Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery boat.. What does everyone use

average 5-7 mph, large rivers are really no problem, but I have to wait for slack tide to get a real accurate GPS reading on saw runs and because I play in the huge Columbia river its debris that's the issue. I hit a submerged tree limb 2 days ago that sent my Pursuit airborne at 60mph, I will loose my boats to debris at some point and I accept that its the cost of driving from my front lawn.

although I run my FE speed boats mostly from my own property, I tell you whats some of the most fun we have had in RC racing was we all bought the same cheapo river jet boats and race up the riffles & rapids trying to avoid rocks in creeks
    Last edited by MadProps; 03-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.

My son built a Zipp kits tugboat and it works fine. It uses a brushed car ESC and a cheap stick transmitter. Originally it had a 540 motor powered by two 6 volt 4 amp gel cells, however, the four-bladed prop was too large and when placed in the water the load caused the wiring to disintegrate. Tried it on both 6 and 12 volts with no luck.

I had an old Dumas 6 volt motor and using that with the 4 amp gel cells in parallel, the boat performs perfectly. The rudder is a two piece affair with basically articulation giving a trim tab effect. The trailing edge portion of the rudder swings through a greater arc than the forward portion of the rudder allowing the boat to basically pivot on the rudder post. The rescue boat has earned its money several times.

That looks sweet I have all the navigation lights and spotlights as well cuz I like to boat right at nightfall. I would recommend the outboards based on my personal experience they offer the most maneuverability and they're a lot easier to mount it different places on the recovery vessel

I forgot to mention you can't see it on the video cuz it's in the water but don't forget to add something underneath like netting to recover your boat. As it fills with water it starts to sink- or if it's upside down a lot of times you will drive up and over the boat- so by adding netting to the bottom if that happens The netting will stop it from going underneath or sinking. Just another trick I learned through trial and error

Quote Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post
    I forgot to mention you can't see it on the video cuz it's in the water but don't forget to add something underneath like netting to recover your boat. As it fills with water it starts to sink- or if it's upside down a lot of times you will drive up and over the boat- so by adding netting to the bottom if that happens The netting will stop it from going underneath or sinking. Just another trick I learned through trial and error
    great tip I had not considered that just thinking the grapple hook to hold it up will in motion but that netting sounds like its a plan

Yes sir hopefully it will save you a scuba diving trip like I had to before I learned my lesson LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Attachment 157693Attachment 157694Attachment 157695

Zippkits tug boat is pretty nice, super cheap and easy to put together. Took me 1-2 days to put mine together. It was like $50

Thinking maybe to put a sort of an extendable "trolling" rod on the back - like a sturdy antenna of some kind with a dull treble hook/line

I was considering the fire glass tugboats from hydromarine.de or Mhz powerboats before but they were easily $300-400 after Euro to US dollar conversion and shipping.

Unless you go route of overkill --
    Attachment 157696Attachment 157697
    What tugboat from zip is that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is the Zipp kits tugboat my son built last year. It runs very well. From memory the base kit was $29.00.

This is the boat from Hobbyking, but alas out of stock -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits...kit-455mm.html

This is the add-on kit (out ofr stock also) -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits...dware-kit.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Designed for rc aircraft/drone recovery however, could be used on a boat that sinks. 100 feet of attached line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDHHLnAdxsc

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    This is the Zipp kits tugboat my son built last year. It runs very well. From memory the base kit was $29.00.

This is the boat from Hobbyking, but alas out of stock -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits...kit-455mm.html

This is the add-on kit (out ofr stock also) -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits...dware-kit.html
    On zip kits website its all in stock.

Has anyone used the twinster with 2 motors?

I bought a kayak at Walmart for $148 for this purpose.

Before that, I use to swim, I know it's definitely NOT recommended and I admit it's not the smartest thing I've ever done. If I get flamed for admitting it, I'm cool with that. My last swim was in 60*F water. Talk about COLD and my legs got tired quickly. After that, I knew I needed a much better alternative.

Do NOT swim after a boat, it's not worth it.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    I bought a kayak at Walmart for $148 for this purpose.

Before that, I use to swim, I know it's definitely NOT recommended and I admit it's not the smartest thing I've ever done. If I get flamed for admitting it, I'm cool with that. My last swim was in 60*F water. Talk about COLD and my legs got tired quickly. After that, I knew I needed a much better alternative.

Do NOT swim after a boat, it's not worth it.
    Getting a blow up raft would be cheap but im thinking most of the ponds around me dont allow them.

Those that have inflatable boats etc, do you use them everywhere. A little 2 person inflatable deal is way cheaper. But the places around me im not sure if they would be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    Getting a blow up raft would be cheap but im thinking most of the ponds around me dont allow them.

I thought about that but I would be afraid of a sharp boat part puncturing it. I've heard inflatable rafts, boats, etc aren't really recommended either. That and no stores around here had one.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    I thought about that but I would be afraid of a sharp boat part puncturing it. I've heard inflatable rafts, boats, etc aren't really recommended either. That and no stores around here had one.
    Honestly i could just tie the boat off to the back of the raft.
    What kind of ponds do you run in? You would swim in neighborhood ponds?

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    What kind of ponds do you run in? You would swim in neighborhood ponds?

It's a pond in my apartment complex and the only reason I did it because I know for a fact there are no alligators in it but I no longer plan on doing that. That was also before I've read stories about people who perished swimming after boats.
    Current boats

you can easily flip a kayak/canoe or fall in the water trying to get into one - using a proper rescue boat is soo much less hassle and faster.

I think im just going to get a used boat that runs on a 540 or 550 can size. I should be able to for under 100.
    Looking at the traxxas blasts.

If it gets more expensive ill build one of the wooden tugs. Priced it out at about 120 for all electronics except a battery.

Look for a used Aquacraft Tug on ebay or craigslist. I use one with a lathe 540 motor and 4000mah 2s lipo. Runs well over an hour and with a pvc attatchment has recoverd several peoples boats with no issues. Also when at the lake if the tug isn't being used for a rescue my wife drives it all over the lake. Also it takes about 7 bucks to build the pvc rig with fun noodle included in the price
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    Also when at the lake if the tug isn't being used for a rescue my wife drives it all over the lake.
    I let the kids at the lake who walk up to us run the tug. They get a kick out of it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I let the kids at the lake who walk up to us run the tug. They get a kick out of it.
    Lets be honest the tug makes RC boating fun reliable and relaxing. I have seen a few Fast electrics get thrown faster then they were moving

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    Lets be honest the tug makes RC boating fun reliable and relaxing. I have seen a few Fast electrics get thrown faster then they were moving
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Hi all for retrieving my FE boats i built the electric Go for published around 1994 in RCBM bought the plan from Air age . The go-for is 36'' lg with a 26'' beam looks like a crude catamaran with the 2 seperate hulls joined together by 1/2 PVC pipe with no rudders but instead set-up using a seperate motor esc and battery for port and starboard my one friend who is the club recovery captain has no problem using this set-up to retrieve stalled or flipped boats but he is also an avid r/c tank modeler as for the rest of us it is a nightmare to get used to this set-up i tried for several years to get the hang off this set-up. Right now im in the process of building the Zippkits twin tugster along with a retrieval attachment to be connected to the 2 bow post this rig is made from 3/4'' PVC pipe covered in foam pipe insulation.Regards Andris Golts.

What do you guys think about traxxas blast. Newer one i can get for 90 bucks?

Hi Jake not familiar with the boat but Traxxas are a good quality product . Regards Andris Golts.

i'm not too crazy about my tug boat (the way it is) now that I ran it and saw how hard it is to bring in a decent sized from a distance... you could barely see what you are doing.
    Though I have found it can unintentionally flip the boat back over with a blip on throttle. So perhaps making the bumpers extend downward more shaped like a plow to help it do just that

Towing using a floating line with a floating hook or tennis ball without having to push and maneuver the flipped boat back to shore will be the best way to go

Flipping the rescue tug is also a concern... So I'm thinking to add some pool noodle on the sides to keep it hold steady on the water.

I like to take two boats out with me and a spinning reel that way I can use either of the boats as a rescue boat. If I'm running a boat and something goes wrong and they get stranded out on the water I'll grab the second boat and snap the snap swivel that's on the end of the fishing line that's spun in the spinning reel to the back of the boat, then I'll send the second boat out and do a loop around the stranded boat and bring the second boat back to shore, then I'll step on the fishing line behind the boat and pick up the fishing pole and reel the line in bringing the stranded boat in with it that catches the hardware ...

A pair of waders (worn under the lifejacket), we have a purpose built model boating lake that is this deep all over.waders_o.jpg
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Im using a KMB jet boat running on 4s and a pvc fork up front.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast