Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery boat.. What does everyone use

Default Recovery boat.. What does everyone use

Getting my revolt 30 here soon hopefully..
    For the time being I'm going to use a fishing pole with a tennis ball, but eventually want a CHEAP recovery boat.

So this has brought me to the used cheap boat market and ebay.

this boat will ONLY be used as a recovery boat, doesn't have to be fast or anything. Looking for 2.4ghz (obviously) and atleast 5 minutes of run time.

this def isn't hobby grade : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PX-16-1-16-...0AAOSwGHJaZ~aY
    BUT it has a lipo battery and seems to be maybe a deans plug. and its fairly big?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fei...gAAOSwWxNYq7ng
    this also has a lipo.

My thinking is, these small lipos can be had very cheap so it would be easy to get more run time..

Thoughts?

Cool

Before you go too cheap remember that a recovery boat needs to be dependable. It needs to have enough power to push/pull a boat against wind and/or current at a decent speed (or it may run out of battery). It needs to be very maneuverable to be able to “attach” itself to the dead boat.

Another requirement is range. Most cheap boats have short ranges, the boat referenced says it’s range is 100 meters, but who really knows? You may end up with two dead boats. Plus it apparently has no throttle, just forward and stop. You may be better off buying a used, better quality boat. Just some things to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Engine-...ews/B0153R9IY8

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Yes Fluid is exactly correct there. i made up a aero prop design rescue boat and it was both under powered and was also very hard to turn tight. you need good power and good maneuverability for a successfull rescue boat. plus don,t run out of radio range.

I think the most effective rescue boats have dual props with steering mixing. You’ll want to turn on a dime, it’s not easy getting on the dead boat. Wind and eye sight make it a bit of a challenge.

I use this setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a canoe, 12volt battery, an a trolling motor. I go for a boat ride. Sometimes I catch a fish or two along the way, two hobbies same pond twice the fun.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Where in Indy are you?

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Where in Indy are you?
    Noblesville fishers area

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I use this setup...
    What is that

Our Indy admirals fast electric season starts soon (April). Come check out a race, lots of fun running with other people. We run at 465 and Binford blvd area.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...s-RC-Boat-club

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    What is that

It’s an Hydro-Net, a leave catcher for a swimming pool. I upgraded it to a longer range radio and a dual mixer ESC for the DC motors in the dual outboards. Also put a LiPo 3S battery in it, it had a NiCad originally. It works good! It nest the stranded boat quite well..
    Last edited by CraigP; 03-16-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Corrected boat name

An AquaCraft Atlantic II tug works good for me. Even if you loose the recovery float in an attempted rescue it can still push the boats in with the Bow that is wrapped in semi sticky rubber. See it in action below. For my bigger boats the AquaCraft Fire Rescue boat is my choice.

TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    It’s an Aqua Net, a leave catcher for a swimming pool. I upgraded it to a longer range radio and a dual mixer ESC for the DC motors in the dual outboards. Also put a LiPo 3S battery in it, it had a NiCad originally. It works good! It nest the stranded boat quite well..
    Bet it does!

Ok those are valid points. I need to find a 20"+ boat and make a pvc floating deal to hold the boat and push it.

9E3CB6D9-E7B3-4212-B749-83EDE952EA44.jpg1AD9520D-5942-4BB8-8C6C-4A416B47E2E7.jpg2400F625-A9BE-4416-A8D9-BF2CE7A9BE95.jpg

Zippkits tug boat is pretty nice, super cheap and easy to put together. Took me 1-2 days to put mine together. It was like $50

Thinking maybe to put a sort of an extendable "trolling" rod on the back - like a sturdy antenna of some kind with a dull treble hook/line

I was considering the fire glass tugboats from hydromarine.de or Mhz powerboats before but they were easily $300-400 after Euro to US dollar conversion and shipping.

Unless you go route of overkill --
    rescue1.jpgIMG_0587.jpg
    Last edited by dmitry100; 03-15-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Also doing some tests and using parts that I was finding recovering.

Golfito, that’s a nice configuration. But it doesn’t need speed... The prop should be deep, not even close to surface riding. I would put two motors in it, for dual counter rotating props. Then use a very low pitch set of props, to deliver good pushing power. The motors can be 560 brushed type for a cheaper build. There are dual motor tank or bot ESC’s that have the mixing built into them, so you can turn the boat 360 degrees on its center axis. But if they ever make a rescue boat race class, I think you’ll have them all smoked!

I've had floating U tube for my rescue boat and it works fine until I tried just connecting a fishing line for fly fishing. It floats so you can see it and at the other end are some bobbers with barbless treble hooks and this works faster and more efficient for me. I just run the boat with the fly line quickly to the stranded boat and circle around it a few times and bring it in. With some good motors on the rescue boat you can get there quite fast and it brings it in pretty quick. I like the idea that I can get to the stranded boat fast just in case it was caused by a crash or a severe crash where water is getting in through cracks or a loose canopy. Then I can get it back to shore quickly. Also it's not so cumbersome as with the rescue boat with the U foam configuration . .I call it the goal since it's shaped like the football goal posts. But whatever you choose it's always good to have a rescue boat of some kind.

Vac-U-Tug with a length of floating fly line and a few floats. It can pull my GP400 against the wind. SLOWLY..but it can do it.

my tug is running a 2pole 1700kv castle motor on 3 cells using a 30mm 3blade prop - can this generate too much heat from the partial load, or should it be fine? currently it has a seaking 180 on it but from my experience a bit of partial load can easily burn it to a crisp. i'm putting a water pump into it for extra safety. Kind of want a bulletproof dependable setup here... nothing worse than having 2 boats that need rescuing

you might want to use a cheaper and lower amp esc than the 180 for your set up.

Sorry for the long video, but it's as real time as it gets....... Love my recovery vessel

Quote Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post

Sorry for the long video, but it's as real time as it gets....... Love my recovery vessel
    thats fine for when the boat is right in front of you. what happens when it's 150 yards away?

Vintage Latrax Cigarette hull from the late 70s early 80's with first gen Pro Boat Shockwave 26 brushed 540 running gear. I made a cradle out of 3/4 inch PVC and pipe insulation that this pushes to sweep up the other boat. The boat was given to me from a friend on a R/C car forum but all the electronics were fried, I figured I should use it some how. It works good because the plastic is pretty heavy and it has a wide beam. And the new steerable out-drive makes it maneuverable.

DSCN3012.jpgDSCN3013.jpg

I use a Dumas air boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    Vac-U-Tug with a length of floating fly line and a few floats. It can pull my GP400 against the wind. SLOWLY..but it can do it.
    Guys.
    To make things really easy on the rescue boat's motor,ESC,& battery, have it tow the line out & around the stricken boat, with the line attached to a fishing rod & reel. Put the transmitter for the rescue boat down in a safe place, & reel both boats in with the fishing rod.
    And there you have it. "The catch of the day".

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    thats fine for when the boat is right in front of you. what happens when it's 150 yards away?
    I have a 5.8 video transmitter, works bitchin

Quote Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post

nice.....

Im building an FPV recovery barge, I have river currents, tides and big vegetation along the sides of the river at my house so the dead race boat could actually be out of site and you might not be able to get behind it to retrieve the broken boat if it gets in the vegetation, so I am engineering a crane and grappling hook with a forward and reverse 30lb rock crawler winch ...my fpv cam is a mini cam with built in video transmitter running on a tiny 4v battery all tucked inside a tiny Polaroid cube camera waterproof housing and I have a set of Fat Shark goggles to use from my racing drone.
    Now living on the columbia river I have boats and kayaks to retrieve the dead RC boats but this is more fun than paddling out to a dead sinking boat while cursing, I also have running lights, yellow flashing lights the camera will be mounted on a servo so it can turn to any angle. The only thing I havent come to terms with is powering it, I do have a couple spare outboards I may use.

fpvcam.jpghjkjioj[o.jpghjupiokop.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    nice.....

Im building an FPV recovery barge, I have river currents, tides and big vegetation along the sides of the river at my house so the dead race boat could actually be out of site and you might not be able to get behind it to retrieve the broken boat if it gets in the vegetation, so I am engineering a crane and grappling hook with a forward and reverse 30lb rock crawler winch ...my fpv cam is a mini cam with built in video transmitter running on a tiny 4v battery all tucked inside a tiny Polaroid cube camera waterproof housing and I have a set of Fat Shark goggles to use from my racing drone.
    Now living on the columbia river I have boats and kayaks to retrieve the dead RC boats but this is more fun than paddling out to a dead sinking boat while cursing, I also have running lights, yellow flashing lights the camera will be mounted on a servo so it can turn to any angle. The only thing I havent come to terms with is powering it, I do have a couple spare outboards I may use.

fpvcam.jpghjkjioj[o.jpghjupiokop.jpg
    Very interesting. . .would like to see this to completion and see it tested.

Madprops, what are the currents like on your river? I've never touched a river before mostly thinking the currents would either make it much harder to drive on or make it much much harder for recovery especially for a heavier cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast