Thread: Battery wire length

Default Battery wire length

I'm building a Vortex 34 and I need about two inch longer battery wires for placement. Is it better to make the esc wires longer or the battery wires longer?
    thanks,
    Beaux

ESC... Because batteries can bite! Also, they don’t need the heat... Good luck on your build! I hope we can see some pics of it coming together

Some guys may frown upon this, but I would make an extension between the two with bullet connectors on either side. I wouldn’t try to solder more wire to the battery or esc.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Adding connectors is really putting in a bunch more resistance. If you are running HV and lower current, then no problem. But if you are running over 180A, you might want to do the math on that first. Just one guy’s opinion...

Thanks guys, and yes pictures are on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Adding connectors is really putting in a bunch more resistance. If you are running HV and lower current, then no problem. But if you are running over 180A, you might want to do the math on that first. Just one guy’s opinion...
    Yeah I try never to do it, but ya know, I’d rather a connector than just soldering wire together. I suppose we don’t know his setup so more info would help, tho on a vortex 34, how many amps is he really gonna pull. I mean, it’s not exactly a hull that requires a large high power system as far as I know.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Mine pulled an average of over 200 amps to be competitive....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Mine pulled an average of over 200 amps to be competitive....

Oh wow... ok yeah that’s a fair amount.
    Any advice for the op? You’re more knowledgeable than I am sir

The OP has already been given good advice.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Sorry about the lack of info, TP 4070 2200kv, Swordfish 240 hv on 4sx2. While I've got you guys on the line what do you think about leaving the antenae internal under the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    While I've got you guys on the line what do you think about leaving the antenae internal under the hatch.
    Does your boat have any carbon fiber in it? If so, have the antenna stick out of the hull.

How about using a thicker wire for extension like one size larger than present wire of esc to use. Replies on this are welcome!

As others have said, lengthen can lead to increased battery resistance, so try to keep the length as low as possible. It is also better to use a plug connection than welding. There is a certain risk of welding, and using a plug connection, you can use it later in other places.