Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Namba Voting for Modification and Additions for Electric 1/8 Scale Unlimited Hydro"

Just for the record I’m against this scale proposal.. I think the boats are underpowered.. 8s in a 57mm prop 850 kv.. like watching paint dry.. sorry.. at the fe nats in 2016 the 10s boats ran better in my opinion

There was a post on IW stating this proposal was approved by the membership. I went to the NAMBA website to confirm.

Wow, that was a heck of a swing OPEN motors up to 10S voltage to a limit of 3 motors, 8S voltage, and prop diameter limit. Not that I agree with the new NAMBA rules, but something in the middle would have been more acceptable. This is going to make having an 1/8 scale boat that is legal for both organizations really tough!

I agree.. and also these boats are way under powered now..and def would’ve been nice somewhere in middle ground..

This is where IMPBA has an advantage over NAMBA. Proposals get discussed by the BOD including class directors before they get voted on. They look at the "why", the pros and cons, etc. Sometimes ideas get people thinking and talking about a problem. An even better solution may result in the end. The BOD are elected to repressent the best interest of their respective districts for this purpose.

If I were racing at a NAMBA event if would be worth the price of admission to pay the protest fee just to watch the carnage unfold.

Prove to me that a motors is 850kv, that a cell is truly only capable of 4.2v per cell, that cells are actually 65c, and that they are actually only 6000mah. Maybe 4 protest on 4 different boats. Should be a scream to watch.
    Noisy person

I agree something in the middle would have been nice. I hope it works out and the class flourishes..
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This is where IMPBA has an advantage over NAMBA. Proposals get discussed by the BOD including class directors before they get voted on. They look at the "why", the pros and cons, etc. Sometimes ideas get people thinking and talking about a problem. An even better solution may result in the end. The BOD are elected to repressent the best interest of their respective districts for this purpose.

If I were racing at a NAMBA event if would be worth the price of admission to pay the protest fee just to watch the carnage unfold.

Prove to me that a motors is 850kv, that a cell is truly only capable of 4.2v per cell, that cells are actually 65c, and that they are actually only 6000mah. Maybe 4 protest on 4 different boats. Should be a scream to watch.
    Maybe come to nats in Dallas this year.. I’m feeling a protest coming

Yeah not too impressed after buying a bunch of 5s packs last year, I’ll run 10s with our club and skip running scale at the Nats I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I don't think so Ray. Traveled to the Spring nats, hosting a nats, club racing, traveling to the CanAm, and hopefully a time trial somewhere. No telling if Flint will ever be a body of water again. You can (no joke) walk across that sucker now. Looks like a ghetto version of the salt flats at the moment. The risk of burn out is real for me. Plus it's NAMBA. Outside of the nats are there any NAMBA events offering FE east of California this year? I'm totally ignorant on that being out of the loop.

Hey, if you get a sticker from a manufacturer that says 65c and slap it onto a 100c pack it's legal right? You don't need a legal cell. You need a legal label.

Maybe Brian will make the trip so he can prove all these un..... provable things. Disassemble the packs. Pull the motors apart and count the winds maybe. Make sure it has factory bearings and wire. Maybe that isn't part of the rule. Maybe just an 850kv stamp on the can is all you need. Oh! An 850kv sticker! Done. Neu motors come with stickers from the factory.

Maybe the tech is easier than we think. Check all the labels and you're done.

All the problems we've found with limited they just added to scale and then some.
    Noisy person

I don't think so Ray. Traveled to the Spring nats, hosting a nats, club racing, traveling to the CanAm, and hopefully a time trial somewhere. No telling if Flint will ever be a body of water again. You can (no joke) walk across that sucker now. Looks like a ghetto version of the salt flats at the moment. The risk of burn out is real for me. Plus it's NAMBA. Outside of the nats are there any NAMBA events offering FE east of California this year? I'm totally ignorant on that being out of the loop.

Hey, if you get a sticker from a manufacturer that says 65c and slap it onto a 100c pack it's legal right? You don't need a legal cell. You need a legal label.

Maybe Brian will make the trip so he can prove all these un..... provable things. Disassemble the packs. Pull the motors apart and count the winds maybe. Make sure it has factory bearings and wire. Maybe that isn't part of the rule. Maybe just an 850kv stamp on the can is all you need. Oh! An 850kv sticker! Done. Neu motors come with stickers from the factory.

Maybe the tech is easier than we think. Check all the labels and you're done.

All the problems we've found with limited they just added to scale and then some.
    Took the words right out of my mouth..I will not run 1/5 fe now at nats..

Or just put 4s stickers on my 5s packs.. and yes on how do u prove kv?? I’m willing to bet I’m the only one there that can check kv of a motor..guess need to have Neu wind some 100kv 1527s and just out a correct sticker on those too..

Guess its time to nail my 1/8th Executone on the wall and put a frame around it...shame.

You don't race NAMBA John.
    Noisy person

Even the limited classes aren’t this choked down.

Anybody want to buy my 1/8th scale? So much BS on this issue and probably half the people don't build or race the class.
    Leonard Feeback

Just go nitro. Sounds like a lot less hand wringing.
    Noisy person

I said there were some problems with the rule proposal.

First off, unlike P-ltd and 1/10 scale, the new 1/8 scale rule doesn't state that the motors must be run as delivered from the factory, so modding is fair game. The factory markings constitute a legal motor and should remain visible for inspection. Missing or altered factory markings will constitute an illegal motor.

Definitive battery tech is pretty much impossible at the pond (and difficult in the shop), so all cells will require a factory label to verify capacity and discharge rate. Re-wrapped or unreadable labels will not be allowed for competition. The appropriate factory label and pre-heat voltage check will count for tech.

Factory labels on ESC's will be required to verify they meet the requirements for rule 6.d.i.

Prop diameter should be checked each heat at the same time pre-heat battery voltage is checked. Should be an easy fixture to build/use.

That should cover tech inspection for the new FE 1/8 scale rules.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

You don't race NAMBA John.
    I know...it would just be nice if both organizations were trashed and made into one with a common set of rules for all classes. Would make life in general easier.

Terry, I did run nitro 1/8 th scale.

As an Avid Scale racer, 2 time NAMBA scale "UNLIMITED" National Champion, and owner of 4, yes 4 scale boats that don't conform to these rules, I would now have to reconfigure all of my boats. So will the other 6 guys in my club. This is beyond unfair. I would have to buy all new 4 cell batteries. New motors and retest and retune my boats that I have spent many YEARS testing and tuning to get them where they are. I don't know what the thought is behind these rules??? 3 of my boats simply could not run with these rules, they are too heavy. So lets say we can only use a 45mm prop for P-limited classes too????
    I have 350 props and I should be allowed to chose any prop I want to run on my boat. And what happens to the guy that doesn't know anything about props and how to mod or tune them? I have 50mm props that run faster than most guys 57mm props! how fair is that, now that he doesn't have enough knowledge to get the most out of the power limits that would be imposed. This is a rediculous proposal that has no merit, it's called "UNLIMITED" for a reason. Thats my opinion.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Mike,
    Sorry, but the proposal passed 369 to 157. We're stuck with it.

The reality is you can run them in your club just as you always have. The new rule set will be used at nationals and time trials.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Mike, you could just run IMPBA. Your boats are legal as is. From memory that is.
    Noisy person

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

bahahahahahahahaha
    Noisy person

I’ve stayed out of this discussion since I don’t have a dog in the hunt, but it seems that those who proposed the new rules got their wish. (I’m surprised so many members even voted.) I wonder how many racers with newly-illegal boats will modify them so they fit the new rules.

Actually, as Brian stated NAMBA clubs can run whatever rules they want. They can still travel all over the country to race at each other’s events - just not at the Nats or at time trials. But wait, the Nats host club could run an “exhibition class” of 1/8 boats under the old rules. Seems that may be the best solution for those who are so unhappy, but then I don’t even own an 1/8th scale boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

WELL screw NAMBA I will have my club and implore all NY NJ and PA clubs switch to IMPBA and I will never race a NAMBA race again, except this nationals and just scale to annihilate everyone with their new rules, I just went out this morning and tested my new 8 cell setup and its 68mph down the staright 4 mph slower than my 10 cell setup. Im still pissed BC my other 3 boats wont run on 8 cell. See u all in texas.

10s is way more efficient.. but they got their spec 1/8 now..didn’t know u we’re going mikey.. will see u there

Like I said just decided I'm going just to run scale!

Yup 10s way more efficient, for a full race plus a mill lap with my 10s setup I use 2800mah, with this setup I ran today I used about 4200mah, thats 50% more power than my 10s setup and EVERYTHING motor battery and speedo were all much hotter.
    10s:
    Motor 111'
    speedo 117'
    batts 108'
    8s
    motor 144'
    speedo 167'
    batts 141'
    All to go 4mph SLOWER!!!!

Thats ludicrous, I wont subject my equipment to that abuse on a regular basis. (or for any period of time)
    I pride myself on my setups being fast and efficient. This is just so bad, these people want to limit the speeds at the cost of ruinung their equipment. Did anyone even think this one out??? And by the way I got these speeds and temps using only a 52mm prop, not even close to the max diameter allowed. The rule is stupid the people who proposed it are stupid and the people who voted for it are STUPID. I'm not mincing words you are all STUPID STUPID STUPID. I'm so hell bent to destroy all of you at "your" nats that I will go thru a motor speedo and batts in every heat just to beat you all.
    SOOOOO PISSED!!!!!

Yer just going to prove their concept Mikey.
    Noisy person

Oh BTW with this setup I ran 6 laps on a legal course in 75 seconds just so u guys have a number to shoot for!!!! My fast lap was 11.5 seconds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast