Thread: Strut for ML Boatworks GSX380

Default Strut for ML Boatworks GSX380

Hi guys,

I need help in locating the correct strut that Mike from ML has me hunting. I'm building a GSX380 and Mike says I need to run a 1/4 flex with 3/16 propshaft. So I need the sport 20 Hydro strut that will allow a 5/16 stuffing tube (no teflon) and then take the 3/16 propshaft. I've emailed rossisales.com but no reply as yet. I find the listings there too hard to decipher. Can anyone help?

Cheers!
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

1/4 inch on the 380 is big. anyway have you tried Tony from Hobby Supplies Melbourne ? he has some good Speedmaster struts [ round bottom ] that could do the trick.

I had the same thought with the 1/4 flex. But I'm just going with what Mike at ML has recommended. I do wonder if a 3/16 would be ok though. Just running it 6S so it won't be too much of a beast. Open to feedback on that.

Yes I've had a look through the hobbysupplies.com.au website and didn't see this phantom strut there - but yet to email and ask. Might do that now.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

I'm using 3/16" on the nitro version of the GSX380. (Mac .45)
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Pescador - no probs with the 3/16 then? I really think I might go that way. Do you run a teflon liner with it?

How fast does your Nitro GSX380 go if I may ask?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

No, no problems with 3/16". I run 3/16"s on two other AC Sport 40's as well with no teflon. Speedwise? I guessing high 50's for heat racing, I'm still working on the strut to get a a bit more air under the boat.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

don,t use a Teflon liner as they can over heat and burn out electronics from high drag. a good quality 3/16 flexshaft such as the Aeromarine or CC Racing will be fine running on 6s plus. i mention those shaft brands etc as i see your in Australia so it would be cheaper for you to buy local otherwise O.S.E. have some good parts.

Ok thanks a lot guys. Appreciate the help & feedback. I was leaning toward no teflon in any case - so that just firms me up on that.

Yes rol243 I'm over here in Perth. So I might ask the HobbySupplies guys to fix me up with a full 3/16 setup for it.

Mike seems adamant on the 1/4 flex strangely, but there's many who report it isn't needed on the GSX380. I guess he's just trying to make it as bulletproof as possible for people. I'll have to go to Steve (OSE) for a few things - maybe that 5692 Leopard if I go that way.

You think if I push the boat to around 60 - 70 mph (may or may not happen) the 3/16 will hold up?.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Deleted double post.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

the 3/16 inch shaft will hold up easy, i used to run 90 [ 15cc ] glow engines with 3/16 shafts and never had a problem. 1/4 inch is definetly more bullet proof but there will be alot more drag in the drive line with this size flex shaft spinning at 30k plus rpms.

Looking at placing the turn fin now. I've sourced a Macomb Stainless Steel Sport 40 Turn Fin for it. Seems a bit large for this hull??

Exactly where is the correct position for the turn fin? Anywhere across the rear of the RH sponson? Closer to the outside edge?

I was going to use 3mm aluminium angle to make a mounting bracket for it - but this seems slightly too thin. Would 4mm be better?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

I'm using a Virginia Craftsman turnfin I'm not familiar with the Macomb, the bracket on mine is 1/4' so 3mm sounds a bit thin. I also put a 1/4" piece of aluminum inside the sponson to mount the bracket. I found one of Mike's pictures maybe it will help with the fin placement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Namba District 16

Hey Pescador. Thanks again mate! Yep I've seen that pic of Mike's and it's about all I have to go on at the moment. It's hard to see but has he got the vertical part of the fin aligned with the flat sponson bottom edge?

Can anyone take a pic of their turn fin placement from behind so I can see its placement.

Guess I'll try emailing Mike about it as well.

Cheers!!
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-PAWW View Post
    Hey Pescador. Thanks again mate! Yep I've seen that pic of Mike's and it's about all I have to go on at the moment. It's hard to see but has he got the vertical part of the fin aligned with the flat sponson bottom edge?

Can anyone take a pic of their turn fin placement from behind so I can see its placement.

Guess I'll try emailing Mike about it as well.

Cheers!!
    I put mine 90 deg to the bottom, on the outside edge. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16

Cheers Pescador! That is exactly the photo I needed. Helps a lot! :-)

Ok so this is the Macomb Stainless Steel Sport 40. Looks about right size wise actually now that I've seen the Virginia Craftsman. I figure somewhere about there for placement - except once mounted it will clear the hull some.

PERTH AUSTRALIA

Yes, make it clear the hull in case it kicks up. Nice build.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I am building up a gp-335 , just need to work out correct c.o.g. / strut depth .

Ok so - the results of some time spent in the workshop. Not pretty but it might just work. Raise the fin a little higher do you think?

PERTH AUSTRALIA

would be good if you could raise the fin abit so only the thin section is under the ride pad not the double layer of fin as well., otherwise good job.

I run the 380 rigger ML sells and I run a 4070 motor and 187 cable on 6s. My boat does 80mph and the cable holds up fine. i also use teflon liner. But you need to make sure you use teflon liner and not plastic linear. But if your going to run a 56 size motor a 1/4 cable might hold up better if your running 10s but for 6s a 187 should work fine. I believe he runs the 56zz size motor because the boat needs the weight up front and why add lead.

Mark

Rol243: Yep thanks for your thoughts on turn fin height. I agree. I think I might make another bracket that lifts the double layer above the ride pad as you suggest.

MarkF: Hey mate! My Dinogy's are still going strong. There's another guy in my club who's built a GSX380 and is having all sorts of issues - seemingly with too much weight up front. His boat submarines often and also seems to get a strange side to side squirelly movement (can't describe it any better) from time to time. If memory serves he was running it 8s. So I'm looking for no more than a 6S setup. If it sits in the 60's that'll do me just fine. Ordered the leopard 5692 1340kv for it just today from Steve. I'll stick it all together and see how it goes. Seems that with 6S worth of cells and the leopard motor the weight should be ok for the hull. Gone the .187 cable and then the speedmaster strut & rudder that Mike suggests.

Thanks Ray too for the comment on the build. It's my first and isn't perfect. But good enough to complete and try running. That someone like me could build this boat speaks volumes for Mike's designs. Learned a lot. Not so hard with a little thought put into the mix. Looking at the next size up from the 380 for the next build - but that's off a bit yet.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Running 8s in the GSX380 is outside the weight it was designed around, and doesn't fit the class of the hull. It was designed around 6s, under 10000mah, anything more, is just not needed. The submarining issue has always been on these boats which guys are wanting 8s in the hull. I really don't understand the need for that much voltage in the hull. However, due to seeing this go on, I redesigned the sponsons to add more buoyancy, in hopes it will help anyone trying to do 8s in the future..beyond that, 6s is what should be in there anyways!!! As you can see in the prototype video, the boat could start from dead stop with 6s, and was running in the 70mph range!

https://youtu.be/gY1IiQvCOBA
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM