Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recovery boat.. What does everyone use

Im using a KMB jet boat on 4s with a dynamite 36 series motor and a pvc fork type catching unit mounted on the front

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That looks pretty simple to make.. how much?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess about $20 for the 1/2" PVC pipe, tees & elbows, and noodles. But, I had a 15 size airplane outrunner motor, 3 cell batt & servo. I bought a Turnigy 40 amp ESC so I could have reverse. So, about $100 in the electronics.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

I guess about $20 for the 1/2" PVC pipe, tees & elbows, and noodles. But, I had a 15 size airplane outrunner motor, 3 cell batt & servo. I bought a Turnigy 40 amp ESC so I could have reverse. So, about $100 in the electronics.
    I'm planning on building a rescue boat, if you don't mind providing more information on your build. I'm not too familiar with outrunner setup and prop, just wondering what KV motor you bought and size of prop I should get.

dawg recovery.jpeg
    Swamp Dawg air boat. $49 HK. It works ok now that I have a 3 blade prop.

I use a highly modified Cajun Commander air boat for my rescues.

9BDA3823-5792-4590-91CE-E72B8B6B19BB.jpg6D3DE2A1-4505-4CD0-9ECE-3946A9BF43AB.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]165768[/ATTACHp]4CA817DF-E0E9-4DB0-85C7-E5DB1940D822.jpg4CA817DF-E0E9-4DB0-85C7-E5DB1940D822.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

ProBoat has a new 30-inch tug that comes with recovery arms:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...Ue4D5Q7Zeq4w5A
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Wow talk about over priced!

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    ProBoat has a new 30-inch tug that comes with recovery arms:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...Ue4D5Q7Zeq4w5A
    I thought long & hard about this. I even almost "pulled the trigger". But, I think I've decided to stick with my current collection of 3 'part-time' rescue boats (ProBoat Shockwave w/ much lower kV motor & PVC tube rescue platform, TFL Jet Boat, and my just-acquired Tenshock Mini Eco), as all three can be used as 'rescue' boats, as well as for 'pure enjoyment'.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Here is mine.

LJ
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Air boat. DIY for around 150$.

traxxas blast with a pvc and noodle setup . went with the blast because it uses prop steer and steers better at low speeds then a boat with rudder steer . can also fit a 5000 mah lipo in there so plenty of rescue time . 20191010_192342.jpg
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

That's a good looking setup! Question about the Traxxas Blast - does it have a reverse? I currently have the DIY air boat, and the Neptune cheap RC boat from Harbor Freight tools which has a custom PVC harness. One problem with the Naptune is that it has forward only, and no reverse!

no reverse .you can however change the esc on the blast to get reverse .i never found it necessary
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Thanks for that information. In my experience in a recovery boat reverse is a must. I have ended up on the shore and wasn't able to back up die to no reverse... Also, of the disabled boat is far away, where it's hard to see, scooping the disabled boat becomes a challenge. Having reverse helps. All of the above made me build an air boat, which has reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1979 View Post
    Also, if the disabled boat is far away, where it's hard to see, scooping the disabled boat becomes a challenge. Having reverse helps.
    I'm definitely in agreement on a rescue boat needing reverse if it's using a review platform. Regarding rescuing a boat Russia "a distance", that's why I installed an FPV camera onto the canopy of my primary rescue boat, as well as a display monitor onto that boat's Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    Getting my revolt 30 here soon hopefully..
    For the time being I'm going to use a fishing pole with a tennis ball, but eventually want a CHEAP recovery boat.

So this has brought me to the used cheap boat market and ebay.

this boat will ONLY be used as a recovery boat, doesn't have to be fast or anything. Looking for 2.4ghz (obviously) and atleast 5 minutes of run time.

this def isn't hobby grade : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PX-16-1-16-...0AAOSwGHJaZ~aY
    BUT it has a lipo battery and seems to be maybe a deans plug. and its fairly big?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fei...gAAOSwWxNYq7ng
    this also has a lipo.

My thinking is, these small lipos can be had very cheap so it would be easy to get more run time..

Thoughts?
    I just got the new ProBoat BlackJack 42 and I was looking for a nice recovery boat.. After doing around a month or so of research, I decided to go with the -
    Feilun FT011 65CM 2.4G Brushless RC Boat that is a water cooling system. Plus it has a pretty cool nose guard where I can hook on my recovery system that I have in mind...

Feilun FT011 Review
    http://<a href="https://www.youtube....m-NLq6gH-k</a>
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7

keep in mind that during a rescue you will be moving pretty slow most the time ......lining up the boat......pushing back to shore........the motor will not get much water cooling effect at those speeds .
    thats one the reasons i went with a brushed motor boat . motors are bigger and can dissipate their own heat better and some have heatsinks .

most tugs are brushed motor or twin brushed motors for the same reason . just something to think about . you could add a water pump to pump cooling water thru the system at low speed .

Using an outrunner airplane motor and SeaKing ESC without water cooling. Current is too low to matter.

DSC06417.jpgDSC06419.jpg
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

I'm about to take my ProBoat Shockwave "rescue" boat in a new direction, and looking for some thoughts on what I'm proposing. The 'plan' is to take it from "one of my 3 part time rescue boats" (the other two are a TFL Jet Boat, and a Tenshock Mini Eco), and torn it into "my only full time rescue boat" (this making the other two 100% "pleasure use").

Right now, I've got a dual-rudder, with the water line from one rudder cooling the motor, and the water line from the other rudder cooling the ESC. The ESC (which will remain) is a SeaKing 120A, the motor is a Leopard 3650 1350kv, and the prop is the stock 42mm plastic prop. The 'problem' has been keeping the motor & ESC cool, as the slower speed prevents the water pickups from pushing (pulling?) enough water through them lines. Remember that the stock motor is 2000kv.

So...here's what I'm looking to do. First up is to replace the 1350kv with a 1050kv motor. Next to install two 370-based water pumps, to keep water flowing through the system no matter the boat's speed (even when the boat is motionless). Third is too replace the stock plastic 42mm 1.4 pitch (or, if it 1.6?) prop with a larger diameter (and possibly lower pitch) prop. To start in I'll be testing the plastic Octura 1245, 1250, & 1450 2-blade 'chopper' props. I would have preferred to include some 3-blade props, but I couldn't find any plastic 'chopper' style props in the 42-46mm range. While I'll (probably) eventually go with a metal prop, I prefer testing using the plastic props, as they're a LOT lower on price.

For those who know boats better than I do, what are your thoughts...on the motor choice and/or my planned use of water pumps and/or my current prop choices? Obviously, the purpose isn't 'speed'...it's "go slow, but with a lot of torque". The dual-rudder setup allows turning equally well in both directions, even when pushing the rescue platform w/ rescued boat.

Last edited by Panther6834; 08-02-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Default Here is how I will be building my recovery boat system...

Here is an example of the recovery system that I will be creating for my
    Feilun FT011 boat

The latest "downgrades" to my Shockwave 'rescue boat' are complete. Installing the Leopard 4074 1050kv it Shockwave proved a little more difficult that expected. I had to take the trusty Dremel to the black (shiny) plastic piece that the mounting tray is attached to, sure to the larger motor diameter. Once that was complete, I moved into swapping the stock strut & flex cable with the OSE Cable System w/ 3/16" strut. After that, I installed the two 370-based water pumps (just in front of the transom). 'Home testing' was completed in my usual "testing facility", aka the bathtub.

As the 1040kv motor is, obviously, slower than the 1350kv motor I had tried using, and a LOT slower than the Shockwave's stock 2000kv motor, I knew I needed to go with a larger prop (stock, if I remember correctly, is either 39mm, or 41mm...honestly, I didn't measure it). I selected the OSE 3-blade 47mm...which, as some of you probably know, is a 'cleaver' style prop, and not really appropriate for what is now essentially a (fast looking) "tug". On top of that, with the dual-rudder, to 47mm turned out to be sightly larger than would fit (when the rudders are full-left, or full-right). So, out came my trusty Dremel (again). Not only did I make the prop smaller in diameter (44mm, having removed 1.5mm from each blade), but I also changed it from a 'cleaver' prop, to a 'chopper' prop.
    If all goes as I'm hoping it will, I will be doing a full-on "working" test tomorrow. Just hope I don't forget the temp gun (which I have forgotten in the past). If all goes well, I will consider my Shockwave as my permanent 'full-time' rescue boat. That's what I am...or, will be...using as my rescue boat from now on.

Default Zipkit Tug Recovery boat for the Black Jack 42..

ProBoat BlackJack 42 Ripping Laps on 8s on a new #Dasboata Prop incl. Recovery Zipkit TugBoat for the rescue...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ATYkj6lc0

Quote Originally Posted by HammertimeAZ View Post
    I dont take my boats to the biggest lakes in town but I always carry a light weight spinning fishing rod with a weighted Styrofoam bobber. Fingers crossed, Ive been able to get myself out of most pickles. I know its not a boat but it is one hell-of-a retriever!
    What line weight do you use? Fishing rod is always a great go to if it's not too far out.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Using an outrunner airplane motor and SeaKing ESC without water cooling. Current is too low to matter.

DSC06417.jpgDSC06419.jpg
    What timing would you recommend for a recovery boat like yours? I have a 600KV 5055 outrunner on 4S.

I just bought all the tubing yesterday and I have everything but pool foamies and a prop so far.

I'm looking forward to getting out and testing with less worry of boat loss.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123