Thread: Just your average, everyday Zelos 48 QUAD

Default Just your average, everyday Zelos 48 QUAD

Not my boat, but had to post the pictures here because it's damn near unbelievable! Can't wait to see some video of it running, which has been promised.

2018-03-18 11.44.45.jpg 2018-03-18 11.44.26.jpg 2018-03-18 11.44.34.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

wow, will be interesting to see speeds, did you get any idea of an estimated value?

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    wow, will be interesting to see speeds, did you get any idea of an estimated value?
    nope, the thread I found wasn't the owner, so details are limited at this point
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn skippy Ryan, when you get the vids of it running plz post. It does look amazing but sometimes too much of a good thing could possibly lead to bad thing/results. . .but you never know. You really have to know what you're doing to try something like this and I'm sure the builder has done calculations and all precautionaries when he envisioned this monster. . . thanks for sharing.

This is like ice skating, first it was single axle flips, then duals, then triples and now quads!! I think some are under the wrong impression about speed being quicker. It will top out at the pitch of the props, just like a single. But it will accelerate like a bat out of hell! I did a real down and dirty force vector analysis of this setup and it could end up with some severe radius hunting in the corners. I think it’s going to be tough to keep this on a consistent arc in the corners. It may have been built for some serious zip-zipping and forego the cornering. Does it look like to you guys that he’s running two motors off of each ESC? Hard to see in there... What a great build!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Does it look like to you guys that he’s running two motors off of each ESC? Hard to see in there...
    they are in front of the 2 motors in the sponsons.

I saw that on Facebook this morning. If nothing else, it looks cool!
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.hall...5287868181338/

Theres a vid on Facebook...runs like a turd..slow and wet...but lets give it the benefit of the doubt and assume its the first time out and he's taking it easy with no actual tuning etc..also needs a bigger pond!

Wholly crap! It appears to be slower than stock...Nice find on this one!
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Like I said...lets see it after a few shakedown runs on bigger water.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    This is like ice skating, first it was single axle flips, then duals, then triples and now quads!! I think some are under the wrong impression about speed being quicker. It will top out at the pitch of the props, just like a single. But it will accelerate like a bat out of hell! I did a real down and dirty force vector analysis of this setup and it could end up with some severe radius hunting in the corners. I think it’s going to be tough to keep this on a consistent arc in the corners. It may have been built for some serious zip-zipping and forego the cornering. Does it look like to you guys that he’s running two motors off of each ESC? Hard to see in there... What a great build!
    agree 100% he will be held back by the props, thats why my post was "it will be interesting to see what speeds" I didnt want to offend if the boat was a members here .......it will jump out of the whole wildly and he could pull some weight

I have twin mercurys on my real boat but the motors are 1950's vintage and there is only 6 prop pitches to choose from and I just cant get anything steep enough to take advantage of the power I have ....same problem

Who cares how well it performs. Sometimes you've got to acknowledge creativity mixed with talent, boredom, money, determination, and spare parts.

Craig, I don't see it like ice-skating where the anty is consistently being raised, I see it like the car show I went to as a teenager where I saw a T bucket with two small block V8 engines sitting side by side. The wow factor was in the presentation and engineering ability. The fact that the car could run and drive was just gravy after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Who cares how well it performs. Sometimes you've got to acknowledge creativity mixed with talent, boredom, money, determination, and spare parts.
    I think most everyone who sees this build will "care how well it performs" simply because it's a powerhouse setup that cost a pretty penny to do in a HUGE boat...This boat could be very fast in the final stages, if set up properly and efficient. BTW I've seen several pictures of your boats on here with carbon inlays, extreme performance props, and with a GPS in it reading some sort of speed number trying to find a way to get that extra mph to keep up... That's the fun of it!
    Last edited by MADRCER; 03-18-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Looks like a lot of money for nothing. Lol

Craig, I don't see it like ice-skating where the anty is consistently being raised, I see it like the car show I went to as a teenager where I saw a T bucket with two small block V8 engines sitting side by side. The wow factor was in the presentation and engineering ability. The fact that the car could run and drive was just gravy after the fact.
    I didn’t think about that angle... it’s definately more than just a show piece, this boat will rip a straight! I wouldn’t build it, but I have respect for the work and appreciation that went into this. It took a lot of thought!

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    I have twin mercurys on my real boat but the motors are 1950's vintage and there is only 6 prop pitches to choose from and I just cant get anything steep enough to take advantage of the power I have ....same problem
    these guys can make you any pitch you want.
    https://www.miwheel.com/

There have been quads on here before. Bigger boats mind you. I don’t recall what or where on here, outboards seem to come to mind.
    The idea of multiple motors is they help each other push more prop. Therefore you can increase diameter or pitch to more than you would get with a single. And of course a holeshot!
    It would be a matter of tuning to find the right set of props for quads.

Hopefully all the motors are very close in Kv/torque

Who cares how well it performs. Sometimes you've got to acknowledge creativity mixed with talent, boredom, money, determination, and spare parts
    You can still acknowledge creativity while providing critical feedback.

Personally I'm more of a function over form and would rather put 2 big motors on there than 2 short Dynamites and make it fly (or just about). If he genuinely tried to make it fast, well...learn from your [expensive] mistakes.