use Z-Poxy finishing resin for this step instead of West System. This stuf brushes out much better, and cost a lot less. I like using the higher density foam brushes to apply this. Foam brushes work well, and don't leave a bunch of bristles behind! I coated the hull inside and out and hung up to dry.
    101.jpg102.jpg104.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Well, you made quick work of that! Did the cowlings and dowels arrive yet?
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Well, you made quick work of that! Did the cowlings and dowels arrive yet?
    Yes! Unfortunately sent to office, and I'm not there today. I will get it tomorrow
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Lay out time:
    The motor I bought arrived today. Time to lay the components in and check CG. Had to package the 4S 4000 lipos sideways. Looks like the CG will be at the center of the fin. This generally works on all the sport hydros I have run over the years.
    105.jpg106.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Finishing the hull. I used some stinky Bondo to fill all the imperfection and screw holes in. After that I sanded the hull with 220 grit sand paper. I applied a coat of of automotive catalyzed primer. Now the external wood is sealed up.
    I also installed the ledges for the rear hatch to sit on. Motor mounts have been started and the boat will be rigged out tomorrow! Getting closer....
    107.jpg108.jpg109.jpg110.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

The rest of the kit:
    The package arrived with the cowling, nose blocks and dowels.
    111.jpg112.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Installing the front nose pieces:
    Trim the 1/4 round and bull nose parts to the correct length. I left them a 1/6th long and sanded to fit. The bull nose is taller than the plate it mounts to. I cut about 1/8th of an inch off the bottom and re-shaped the curve a bit.
    Attach using epoxy. I chose to use screws run into the center stringers. I also used plenty of resin on the inside joints so the hell will be sealed. Fiberglass cloth strips were also added inside. This was a step that should be done before the sponsons go on. I did it this way due to the later arrival of the rounded parts. This concludes the major wood working!
    113.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast