Thread: Sprint Cat .21 to FE, new project...

Default Sprint Cat .21 to FE, new project...

Well now i'm looking at converting my old Sprint Cat .21 (30") into an FE. I plan on keeping the engine rails in place just in case i ever decide to go nitro racing again (probably not but ya never know). I'm planning on possibly running this in P-class Cat if i get back into sanctioned racing with my local IMPBA club. Anyways, i think it will be a straight forward conversion, flex shaft stuffing tube is already in place, but i am gonna change out the hardware on the transom. So, for set-up, i'm, gonna go with a Leopard 4074, but i'm not sure if if should go the 1800KV or the 2000KV version. Is there that big of a difference? Old hull is fairly heavy, i'm leaning towards the 1800kv just for that little bit more torque. Again, this will be a 4S runner. I already have a brand new OSE Raider 150 ESC, that should be a good ESC for this set-up, correct? Only issue i have with the Raider 150 is it comes with 6mm bullets/connector nicely installed, i have 3 sets of battery packs that are all 5.5mm, just curious if they make a .5mm sleeve adapter, or i'll just have to cut that nice connector off the ESC and replace the bullets (don't want too but...). I also have a "turbine" cowl for the boat so that i can seal the internals with out any problem.

IMG_3294.jpg IMG_3295.jpg IMG_3298.jpg

You interested in selling the nitro motor?

Great hull the Sprint Cat. i would say by the time you start setting this hull up for electric etc power you no doubt won,t go back to glow power with this hull so maybe you should cut out the rails etc to lose some weight as you will end up with a heavier hull when its electric compared to the total glow powered weight. also making up a new cowl / lid will lose some weight too. i wouldn,t go under 2000 kv,s with motor choice for 4s running.

Yeah I loved this hull back when I raced it, handles great! I looked at a .21 Sprint Cat set up on Facebook that left the rails in place, and it looked like everything fit well, I know I probably won't go back to nitro but I'm gonna keep the rails for now. I'm not opposed to running the 2000kv motor, probably would run good, I do run the 4074 1800kv version in my Fighter Cat Daytona (Genesis) on 4S and it runs awesome, I'm totally happy with it. If I can get away with the 2000kv motor than I'll probably try it.

Longballlumber, right now probably not, I'm gonna keep the engine for the time being. It hasn't run in about 15 years, so it will need to be gone thru that's for sure.

Totally stripped down, ready to go FE. So far just some initial mock up looks like room shouldn't be a problem, they only real problem i have is getting all the spray foam out of the sponsons. Also got the Turbine cowl for the boat. In the near future i'm gonna be ordering parts for this thing, on the motor side i'm looking at the either the 4074 or 4082 2000KV Leopard. Is there much of a difference?? Bigger always better??

IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3344.jpg IMG_3339.jpg IMG_3340.jpg

cut out the old wooden engine mount and the front tank bed area as this is justy a waiste of excess weight. the larger 4082 motor will have more torque [ bigger prop ] than the smaller 4074. if you block off the front part and rear part of cowling you should end up with a nice water proof motor / esc / radio bay when the cowl is tapped down. looks great.

Big bag of parts from OSE, started laying everything out! So far everything is lining up quite well!! 4082 2000KV Leopard with an OSE Raider 150 ESC, should be a bit faster than it ever was back in my nitro days!

IMG_3359.jpg IMG_3360.jpg IMG_3362.jpg