Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ML GSX338 V2 P Sport Hydro 1st Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ML GSX338 V2 P Sport Hydro 1st Build

I received a couple of ML kits yesterday. This includes a new size for p sport the 33.8" GSX 338. I knocked all the plywood parts free from their sheets last night. Here is what you get as far as laser plywood, see photos. ML is sending the cowling and hardwood parts to me later this week.
    338_01.jpg338_02.jpg338_03.jpg
    Last edited by mojoracer; 04-03-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212
    2022 NAMBA Nationals FE High Points Champion
    Owner www.mojoracingproducts.comTeam Driver: Black Pearl Hydroplanes

I started by laminating the sponson sheers and sponson transoms together. There are 2 sheers labeled L and 2 labeled R. These are stacked on top of each other, 2 Ls and 2 Rs.
    The double sponson sheers on the GSX boats allow you to round the edges of the sponsons. This is like moderen Unlimited and GP full scale hydroplanes do. The full size racers found this helps reduce blow overs. Also the front sponson tips are rounded and back cut (looking from plan view). Same deal here , helps reduce blow overs and getting stuck on buoys too! Nice job by Mike to incorporate these features in the RC models!

The sponson transoms have labels Part CFL and CBL the B (back) goes on top of the F part. The left front has cut outs to reduce weight, while both rights are solid for turn fin mounting. I used a thin coat of West System 105 resin to bond these parts together.

338_04.jpg338_05.jpg338_08.jpg
    Last edited by mojoracer; 04-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Bob is this your first wood build?

Have fun with it.
    You will never ever again buy a glass hydro.

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 04-03-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Bob is this your wood build?

Have fun with it.

Larry
    5th ML wood hydro build Larry.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Bob is this your first wood build?

Have fun with it.

Larry
    is wood better than glass?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    is wood better than glass?
    If build right, with sharp edges, YES.
    Also the glass hull makers can not keep up with the changes in hull design.

You can also make your own changes to try something out, or incorporate a change that someone else has done that works.

Larry

Thank you so much for doing this Bob. With my limited time building the new V2 kits is just not in the cards right now. You are helping out many many people, and I thank you!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

I gathered up the sponson side rails and all the bulkhead parts. Use a flat surface to build these components. I put some freezer paper that has a waxed surface on the board so the glue will not stick to the board.
    I cleaned up any burs on the parts so they will sit flat. The sponson transoms are the thick laminated parts CL and CR. I used a sanding block to smooth out the edges and clean up the epoxy joint. The Great Planes sanding block and adhesive sand paper roll is very useful when building a wood boat! You will also need some CA glue and a small square for this step.
    338_12.jpg338_13.jpg338_14.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Before you install the ride pad longitudinal supports (parts 1, 2 and 3 L&R) it is time to use some of the supplied 3/16" sticks. I put a small piece on bulkhead AR to support the end of 1R. This will give a larger glue joint surface for 1R to AR joint. Set it the plywood thickness below the top edge.

I also decided to put the deck support square stick along the sponson side while these sub assemblies were attached to the board. The top of this stick runs along the dotted line. Cut the proper angle on the rear to mate up to bulkhead A. There is a big curve in this stick so I tacked it with CA in stages working from rear to front. A long angle needs to be made on the front of the stick where it rests on the sponson sheer top surface. I rough cut it with a saw, then sanaded the final fit.

338_19.jpg338_20.jpg338_21.jpg
    Last edited by mojoracer; 04-04-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Before installing longitudinal parts 1, 2 and 3, another 3/16th stick can be installed. The sick goes in the square notch below slot 1R on the bulkhead. The front edge get the long shallow angle at attach to the bottom of the sponson sheer as shown. Once this stick is installed, you can fit part #1 in the next step..
    338_22.jpg338_23.jpg338_24.jpg338_25.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Now you can install parts 1R and 1L. They fit into the slots nicely. Put some glue on top of bulkhead B and the stick on bulkhead A. Glue part#1 to the rest of the bulkhead slots, and the bottom of the sponson sheer up front. I also put some glue on the stick below #1 to secure it.

Longitudinal parts #2 and #3 can now be installed. Be sure to make the back edge is flush with the rear of bulkhead C.

