Thread: Toucan Hobby DT51E 1300 mm catamaran

Default Toucan Hobby DT51E 1300 mm catamaran

My long awaited cat has arrived. Bare hull is 1300 mm X 360 mm. The drive stinger mount pad is 115 mm X 80 mm. This is a big boat. Only two "niggles". One small gelcoat chip on a sponson vertical inside edge on the outer hull and the black pin striping looks like it may last one run maybe two. Otherwise the gelcoat application looks excellent. All the decoration is some form of sticker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More images

Finally. This hull will take a lot of carbon fibre. The interior is cavenous. Previous images show a standard size soft drink can (375 ml) for comparison. Also will need a bit of carbon fibre sheet to reinforce the forward deck interior.

I have two TP Power 4070 motors and Turnigy 240 amp ESC. Each motor will run 8s (2 packs per side). This will be a very long term project.

size comparison. First image is a 40 series mounting. Second image a 56 series mount. I will be using the 40 series mount with a forward mounted support mount. That is a 70 cm boat for size comparison.
    Last edited by Old School; 03-27-2018 at 10:57 PM.

very nice hull indeed. your going to have heaps of fun decking this one out ., plus no painting to do.

Looks good. Lots of room to work!

That looks real nice. I've always wondered what they really look like because it looks good in pictures. Now, that you finally got one and you're happy with how it looks, I might get one . . .one day. . but not anytime soon.

The Spiderman version which I liked apart from the web pattern on the deck surface, I believe in the basic hull you also receive the air scoops. I am more than happy with the hull, but it will be a big job to get it done. I initially was going to install the Turnigy "Proteus" 56 series motors but after seeing a video of a stock boat with 2 off 4082 motors and 120 amp ESC doing almost 70 mph, I thought why carry around all that extra weight for little if no gain in speed. That is why I opted for the TP Power 4070 motors.

With the arrival yesterday of a quick change 40 mm motor mount from OSE for another hull, I did a trial fit in the cat hull and decided that this mount will be perfect to mount the dual TP 4070 motors with 70 mm cooling jackets. The mount will allow easy access to the four motor mount bolts from above. I had intended an alloy TFL mount with forward mounted motor ring to retain the motors but I feel that the quick change motor mount will make motor removal/install a simple procedure.

Edit: this is the video that sold me on this hull. Stock boat has 2 off 4082 motors with 120 amp Seaking ESC, 45 mm props and it is good for nearly 70 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrdY7hFgzc
    Last edited by Old School; 04-04-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Apart from doing the carbon fibre inlay to the hull, the part of the construction I dread is fitting the drive shafts. To aid fitting the stingers I decided to spend some time making a template from 2 mm carbon fibre plate. This will make fitting the stingers simpler as well as providing a bolt hole template for reinforcing plates on the inside of the sponsons.

I need to finish up my current Osprey build so it will be a while before I tackle this project.