Thread: Proboat UL-19 twin drive

Thumbs up Proboat UL-19 twin drive

Hay everyone, this is my first post. I've been into RC boating for about a year now and have built 4 boats so far. My latest, and coolest so far is this UL-19 twin drive. It is built with almost all stock UL-19 parts. I just had to buy an additional motor, motor mount, ESC and strut kit. I made all the Carbon fiber pieces myself using 2mm carbon fiber plate stock that I bought off of Ebay. The only real non-Proboat parts are the carbon fiber pieces and the reverse rotation flex shaft that I got from OSE. It was actually a pretty simple build. I took it out yesterday for a test run in an unfortunately too small river. It is really quite fast. It pulls major wheelies on the start and goes straight as an arrow. It's nice to have this much power and not worry about torque steer/roll. I don't know what the top speed will be, but it should certainly be quite a bit faster than a stock one and should be even faster than a Zelos twin. What struck me is the acceleration! From zero to too fast is nearly instant. I can't wait to get this thing out on some open water! Now I want to build more twin drives!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's awesome!! Need to get a GPS and see what the top speed is!

Looking forward to seeing it on water.
    AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

Actually, the drives are the same levels. They just look different because I mis-measured and mounted one of the struts lower than the other.

I'm going to put on a dual pickup rudder next and get rid of the Y fitting.

I’m building a twin Vortex 34, this is great! What size props do you have? I don’t think the boat will have more top speed due to twin drive. Seems that the pitch is the pitch, but as you noted, should accelerate really hard! It should turn better too. I’d like to see a pic of your turn fin. Have you tried full speed course runs? Really nice, thanks for sharing!

I'm running the "CNC 46mm, 1.6 pitch, 3/16" bore, De-Tongued" props from OSE. They have just a bit more total pitch then the stock prop.

I didn't know that the Veles was twin ready. That's pretty cool. Maybe one of those next.

I just have the stock UL-19 turn fin on it right now. I heard that there are better aftermarket fins for the UL-19 though. I have only done some basic tests so far. Once it warms up here in Maryland, I'll take it out and give it a proper thrashing. Good luck with your build!

Awesome build, very creative. Can't wait to hear about your progress.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)