The other top deck support sticks have also been installed. I put a coat of West System on most of the joints. Once this dries, the parts will be removed from the build board.
    338_26.jpg338_27.jpg338_28.jpg338_29.jpg338_30.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Next step is to install all the bulkheads A through F left and right. The parts are well marked, so match them up. The bulkheads go on with the marking tag up and facing the rear of the boat. I use a small amount of CA glue on the tabs and flush mating surface. place the part and use the square to keep it straight while the CA glue sets up.
    Once all the bulkheads are in place you can place the sponson sheers L and R on their respective assemblies. Test fit the sheers before gluing them on. I had to clean up one of the slots for a good fit on the RH side. Make sure to center the front tip of the sheer to the sponson side rail (see last photo).
    338_15.jpg338_16.jpg338_17.jpg338_18.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Bob, Be sure that when you add the outside non trip, that your frames are clamped down, or they WILL twist. I have had so many people have issues when they don't keep the sponson clamped while adding the lower sheeting. I personally like to frame the sponson, then glue it to the center section, then sheet it...That way it cannot twist!

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

[QUOTE=cybercrxt;713838]Bob, Be sure that when you add the outside non trip, that your frames are clamped down, or they WILL twist. I have had so many people have issues when they don't keep the sponson clamped while adding the lower sheeting. I personally like to frame the sponson, then glue it to the center section, then sheet it...That way it cannot twist!

Noted, thanks for the tip.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Nice build thread Bob. Mike is right. Some of my pieces were a bit warped in another kit, but keeping it clamped all through the build makes all the difference. I also prebend those non trip pieces, makes it easy to glue up with few clamps.

Keep up the great thread Bob, I might get one of these some day, fall maybe.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yeah, the non trip panels, because they have to be bent, will naturally try to pull the framing out of shape so the non trip can lay back flat..It is annoying, lol

OK, I removed the sponson assemblies from the build board. I decided to put the rear bottom pieces on the sponsons. I used a sanding block to grind the right angle on bulkhead A lower edge. I also had to bevel the rear of the flat bottom piece of plywood. Parts fit well!

Using the sanding block with 80 grit, I shaped the top and bottom edges of the sponson sheers to rounded shape. Kind of follow the edges of the bulkhead until the block is flush with the top and sides. You will be taking off quite a bit of meat from the outer edges of the sheers.

I then epoxied all the joints of these sponson framing parts with West System. I also use small fiberglass tabs cut from fine cloth. This adds a lot of durability to a wood race boat. More about this later. Taking Mikes advice, I will not install the sheeting untin I mount these frames to the center hull section.
    31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg30.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Working on the center section today. Laminated the 2 transom part #1 together as well as bulkhead 4, FE rails L&R and the 3 layer outer trusses.

To align the outer trusses for lamination, I cut 6 small pieces of 1/4" brass tubing. Push these into the 3 1/4" holes on each truss to get perfect alignment!

Before fastening the bottom "pan" to your flat building surface make sure you knock out all of the slots. I stuck mine down and found I missed 3 of them. I picked them out with an exact o blade.

Do a trial fit of all the bulkheads and parts. Clean up all the slots/tab holes!

39.jpg38.jpg41.jpg40.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Building the tub:

I pre laminated all the center section parts that required it. I fastened the floor pan to the build board with a couple of screws as shown. The longitudinal "FE" rail bottoms are coated with epoxy and put into place. I drilled and fastened the rails in with 4 servo screws to help keep the floor flat on the build surface. Bulkhead frames 1 through 4 were fitted to the side trusses. Once everything was slid together I coated all bottom surfaces and all bulkhead to truss slots with epoxy. I then slid this whole lump onto the rails and bottom pan. Make sure all the bottom tabs lign up with the slots and press down. Everything fit nicely and minimal screws were used to hold the framing down. At this time you and install the front #5 bulkhead.

Once everything was set, I checked to make sure the sides and bulkheads were square. These ML kits really just fall into place. Parts fit great and no guessing yet!
    46.jpg47.jpg48.jpg49.jpg50.jpg
    Last edited by mojoracer; 04-08-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Default Hull to Sponson Test fit

Here is a quick look at the hull and sponsons assembled! I checked the length, just a shade under the P class rule of 34"! Perfect...

