Thread: Mini Cat Micro Hydro Outrigger

Thumbs up Mini Cat Micro Hydro Outrigger

Just wanted to share some pictures of my new creation. I'm fairly new to RC boating (about a year now). My second boat was this Mini Cat Hydro. It was pretty cool stock, but I couldn't resist modifying it. Since I really didn't know what I was doing, I figured a giant motor would be a good idea. I installed a Leopard 2860 2,050 KV motor, a 0.150 flex cable, a Proboat Blackjack 29 strut and a stock Blackjack 29 prop. To top off that monstrocity, I installed a 90 amp ESC and a 6s battery. I was sure that it work great. When I tried it out, all it would do is immediately torque roll right over onto its roof. I couldn't apply the throttle soft enough to keep it from torquing. Propping it down helped, but I couldn't even get it run as fast as it did stock without flipping onto its roof. So, I put it on the shelf. This winter though, I got the bright idea of adding sponsons to keep it from torquing over. I bought some Etti mini rigger sponsons from OSE and some carbon fiber rods. I then did some drilling and epoxying and made the monster in the pictures. Believe it or not, it runs absolutely awesome! It doesn't torque roll or torque steer at all and it really hits a fast top speed. I'm running full throttle on 6s with an Octura 632 prop. According to the OSE calculator, it should hit around 60 MPH. I don't think its going any where near that fast, but I'll bet it is in the 40s. It has brutally fast acceleration as well. Maybe one of these days I'll buy a device for measuring speed and see what it is really capable of. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What an interesting idea. I have one of those micro hydro’s, was my first FE. Space is at a premium inside these hulls! What is the handling like on this contraption?

It actually still handles pretty well. I mostly run it on a pretty tight river, so I do a lot of straight line speed followed by slower turn arounds. I need to get it out on some open water this summer to see how it handles in an oval.