Thread: Miss Geico 17 brushless conversion / planer board / trim tab on rudder set up?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Miss Geico 17 brushless conversion / planer board / trim tab on rudder set up?

So I picked up a few MG17's for summer time pool racing, as well as brushless set-ups for each. I've been digging through the forums on here, as well as just about every YT video I could find on it. There is one video in particular, posted by Waggers79 a few years back, that shows very nice performance from this little hull. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQx9OfQ1-xg

I'd like to replicate that. He did it by counteracting the direct drive angle using a (planer board?) trim tab on or near the rudder. I'm looking for info available on parts to use, pics of what's entailed, and/or how to go about fabricating it.

Here's a quote taken from his video comments on what he did: "Next part is very important; the pitch of the drive shaft was designed to put the prop at a particular angle for the cat to plane out on the water with the stock motor. With the power increase the boat will nose dive and flip...The best solution I found was on another video on here....fit a trim tab to the bottom of the rudder (easier than it sounds) thus driving water pressure from the prop down onto it which will drive the nose up and allow her to plane out...."

Any personal experience you guys have with this would be very helpful, thanks! -Mark
    Last edited by Davey80; 08-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.