60.jpg61.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Bob

We can't see the pictures in post #22

Larry

Preparing to build the center hull section. Laminated the L and R inner/outer side rails together, as well as bulkhead 4A &4B and FE Rail inner and outer LH and RH parts. I also did the deck supports LH and RH at this time. Canadian beer bottles make perfect weights! I used some small pieces of 3/8" dowel rod to align the outer side rails. I put soap on them so they would not get stuck with the resin. Will start assembling the center section tomorrow! Busy unpacking 300lbs of lipos tonight!
    35.jpg 36.jpg37.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Great!
    I hope someday to start such a construction.

No trip time! Using a method I read about on this forum, I pre-bent the no-trip side sheeting. Just heat the plywood area you want to curve, and apply pressure. It does not have to be perfect, just close.

I attached both sponson sub assemblies to a flat build board. ML Mike warned me to not sheet the sponsons in the free state as they can twist!

I hate clamping this kind of stuff! I have been using Allen headed servo screws on my wood hydro builds. Since I paint my boats, I just fill the screw holes in with epoxy or Bondo when removed. 1st you install on screw and align up the part. Check inside and look for a nice tight fit to the frames. I only use enough screws to make decent contact with the internal structure. After you are satisfied with the fit, remove the screws. Apply epoxy on all the framing contact points and run the screws down. Do not over tighten of you will distort the sheeting! I use a small cordless driver with a long 1/4" socket extension and a 1/4" drive allen socket.

After all the screw are tightened, brush epoxy on all the joints. I filled the joint from the no trip to sponson sheer plate with plenty of epoxy! This are has the most stress and needs to be shaped and blended in after the glue dries!

42.jpg43.jpg44.jpg45.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Quote Originally Posted by mojoracer View Post
    No trip time! Using a method I read about on this forum, I pre-bent the no-trip side sheeting. Just heat the plywood area you want to curve, and apply pressure. It does not have to be perfect, just close.

I attached both sponson sub assemblies to a flat build board. ML Mike warned me to not sheet the sponsons in the free state as they can twist!

I hate clamping this kind of stuff! I have been using Allen headed servo screws on my wood hydro builds. Since I paint my boats, I just fill the screw holes in with epoxy or Bondo when removed. 1st you install on screw and align up the part. Check inside and look for a nice tight fit to the frames. I only use enough screws to make decent contact with the internal structure. After you are satisfied with the fit, remove the screws. Apply epoxy on all the framing contact points and run the screws down. Do not over tighten of you will distort the sheeting! I use a small cordless driver with a long 1/4" socket extension and a 1/4" drive allen socket.

After all the screw are tightened, brush epoxy on all the joints. I filled the joint from the no trip to sponson sheer plate with plenty of epoxy! This are has the most stress and needs to be shaped and blended in after the glue dries!

]
    Awesome build, thanks for sharing.

In the bold, I don't completely understand. I know the no trip piece but I'm confused where you add lots of epoxy to the sponson sheer plate???
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Awesome build, thanks for sharing.

In the bold, I don't completely understand. I know the no trip piece but I'm confused where you add lots of epoxy to the sponson sheer plate???
    Where the top edge of the no trip side sheeting meets the sheer. I want to soak as much epoxy in this seam as possible. Once this dries, much of the no trip top edge sheeting gets ground away shaping the rounded section. The attached photo shows this joint well.
    1111.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Quote Originally Posted by mojoracer View Post
    Where the top edge of the no trip side sheeting meets the sheer. I want to soak as much epoxy in this seam as possible. Once this dries, much of the no trip top edge sheeting gets ground away shaping the rounded section. The attached photo shows this joint well.
    1111.jpg
    Gotcha! Thanks. I added extra wood on the inside and sanded it down to the profile on my GRX310. I'm going to add a few piece of FG cloth etc.. like you have shown.

Awesome Bob. I can now run over more of your boats with confidence yours will survive, mine, well, time will tell....lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

......oops
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Gotcha! Thanks. I added extra wood on the inside and sanded it down to the profile on my GRX310. I'm going to add a few piece of FG cloth etc.. like you have shown.

Awesome Bob. I can now run over more of your boats with confidence yours will survive, mine, well, time will tell....lol...
    My Q sport you ran over at 70MPH survived pretty well due to the cloth on the joints and energy absorbing foam packed inside the frames.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast