Thread: hardcase packs?

Default hardcase packs?

New to FE boats but not R/C electric. What is the reasoning for hardcase packs? I'm guessing for protection in R/C cars? Is there any disadvantage using them in a boat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fred685 View Post
    New to FE boats but not R/C electric. What is the reasoning for hardcase packs? I'm guessing for protection in R/C cars? Is there any disadvantage using them in a boat?

Thanks
    Safety yes in cars. Not recommended in boats. We run higher amp draws and the hard packs can’t release the heat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes... what Howard said plus if they are in a wet boat they do not dry out easy.
    Used a couple Turnigy Graphene Hardcases in a P-Limit a couple summers ago. Split the plastic case open. Sold them to a car guy used at a big loss because they where useless for boats.

Maybe okay for sport boating, but definitely not competition with high amp draws.
    Have fun with that....

Most hardcase packs that I've experienced have built-in 4mm female terminals. Not great for high amp draw FE applications. They do make a nice crisp "POP" when they split open 'tho...
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

There are some cases with 5mm connectors and rated for 100C. I got four of them, Speedzone brand. I got 4 runs on them and they are measuring just under 3mOhm resistance. I use the hard packs because I need the weight distribution. I also run them in a HV configuration, so I don’t need crazy current out of them.

I know someone, (not me) who bought one of the new Traxxas boats and a pair of hardshell battery packs for it.with Traxxas connectors. These are proprietary connectors which Traxxas has chosen to use.
    From what I've read here, I should now advise him to use different connectors as well as not use the hard shell battery packs.

For what it's worth, I have read that the Traxxas connectors are only good to 100 amp draw, and Deans were only good to 80 amp. I read it on the internet so it must be true! LOL
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.